Author Topic: First 3 days Don't Count....Why?  (Read 5049 times)

mindyandy

• Loving Life
First 3 days Don't Count....Why?
« on: February 23, 2012, 02:10:41 pm »
I am wanting to know why the first 3 days don't count. Is is because.....
1. You are just so out of it that you don't remember much of the first 3 days?
2. Is it really that miserable that you don't count the first 3 days?

I'm hopin you pick #1 not #2....LOL

Thank you
Mindy
14mm dx 9/07. CK done Seattle  1 year MRI showed some shrinkage. 4 year MRI 2mm growth nothing conclusive. Trigminal nerve involvment Retrosigmoid Friedmand/Schwartz HEI March 7,2012

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: First 3 days Don't Count....Why?
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2012, 04:05:21 pm »
Mindy ~

For most AN surgery patients, it's #1.  Coming out of a long surgery (mine was 9 hours) and all the anesthetic you receive, you're groggy and, in my case, extremely tired (fatigued).  You just don't care about much except sleep.  Well, that was my experience.

The good news is that by Day 3, most AN surgery patients are feeling better (I was) and without any complications, most are discharged by Day 5 (my experience).  Of course, I have to add the caveat that every AN surgery patient has a slightly different experience but I think it's safe to assume that the reason the 'first 3 days don't count' is attributable to #1 on your list of choices. :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

mk

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2012, 06:49:50 pm »
Hmm, I am hesitating a bit on whether I should post this reply. I will though, because I think it is better to be prepared.
My answer would be #2. I can say that I was keenly aware of what was going on for most of the time after I woke up from surgery, even though of course I slept a lot. The worst for me was the nausea from the anesthetic, which lasted for 2 days. I couldn't keep anything down. Gravol was my best friend. I don't remember any pain or other discomfort, just the nausea. They actually kept me 2 nights in ICU, because they didn't want to send me to a regular room until I was able to keep some food down. The other major "inconvenience" was that I was sweating from the steroids, and couldn't sleep for more than 2 hours at a time.
I guess saying "the first 3 days don't count" sounds scary, but what this means is that it will get much better after the first 3 days, so don't get discouraged. You are in great hands Mindy, don't worry, everything will go well.

Marianna
GK on April 23rd 2008 for 2.9 cm AN at Toronto Western Hospital. Subsequent MRIs showed darkening initially, then growth. Retrosigmoid surgery on April 26th, 2011 with Drs. Akagami and Westerberg at Vancouver General Hospital. Graduallly lost hearing after GK and now SSD but no other issues.

JAndrews

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2012, 08:10:39 pm »
I was in and out of it for a while.. I felt disconnected....I would wake up and think I was at home, then I would remember the surgery ..I was groggy...but I clearly remember walking quite a bit on the 3rd day. I remember waking up with a terrible headache and neck ache ( I was in surgery 6 1/2 hours) then I heard the nurse say the morphine wasn't helping me. Then I heard the doctor say give her dilaudid..the headache/neck ache was gone....immediately. I stayed on the dilaudid around the clock for 3 days then backed off and eventually took percocet..but I also made sure I never got a headache. The last percocet I took was when my stitches were taken out..I had a long flight home..I was in CA for 2 weeks total. I left the day after the stitches were removed. But I never had a headache again..not even on the flight home.
2.5cm x2.0cm cerebellapontine angle meningioma. 100% removal 2/2009. House Ear Institute. Dr Brackmann and Dr. Schwartz. SSD right ear. No balance problems except when really tired, no headaches. Transear hearing aide made no difference, tried it for 4 months.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2012, 11:17:29 pm »
In my case, #2.

The first 3 days were my toughest - just waking up post op is quite a shock if you've never had major surgery. 

But the goods news is, that with time, things typically get better fairly fast.  I found that each day post op I made progress.  Although some days were better than others - one step forward and two steps back.

The other goods news is I've found that while I remember generalities of my hospital stay, now that I'm almost 5 years post op, the specific details are a little foggy. 

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2012, 07:25:39 am »
Mindy .....

I have to agree with Jan ..... those first couple of days are pretty grim post-op, but you quickly feel better and the brain has a wonderful way of forgetting about it.

I've had three craniotomies and I can tell you, the third one (for whatever reason) at HEI was the easiest post-op.  The medical staff knows how to quickly deal with any post-op issues of pain or nausea.  But ..... it is major surgery and you are mostly likely going to feel rather lousy for at least 24 hours post-op ..... need to be honest here.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

mindyandy

• Loving Life
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2012, 09:44:59 am »
Thank you for your honest answers. I have not had major surgery. I don't believe so at least.
I have had 2 c-sections which you are awake for. I had a DNC done which was quick. I was out and woke up fine.
 I had eye surgeries. I only remember 1 and I remember I woke up just to vomit. This is how I woke up. Then back to sleep and then the nurse said it was time to go home. I walked drunk and the room was spinning I was soooo sick.

Mindy
14mm dx 9/07. CK done Seattle  1 year MRI showed some shrinkage. 4 year MRI 2mm growth nothing conclusive. Trigminal nerve involvment Retrosigmoid Friedmand/Schwartz HEI March 7,2012

cindyj

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2012, 09:54:48 am »
Yes, I always understood the "first 3 days don't count" to mean they are pretty rough, but then things start to improve...that was true in my case as well and I was glad that my forum buddies had mentioned it...it did help get me through those first days knowing that it would be better very soon...and it was!  Of course, we have had folks here tell of waking up and right away having nice conversations w/ family, eating a meal and being up and about...so, you never know.  But, be prepared for at least a couple of tough days...you WILL get through them, though! 

cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

mindyandy

• Loving Life
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2012, 10:11:07 am »
Thanks Cindy. I had a rough time after eye surgery which was about a 45 minute surgery. I was so dizzy and sick. I told myself I am not doing that again. LOL I will be sure to tell the anastesiologist to put extra strength anti nausea meds in  ;D

cindyj

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2012, 02:30:37 pm »
Anesethesia makes me quite nauseous also (ok, very) and for other surgeries I have been able to put the patch on to prevent nausea, but they would not let me have it for the AN surgery...said it would slow up the compensation of the brain.  However, they do give you the anti-nausea stuff thru IV - helped some, but what helped me most was when I was finally able to get up and start walking...that and plenty of Coke for my caffeine addiction  :)

cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

Rivergirl

• Rivergirl
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2012, 07:53:46 pm »
I would say #2 but only cause i don't think you even begin to recover until day 3.  I was in for 5 days by the time I was discharged I was taking Tylenol, those dam narcotics had me so nauseous and vomiting as soon as I got off them I did a whole lot better.  I rathered the pain than the nausea.  For me the more I walked the better i got, it was hard but I pushed it cause I could feel it getting me better.  It is a tough recovery for some and others do great.  I hope you have a swift and great recovery.
Diagnosed 6/2008
Right AN 2cmx8x9
Sub-Occipital at Mass General with Martusa and McKenna on 5/31/11
Right SSD, very little taste
I think I will make it!

james e

• 72 years, 1.7cm, trans lab Mar 2010, BAHA 5
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2012, 10:29:52 am »
I had a 10 hour surgery that ended at 5:30PM. I was walking at 7:00 the next morning. I had a breakfast of eggs, bacon, toast, pancakes , coffee and orange juice right before I started walking. I was a little tired, but I was never "out of it." I walked every hour just because I was bored, and I just could not stay in that awful bed. My sleep  schedule was normal. I read, watched TV, had visitors. Everyone has a different experience. I lift  weights every day. I was in tip top physical condition. I stay that way. I eat the correct foods, don't smoke, no alcohol. I EXPECTED to feel good following the surgery. I know some people are have a tough time following surgery. Probably most of it is physical, but some of it just mental. I am just one of those people that just "rubs some dirt on it and keeps playing." That doesn't work for everyone, but it worked for me. I had a heart surgery (PFO closure) to correct a birth defect following a stroke when I was 59, and walked in my room hours after the surgery. Knowing me, I will walk following my autopsy, but I am not in a hurry to try that one out.

Don't expect to feel great, but just try to "stay on top of it" if you can. Recovery is slow. Just let it happen.

James

Rivergirl

• Rivergirl
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2012, 07:41:36 pm »
James.......just read your post, you are amazing.......just goes to show you being in good shape helps so much.
Diagnosed 6/2008
Right AN 2cmx8x9
Sub-Occipital at Mass General with Martusa and McKenna on 5/31/11
Right SSD, very little taste
I think I will make it!