Author Topic: No signal in jugular vein?  (Read 2205 times)

jbbrown15

No signal in jugular vein?
« on: April 21, 2012, 06:16:08 pm »
Has anyone else had an MRV show that one of their jugular veins basically isn't working?  I'm waiting to talk to my neuro-opthamologist, who ordered the test.  I'm wondering if it is related to my AN or if I could be just that unlucky to have 2 independent brain issues by the time I'm 35.  I don't know enough about anatomy to know if the AN (still 2.5+ cms) could be putting pressure on my jugular vein.  They are both on the same side of my head.

Please let me know if you have any experience with this.  I'd be very interested to hear what treatment people have had.

Just to clarify, I never had brain surgery or an iv in my jugular.  I have radiation for the AN and the only other surgery I've had was a c-section wtih an epidural. 

Jean
Jean
2.9 cm AN on left side diagnosed 9/9/2010
Finished 26 sessions of fractionated stereotactic radiation on 11/22/2010
Symptoms of increased intracranial pressure since summer of 2010. Trying to determine if related to AN.  Some good doctors say yes, some good doctors say no.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: No signal in jugular vein?
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2012, 02:21:36 pm »
I have never heard of this.

BTW, what is a MRV?

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: No signal in jugular vein?
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2012, 03:50:45 pm »
I have never heard of this.

BTW, what is a MRV?

Jan ~ 

I copied this from a medical website and thought it would be informative.

An MRV is a type of magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) used to visualize veins.  The MRV uses the same machine as an MRI, but a special computer software allows it to only extract generated-by-blood images, as it flows through the veins. These images give doctors a rough idea of whether blood flow through a vein of interest is affected by blood clots or other disease processes.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.