Author Topic: Inspirational Songs that people think of- What are some of yours?  (Read 6125 times)

MDemisay

• Forever Thankful for Supportive ANA Friends!
 Hi all!

When I think of songs that keep playing over and over in my mind as I go through this process of surviving with Irv ( my AN), I keep "hearing"  Jimi Hendrix playing "Hear My Train a Coming", I realize that this is a tongue in cheek way of dealing with this, but I also choose to deal with it that way. Another song that comes to mind is the Beatles "Long and Winding Road" symbolizing the journey that we all face.

Do you have inspirational songs as well? Please share them!

Mike
1974 - Dr. Michelson  Colombia Presbyterian removal of 3 Arterio Venous Malformations
2004- Dr. Sisti  NY Presbyterian subtotal removal of 3.1 cm AN,
2012 - June 11th Dr. Sisti Gamma Knife (easy-breasily done)"DEAD IRV" play taps!
Research, research, research then decide and trust in God's Hands!

Tod

• My blog (work and life)
Re: Inspirational Songs that people think of- What are some of yours?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2012, 12:15:03 pm »
Two days before surgery, my neurosurgeon's nurse called me mid afternoon and told me that in preparation for surgery, the doc realized the MRI did not go deep enough into the neck and wanted to know if I could get over for another MRI.  I said yes, it was only short walk and I could be there 15 minutes.

At the time, the song playing was Billy Joe Shaver's version of "I'm Going to Live Forever." I thought that was a good sign as it was also playing at the time they called me with a date for surgery.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aeJ4kp1AwY4

-Tod
Bob the tumor: 4.4cm x 3.9cm x 4.1 cm.
Trans-Lab and Retro-sigmoid at MCV on 2/12/2010.

Removed 90-95% in a 32 hour surgery. Two weeks in ICU.  SSD Left.

http://randomdatablog.com

BAHA implant 1/25/11.

28 Sessions of FSR @ MCV ended 2/9/12.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2012, 03:22:20 pm »
Mike ~

Obviously, song preferences are purely subjective and, to be honest, I don't usually rely on songs for inspiration in tough times.  That stated, the spiritual 'Wayfaring Stranger' is always quite moving. For a 'love song' I really like Paul McCartney's 1970 classic 'Maybe I'm Amazed' (dedicated to his wife, Linda).  Although I realize this next one is ancient (like me), I have to admit that my all-time favorite 'pop' song would be Judy Garland's heartbreaking 1939 rendition of 'Over the Rainbow'.  Her purity of voice (she was a relatively unspoiled 17), the plaintiff tone she uses and the poignant lyrics combine to make the song inspirational as well as a delight on a strictly musical basis. 

Jim 
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

MDemisay

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2012, 11:41:37 am »
Dear Tod and Jim,

Thank you for sharing something so personal  and intimate! For seeing that there was reason to hope as we deal in our collective AN struggles.

Hopefully others will be inspired by our thoughts and find comfort in our musical selections as well.

Judy Garland is a Halloween favorite of mine ever since I was a kid Jim. You are in good company with that uplifting song.

Truly inspiring and thought provoking! Yours as well Tod!

Isn't that what we are here for? To give hope to each other?

Keep on reaching, you shall achieve what you are looking for one day, it is my hope that we all will!

Mike
1974 - Dr. Michelson  Colombia Presbyterian removal of 3 Arterio Venous Malformations
2012 - June 11th Dr. Sisti Gamma Knife (easy-breasily done)"DEAD IRV" play taps!

Soundy

• prophetic picture done by my 5 year old, June'04
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2012, 05:26:26 pm »
dispite every thing bad , wrong or just plain evil in this world it is still a wonderful place

What A Wonderful World .... Louis Armstrong

3mm AN discovered Aug 2004
Translab July 2 ,2007
3.2cm x 2.75cm x 3.3cm @ time of surgery

Ned

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2012, 07:01:58 pm »
When I had FSR, 9 years ago, my treatment lasted 17 minutes if everything went well,  I chose the songs i would listen to for all 26 treatments,  it made the mask and the machine bearable.
2003   1.5cmX1,6cmx1.3cm
FSR Sara Cannon Cancer Center  Nashville
2006  1.1 cmX1.2cmX .9cm

HisHands

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2012, 11:18:44 pm »
After the discovery of my tumor, I was very distressed.  Although I turn to God for comfort and inspiration, there were two primary songs that ministered to me significantly. One was by a contemporary Christian band named Building 429; odd name for a band, but it was derived from a Biblical passage known as Ephesians 4:29 which encourages building up others.  The song is "Where I Belong."  I was very encouraged by this portion of the lyrics: 
So when the walls come falling down on me
And when I'm lost in the current of a raging sea
I have this blessed assurance holding me.

The other song is by Jason Gray, a contemporary Christian singer-songwriter from Minnesota; the song is "Remind Me Who I Am."  The song is beautiful and here's part of the lyrics that I played over and over in my mind:
In the loneliest places,
When I can't remember what grace is.
Tell me once again who I am to You,

I found inspiration and encouragement in many areas; one being this forum.  THANK YOU ANA FORUM!  Emma
Emma
1.5 x 1.5 x 2cm AN in left ear;  MRI 11/16/2011;  GK on 12/16/11

...In Your hand is power and might and Your hand gives strength to all.... I Chronicles 29:12

MDemisay

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2012, 07:16:45 pm »
Guys,

I'm watching Il Volo now on PBS and I totally forgot about "Smile" ;D!

Mike