Author Topic: Ready for treatment  (Read 2416 times)

Twindy

Ready for treatment
« on: May 06, 2012, 03:49:08 pm »
Hello,
I was new here a few months ago and just want to say thank you to all of you responded to my questions or offered support.  After visits with several doctors (and a cancelled surgery!), I have decided to have radiosurgery.  I've read on here that radiosurgery is not possible at the University of Iowa, but I just want to make it clear that it is an option here, you just need to know who to talk to.  I will be going in for prep tomorrow and the procedure on Tues.
Thanks again to you all.

TJ

• 1.2 cm AN right side, CK November 2010
Re: Ready for treatment
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2012, 05:58:21 pm »
Glad you feel good about the decision, good luck

TJ

BeckyMax

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2012, 06:27:33 pm »
Twindy,
I went back and read a few of your posts and see that we were diagnosed very close together and are the same age as well.  I'm glad that you slowed things down and took the time to reach a decision on your own.  Are you having CK or GK?    I'm currently watch and wait, scheduled for next MRI in August.  I've pretty much decided that CK will be my choice of treatment if it becomes necessary.  However, there is a new Proton Therapy center opening here in St. Louis and I am definitely interested in learning more about that as well.

Please keep us updated on your treatment and the side effects, I'll be watching for your updates.   Good luck and be confident in your choice.

Becky
7mm x 5 mm Left AN, diagnosed 2/9/12
7mm x 6 mm  8/12
9mm x 7 mm  8/13
Cyberknife 12/13

Cheryl R

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2012, 07:23:40 am »
Twindy, I have been wondering how you were doing and if had decided on treatment yet.      My question also is what type are you having?      I am probably the one who said wasn't available at UIHC as had been told that but some time ago.                  I hope it goes well for you and will be thinking of you!
                                                                    Cheryl R

Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

Twindy

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2012, 06:42:31 am »
It was a Linac machine, so a little different from GK and CK but I'd say more like GK.  There was a ring in place and just one dose.  I don't understand the differences in all of these machines, but have been told it's like Coke and Pepsi and that expertise in using a particular machine is what is important.  Cheryl, there were a few others here who thought that, so I just want others to know for future that it can be done at Iowa.  They don't do a lot of ANs, so that is the downside, but do hundreds of other benign head tumors.  The radiologist is top-notch and it is a top-notch center so I felt comfortable.  Also, he did a lot more ANs at Florida before coming to Iowa.  Since I live right here, I decided to do it here as follow up will be easy and as hearing goes, I will have a good center to deal with that as well.  Dr. Gantz was involved in the planning and will continue to be involved with hearing issues. 

I'm doing well.  Will post later in post-treatment (whew!) about how it went.

Bonnie B.

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2012, 09:45:49 am »
I'm so glad you have reached your decision.  I think that's half the battle.  I had GK done at Yale New Haven in Connecticut 7 weeks ago.   I have never once regretted my choice.

Keep us posted and I'll be thinking of you.

Bonnie

1.7 cm AN diagnosed 1/31/12
GK 3/15/12
1.7 cm AN
diagnosed January, 2012 - no hearing L ear
GK surgery done March 15, 2012 at Yale New Haven Hospital, New Haven, Ct.
Dr. Chiang and Dr. Yu