Author Topic: Happy Birthday to Me!  (Read 3172 times)

patbiedermann

• One day at a time...small steps!
Happy Birthday to Me!
« on: April 23, 2012, 03:07:10 pm »
Today is my 56th birthday.  A year ago I was sitting in my PCP's office with an anxiety attack (thinking it was a heart attack) about my upcoming surgery (June 13).  It had been since December that we knew about the tumor.  Who would have known that when I awoke from surgery that I would have to relearn how to feed myself, bathe, walk, write (it's still not that great), etc. I wasn't sure I would ever go back to work.  I have been back to work 2 months now, fulltime.  I can do just about everything I was doing before the surgery with some limitations.  I missed the work and the contact with people, but did not miss the pettiness, the office politics, or just the plain old BS of people.  They don't realize just how lucky they are.  I certainly have learned to appreciate life more and to enjoy the simple things.  I still have a ways to go and I will get there.  Like my husband has said all along...it will come back in time.  Have patience! I make  a little progress every day.  It may not be noticeable to others, but I know when I have accomplished something.  Small steps!
Translabyrinthine removal on 6/13/11 for a 3-4 cm cerebellopontine angle tumor (vestibular schwannoma) at University Hospital in Syracuse, NY by Dr. Deshaies and Dr. Woods.  10 1/2  hour surgery.  Got 90-95% of tumor. Hospital stay for 10 days. Inpatient Rehab for 7 days.  doing pretty well.

Tod

• My blog (work and life)
Re: Happy Birthday to Me!
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2012, 03:12:47 pm »
Happy Birthday to you! Enjoy the all the things in life you can do...and the fact that you have a new outlook.

-Tod
Bob the tumor: 4.4cm x 3.9cm x 4.1 cm.
Trans-Lab and Retro-sigmoid at MCV on 2/12/2010.

Removed 90-95% in a 32 hour surgery. Two weeks in ICU.  SSD Left.

http://randomdatablog.com

BAHA implant 1/25/11.

28 Sessions of FSR @ MCV ended 2/9/12.

grammyslim

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2012, 07:03:04 pm »
HAPPY BIRTHDAY - may you have a wonderful day today and many many more to follow.
1.4 cm diagnosed 01/12
significant hearing loss rt side
total balance loss rt side - AN side -
left side already compensated (who knew)
Radiation completed May 2012 - all systems are GO -- so happy I chose radiation near home.

pjb

• Sad to say now a W & W
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2012, 06:46:06 am »
Today is my 56th birthday.  A year ago I was sitting in my PCP's office with an anxiety attack (thinking it was a heart attack) about my upcoming surgery (June 13).  It had been since December that we knew about the tumor.  Who would have known that when I awoke from surgery that I would have to relearn how to feed myself, bathe, walk, write (it's still not that great), etc. I wasn't sure I would ever go back to work.  I have been back to work 2 months now, fulltime.  I can do just about everything I was doing before the surgery with some limitations.  I missed the work and the contact with people, but did not miss the pettiness, the office politics, or just the plain old BS of people.  They don't realize just how lucky they are.  I certainly have learned to appreciate life more and to enjoy the simple things.  I still have a ways to go and I will get there.  Like my husband has said all along...it will come back in time.  Have patience! I make  a little progress every day.  It may not be noticeable to others, but I know when I have accomplished something.  Small steps!

Sounds like a great accomplishment to me whereas you were told you would have to learn to bathe, walk, write and yet you are back at work not a small step at all !!..

Happy Belated Birthday and many many more...

Best Wishes,
Diagnosed with a 1 cm. AN had Retrosigmoid
Approach surgery July of 2009, several problems after surgery.

MDemisay

• Forever Thankful for Supportive ANA Friends!
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2012, 11:33:30 am »
Pat,

A very Happy Birthday to you! Keep up the good work with your recovery and don't sweat the bs and the small stuff at work! Appreciate life more, continue to progress, take your time, smell the roses!

It seems sometimes that the others without our shared diagnosis don't understand, it is exhausting sometimes but we have to explain it to them. Have patience!

Mike
1974 - Dr. Michelson  Colombia Presbyterian removal of 3 Arterio Venous Malformations
2004- Dr. Sisti  NY Presbyterian subtotal removal of 3.1 cm AN,
2012 - June 11th Dr. Sisti Gamma Knife (easy-breasily done)"DEAD IRV" play taps!
Research, research, research then decide and trust in God's Hands!

Suu

• Better out than in.
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2012, 01:43:39 am »
Happy Birthday to you
Happy Birthday to you
Happy Birthday dear Patbiedermann
Happy Birthday to youuuuuuuuuuu!

I loved reading your positive post.  ;D

Hugs,
Suu xxoo
4cm Left side AN Translab August 18th 2010
Facial nerve not working
Nerve conduction Jan '11 Repeated 23rd May '11
SSD left side
5 ops in 6 weeks to fix CSF leaks
Tarsorrhaphy 9 Mar '11 Extended 26 Aug '13
Sling Thur 16 June '11
12/7 nerve graft 9 Feb '12

MaryBKAriz

• Weldon (my ROCK!) and me
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2012, 12:06:22 pm »
Happy B'day, young lady!

Mary  8)
Diagnosed March 24, 2008, 1.1cm, right side, "Goldie" - small but mighty!! :-(
Hearing, lottsa balance problems and a few facial twitches before CK
CK June 2, 2008, BNI in PHX, Drs Daspit/Kresl, side effects,steroids helped. Getting "sea legs".
Apr 2012 - Still glad I chose CK

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2012, 12:09:10 pm »
Happy (belated) Birthday, Pat! 

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.