Author Topic: finding out stats?  (Read 2175 times)

madison

finding out stats?
« on: April 04, 2012, 03:09:47 pm »
Hello!  I was wondering how to find out specific statistics.  Do surgeons usually have a compilation of info. at the ready such as how many AN surgeries they've done in the past 3 years and the outcomes, etc...
also, if someone could tell me how to post a photo on this forum, I'd really appreciate it.  I'm not computer savvy so please make it as easy as possible. thanks! ;)
Pennsylvania:female: 40 yrs. old
R ACOUSTIC NEUROMA;GAMMA KNIFE FEB. 2008
multiple meningiomas
scheduled for translab @ Thomas Jefferson in Phila. Pa. on 6/18/2012

pjb

• Sad to say now a W & W
Re: finding out stats?
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2012, 06:52:19 am »
I hope someone will answer your exact question I have sites where you can look up your physicians and hospitals to see how they are rated that can be very helpful as well if you would like ...

Best Wishes,
Diagnosed with a 1 cm. AN had Retrosigmoid
Approach surgery July of 2009, several problems after surgery.

Marc

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2012, 01:28:16 pm »
Madison,
Hello. This is a difficult and most important question to ask.  I have recently been diagnosed with a large left sided AN.  I have spoken to many medical centers and have decided to have my care at HEI in LA.  I have found the doctors there were able to readily share the "exact" numbers of surgeries with potential co-morbidities/mortality rates. However, they are certainly not the only center of excellence for this surgery.  The ANA site will list other potential medical centers that are also worth exploring.  Searching the web won't yield any success in the number of surgeries performed.  Your best bet would be to ask to speak to one of the surgeons.  This certainly helped in my case.  Hope this is of some value to you.  Good Luck!
-Marc   

4x3x3 Vestibular Schwannoma
Translab @ HEI 04/19/2012
Left SSD, mild facial weakness

lrobie

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2012, 06:26:42 pm »
Madison,

These are the instructions from Jim Scott for posting a picture...

Go here: http://photobucket.com/  Its free.

You'll be offered options for "linking" your photo after you've uploaded it. 

Use the one that will start off something like "http://i395.photobucket.com/..."  Select that text, copy it, then head back here to the ANA forums.  Go to Profile, then Forum Profile Information, then select "I have my own pic:" and paste the URL you copied from Photobucket into that spot.

And from me...

One thing that I noticed is that in the box where you would paste your picture address, there was already http typed in.  Make sure you delete that first.  Also, you need to use the drop down right under your picture on photobucket where you choose the linking choice.

I hope this helps.

Lisa
6/2009 7mm x 4mm  W&W
8/2011 9.5mm x 5mm
2/2012 UPMC Follow-up , slight growth
Surgery on 7/18/12 w/Drs. Friedman & Schwartz (mid-fossa)
www.caringbridge.org/visit/lisarobie

Cindyswart

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2012, 08:59:42 am »
My surgeon had a website and was able to tell me
EXACTLY how many surgeries he had under his belt for exactly what I had. It was most comforting!!
Diagnosed 4/19/11 An 1.5x1.9x2.0
Surgery 8/23/11, Dr Fukushima.
Total tumor removed. SSD.
Second surgery 11/11/11 for abscess

I'm gona work like I don't need the money
I'm gona laugh like I'm not afraid to cry
I'm gona dance like nobody's watchin'
I'm gona love while I still have the time!

Chances3

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2012, 10:35:08 am »
Hi Madison,

You are wise to investigate surgeons before choosing one.  I tried to use the web for information, but this site can be a good source, hopefully you will receive plenty of posts giving names of surgeons and results.  Perhaps you will need to encourage members to send a private email so they feel more comfortable talking about their doctors.

I asked my surgeon the basic questions - how long have you been doing this and how many have you done.  I didn't ask the question about results - that is an excellent question.  I would think that surgeons that are working in high population density areas are doing more of these, than surgeons in rural or very suburban environments. Doctors are an honest bunch, it's extremely rare you would find one that would lie or deceive, and not in the area of brain surgery.  Good luck with your search.