Author Topic: Gamma knife vs Cyber knife  (Read 4988 times)

MDemisay

• Forever Thankful for Supportive ANA Friends!
Gamma knife vs Cyber knife
« on: March 23, 2012, 11:32:44 am »
Hello All,

Just wanted to confirm something as far as risks go which is better for facial issues and which form of treatment carries more risks of temporary facial paralysis?

Mike

Does anyone know?
1974 - Dr. Michelson  Colombia Presbyterian removal of 3 Arterio Venous Malformations
2004- Dr. Sisti  NY Presbyterian subtotal removal of 3.1 cm AN,
2012 - June 11th Dr. Sisti Gamma Knife (easy-breasily done)"DEAD IRV" play taps!
Research, research, research then decide and trust in God's Hands!

Cheryl R

Re: Gamma knife vs Cyber knife
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2012, 01:53:53 pm »
That also can depend on the tumor location and what damage has the tumor already done to a nerve.   So no matter what type of treatment you choose,if it already has done damage to the nerve, you can not tell which treatment might be best.                   I am sure there is a better answer to this but each dr you talk to might give you a different answer.                   Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

MDemisay

• Forever Thankful for Supportive ANA Friends!
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2012, 02:52:21 pm »
Cheryl,

While I appreciate your answer, it still leaves me puzzled! While I can say that I did have some reaction the first few days of November 2004 after my surgery by Dr. Sisti, when I left the hospital 3 weeks later, due to complications with ambulation, my face returned to normal. The question is should I return for Gamma or go somewhere else and take my chances?

Mike
1974 - Dr. Michelson  Colombia Presbyterian removal of 3 Arterio Venous Malformations
2004- Dr. Sisti  NY Presbyterian subtotal removal of 3.1 cm AN,
2012 - June 11th Dr. Sisti Gamma Knife (easy-breasily done)"DEAD IRV" play taps!
Research, research, research then decide and trust in God's Hands!

JLR

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2012, 06:56:24 am »
Hi Mike, Had CK Dec.2010. I did have facial numbness for a few months. It was temporary. It was annoying. But I knew it would go away. I did notice that my AN side is getting a bit numb again....I'm thinking it's probably just some movement of the AN on the facial nerve and will once again will go away.  Unfortunately, CK as well as GK, even surgery, isn't an easy fix. But all these symptoms/side effects of radiation are (apparently) mostly temporary.  Good luck with your decision, Joan

nftwoed

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2012, 02:45:53 pm »
Hi Mike;
  Not sure, but Dr. Medberry of St. Anthony's Hospital in OKC, does both CK and GK. After reading numerous posts of his on the Cyberknife Support Forum, I really doubt an advantage of either type Tx would could be predicted.
  My feeling is 6, or a half dozen.

Tumbleweed

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2012, 11:50:26 am »
Hi, Mike:

CK generally imposes less risk to all cranial nerves compared to GK (a lot depends on tumor size and location). Because CK fractionates the radiation dosage, it gives the cranial nerves that are incidentally exposed to the radiation a chance to recover between treatments (the tumor doesn't recover as well, so the radiation impacts the AN more).

In another thread, astute forum member Paul W posted a link to recent research published by Stanford U. Medical Center (leading CK facility): http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21558974

Quoting from that research abstract, in 383 patients treated with CK from 1999 to 2007 at Stanford University Medical Center, "There was no case of post-SRS [post-stereotactical radiosurgery] facial weakness. Eight patients (2%) developed trigeminal dysfunction, half of which was transient."

Best wishes,
TW
L. AN 18x12x9 mm @ diagnosis, 11/07
21x13x11 mm @ CK treatment 7/11/08 (Drs. Chang & Gibbs, Stanford)
21x15x13 mm in 12/08 (5 months post-CK), widespread necrosis, swelling
12x9x6 mm, Nov. 2017; shrank ~78% since treatment!
W&W on stable 6mm hypoglossal tumor found 12/08