Author Topic: House Ear Clinic offers Gamma Knife too  (Read 6007 times)

Raydean

House Ear Clinic offers Gamma Knife too
« on: July 30, 2006, 01:40:05 pm »
I debated which section to place this posting, but thought more would see it here.  I'll also post in the Radiation section.

Best to all
Raydean

July 28, 2006 12:46 PM US Eastern Timezone
House Clinic Now Offers Less Invasive Treatment for Acoustic Neuromas; Gamma Knife(R) Technology at Good Samaritan Hospital Provides Patients Alternative to Surgery
LOS ANGELES--(BUSINESS WIRE)--July 28, 2006--The House Clinic, renowned leader for its expertise in hearing care, now offers patients an alternative treatment for acoustic neuromas with the use of the Gamma Knife(R) at Good Samaritan Hospital. The House Clinic, with locations in Los Angeles, Encino, Huntington Beach, Orange County, and Santa Monica, has been advancing hearing treatments since 1946.

Acoustic neuroma (or vestibular schwannoma) is one of the most common types of brain tumors. It is a benign, non-cancerous, often slow-growing tumor on the vestibular nerve that runs alongside the auditory and facial nerves connecting the ear to the brain. Acoustic neuromas account for six percent of all primary intracranial tumors, and if not removed, can cause hearing loss, balance or facial nerve problems, and even death.

Though several forms of treatment for acoustic neuromas are available, the primary form of treatment is surgery. Depending on the size of the tumor, about half of all acoustic neuromas are presently treated by surgically removing the tumor preventing complications from tumor growth. Surgery may enable preservation of hearing but the process may result in a longer recovery time. About 95 percent of patients with small and medium tumors will have no permanent facial paralysis following surgery; however, roughly a third of patients with large tumors will have some permanent facial weakness following surgery.

The Gamma Knife(R) is an alternative treatment for selected acoustic neuromas with minimal short and long-term risks. The Gamma Knife(R) is a 20-ton medical instrument that emits 201 focused beams of gamma radiation into the direct location of the tumor with pin point precision and minimum effect on the surrounding healthy tissues. There are no incisions, little or no pain, and a low risk of complications.

"By adding the Gamma Knife(R) to our broad range of treatment options, our patients will now benefit from a comprehensive approach to their care," said Derald E. Brackmann, M.D., president of the House Clinic. "Good Samaritan Hospital has a long tradition of care in Los Angeles and we at the House Clinic are very excited to be a part of that tradition."

According to Marc Schwartz, M.D., a neurosurgeon with the House Clinic, "The Gamma Knife(R) capability at Good Samaritan Hospital is an option that allows patients to be treated without surgery. Recovery times with this procedure are much shorter." Dr. Schwartz has been using Gamma Knife(R) in the treatment of acoustic neuromas and other problems for approximately four years.

Good Samaritan Hospital is one of a few facilities on the West Coast with an updated Gamma Knife(R) Stereotactic Model C unit. The new unit uses the latest technology to administer gamma radiation to treat benign and malignant tumors and other functional brain disorders. To date, Good Samaritan Hospital's Gamma Knife(R) program has treated over 2,200 patients.

About the House Clinic and the House Ear Institute

House Clinic and House Ear Institute are affiliated with the University of Southern California School of Medicine and provide instructions in otology and neurotology to the otolaryngology residents at the USC/LAC Medical Center. House Clinic physicians also volunteer their time teaching specialty courses in the House Ear Institute's education program and around the world. To date, over 22,000 doctors have received professional training in the House Ear Institute facilities.

About Good Samaritan Hospital

First opened in 1885, Good Samaritan Hospital is a 408-bed tertiary care facility offering some of the most comprehensive care in Los Angeles. Good Samaritan Hospital offers Cardiology and Cardiothoracic Surgery, and Neurosciences program featuring the Gamma Knife(R) radiosurgery, Opthalmologic Program including Retinal Surgery, Orthopedic Surgical Program including Sports Medicine, Oncology Program using the latest in radiation therapy -- IMRT and HDR, Women's Services, Kidney Stone services, Samaritan Imaging Center, Transfusion-Free Medicine and Surgery Center, and Emergency Services. Good Samaritan Hospital is affiliated with the USC Keck School of Medicine and Harbor-UCLA Medical Center. For more information visit www.goodsam.org.

Contacts
Good Samaritan Hospital
Katrina R. Bada, 213-977-2911
« Last Edit: July 30, 2006, 01:42:29 pm by Raydean »
Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

tony

Re: House Ear Clinic offers Gamma Knife too
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2006, 01:07:55 am »
I am amazed - I always thought they(HEI) were good - but anti-radiotherapy.
Never occurred to me that they were anti - simply because they did not have
the equipment....
Best regards
Tony

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2006, 04:54:57 am »
wow! Thanks Raydean.  Found the article rather interesting.  I am not familiar with the "new model C" Gamma so am curious about the "Model C".  For Dr. Brackmann to work this relationship with Good Samaritan is huge and glad to see that this relationship is now formed.  Curious about the reporter's notation of

"Acoustic neuroma (or vestibular schwannoma) is one of the most common types of brain tumors.....Acoustic neuromas account for six percent of all primary intracranial tumors." 

I thought that AN's only made up 6% of all brain tumors... and not that common.  Did I get that wrong?

Raydean, thanks for sharing! This is, indeed, major news!

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

jamie

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2006, 09:54:20 am »
I'm honestly at a loss for words, didn't expect to see that when I logged on this morning, but it's a great thing IMO. Wow, HEI got a GK....I thought I was crazy, but I knew that was a pig I saw flying on my way to work today. Very good news indeed.
CyberKnife radiosurgery at Barrow Neurological Institute; 2.3 cm lower cranial nerve schwannoma

Derek

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2006, 11:02:39 am »
Hi all...

Just about to 'sign up' to GK treatment here in the UK when I saw this post re the 'new' version of the Gamma Knife which I believe, according to the manufacturers (Elekta) website, is also known as the 'Perfexion' model?

This has resulted in a diema re do I just go ahead with the existing 'old' version (don't think we have the 'new' one yet anywhere in the UK) or seek treatment at a hospital which has the 'new'version? I have been unable to elicit any response to my query from the manufacturer.

Is anyone knowlegeable re any perceived patient benefits with the 'new' version i.e. is there any improvement iin the method of treatment and whether the known side-effects risks of treatment are reduced etc?

Regards

Derek
« Last Edit: July 31, 2006, 01:50:05 pm by Derek »
Residing UK. In 'watch & wait' since diagnosis in March 2002 with right side AN. Initially sized at 2.5cm and now self reduced to 1.3cm.
All symptoms have abated except impaired hearing on affected side which is not a problem for me.

marka

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2006, 11:14:26 am »
Hi Derek,

When I spoke to Prof. Lindquist at the Cromwell Hospital in London in early July he mentioned they will be getting the 'perfexion' (sp?) system in september for their GK operation. He did make it sound like a software update and not so much a hardware update, but I have not looked into this in depth.

Cheers,

mark

tony

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2006, 01:13:34 pm »
Whilst I am sure all medical treatment/equipment is getting better all
the time - there is still something to be said for a proven track record
-the older gamma knife has a reasonably successfull/predictive outcome.
It maybe many years before a newer machine is proven as better
- and to some degree it is the knowledge and experiance on a given machine
that determins the results e.g.
(A personal view, of course)
Noren, on (almost) any gamma machine seems most likely to succeed
- the experiance would of paramount importance
best regards
tony

Derek

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2006, 01:41:31 pm »
Thanks for the info Mark and for your credible response Tony.

Regards

Derek
Residing UK. In 'watch & wait' since diagnosis in March 2002 with right side AN. Initially sized at 2.5cm and now self reduced to 1.3cm.
All symptoms have abated except impaired hearing on affected side which is not a problem for me.

gratus

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2006, 09:19:07 pm »
Hey, Derek,

The GK is made by a company called Elekta. I found lots of information on their website elekta.com Go there and in the "Healthcare Professionals" section, click on Gamma Knife surgery; on the next page is a products area where you can click on the various models.

Hope this helps,
Joanne

Derek

« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2006, 05:17:59 am »
Hi Joanne...

Thanks a lot for that info...I have now ascertained that my proposed treatment centre at Sheffield in the UK has installed the updated GK unit model C4.

Regards

Derek