Author Topic: Flying  (Read 6133 times)

Lou

Flying
« on: April 17, 2012, 08:37:51 am »
Hi all, I was wondering if anyone has flown since being diagnosed, if so did you have to take any special measures. I may need to make an emergency flight back to the US and am a bit nervous as prior to being diagnosed had to have medication from doctors for ear pressure issues
Many thanks
Lou
''The more difficulties one has to encounter, within and without, the more significant and the higher in inspiration his life will be''

Bilateral facial nerve neuromas
8mm left side and 7mm right side. diagnosed late 2011.Watch and Wait Staus -  Currently at
the mercy of the English NHS system

Archer

Re: Flying
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2012, 09:11:27 am »
Lou,
I have flown many times both before and after diagnosis.  I have never had a problem due to the AN.  I have never had any issues with ear pressure either.  If you had those issues before they may or may not be related to the AN but still worth checking with your Dr. prior to flying.  It wouldn't hurt to be sure.

Good luck,
Rich

mandy721

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2012, 09:16:53 am »
My husband flew extensively for work before and after his diagnosis and never had a problem.  After he was diagnosed, he flew without taking any special precautions.  If you had problems with your ears prior to diagnosis, you would   want to check with your doctor as you did before.  Due to the slow growth of AN's, you have probably been flying with it for some time :)

Miranda
Husband diagnosed 5/30/09 with 3.2cm right AN
Surgery at  Columbia Presbyterian 8/4/09
Platinum eye weight implant - 8/17/09
17 days in hospital and rehab
SSD, facial weakness, some tinnitus, headaches , balance and eye problems

Lou

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2012, 02:00:46 pm »
Thanks guys
''The more difficulties one has to encounter, within and without, the more significant and the higher in inspiration his life will be''

8mm left side and 7mm right side. diagnosed late 2011.Watch and Wait Staus -  Currently at

MaryCPereira

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2012, 07:47:29 am »
I flew a couple of weeks ago, and I was nervous about this too. I highly suggest getting the silicone or wax type ear plugs. They should sell them at the local pharmacy. They are used a lot for kids when they are swimming. It says not to break them apart, but I have little tiny ears, so I do. I used these while flying, and I didn't have any issues whatsoever. I actually just left them in for the entire flight, because I was flying alone, and I didn't have to hear any annoying kids or conversations on the plane. It was just me and my book. Best few flights I've ever had, honestly.
And, if people think you're rude for not being social, just tell them you have a brain tumor! I figure if we all have to have this awful thing in our heads, might as well play the card when we can, right?

Lou

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2012, 11:28:21 am »
Love it, will have to try it.
Lou

LisaM

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2012, 09:06:41 pm »
FYI... I was told by an audiologist NOT to wear earplugs as it increases pressure in the ears.  (I used to wear them to sleep).  I too was scared to fly last year as I had to fly coast to coast multiple times. Chewing gum while flying helped to relieve pressure.  I had mild sudden hearing loss after one flight last September but my hearing returned and has been stable since.  I'll be flying again in May... and I will be chewing gum!  Hope this helps. 
Wait & Watch
1st Symptom Temporary SHL 7/10 AN Diagnosed via MRI 4/14/11
AN Size 4/14/11 = 1.4cm x 1.8cm x 1.7cm
AN size 7/14/11 = Same - Stable, no growth
AN Size 2/01/12 = 1.3cm x 1.3cm x 1.6cm (5mm reduction)
AN Size 11/27/12 = less than a centimeter! (50% reduction! And I can still hear!)

MaryCPereira

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2012, 01:06:26 am »
That's strange...my doctor said they are fine to wear, especially when my ears are irritated or sore. He even mentioned how you can get expensive custom fit ones, but I find the wax work well..This wasn't specific to flying, but just in general. I guess whatever works for you. I know that I always get pressure in planes, and even with the AN and all of the symptoms going along with it, this is the first time I didn't feel a thing. I have also chewed gum on previous flights as well, that worked somewhat, too.

Lou

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2012, 06:31:07 am »
I guess as with everything in life, what works for one, doesn't work for another. Trial and error, but as always feedback is much appreciated
Lou

Archer

« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2012, 07:05:31 am »
I wear the foam type ear plugs when I fly.  They don't seem to seal the ear enough that pressure would be a problem but do keep it more comfortable with the high Db noise level in flight.  Just trying to keep the hearing I have left.   ;)

Lou

« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2012, 11:03:30 am »
My consultant gives me ear drops (well prior to diagnosis) had to take them several days prior and after, they seemed to work. Seems like I might be flying soon so will let you know
Lou