Author Topic: Hair Loss?  (Read 4450 times)

JWW

Hair Loss?
« on: May 09, 2012, 08:54:51 pm »
Have any of you had any major or minor hair loss with FSR?

JW

Taiwan Jesse

Re: Hair Loss?
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2012, 09:13:36 pm »
JW, one year out from FSR and I don't have any problems with this. In fact, my wife thinks that my hairline has been growing better since the radiation!

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2012, 04:29:32 am »
JW

I had a dime-size spot on my front hairline for a while (it "thinned" only) but the way I was wearing my hair at the time, it covered easy.  Many have reported it over time (if you do a "search" here from the home page of the forum, you will see many have also inquired about it).  No common.... but not unusual.

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2012, 11:42:29 am »
JW ~

I underwent 26 FSR sessions in 2006 (27 Gy total.)  I suffered no hair loss at all. 

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

mk

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2012, 08:40:52 pm »
I had experienced increased hair loss after GK. It is hard to tell if it was more than usual, because my hair always sheds, especially in the spring and fall (I have very thick hair and my GK was in spring). I was also very stressed out during that time, and whenever I get stressed I loose more hair, so I don't know if this was directly associated to treatment. My hairdresser also noticed during that time that my hair was dryer, and my scalp felt itchy.
I don't know if any of this was associated to the radiation, but there has been some anecdotal evidence around here from people who have reported some minor hair loss, so I guess it can happen.

Marianna
GK on April 23rd 2008 for 2.9 cm AN at Toronto Western Hospital. Subsequent MRIs showed darkening initially, then growth. Retrosigmoid surgery on April 26th, 2011 with Drs. Akagami and Westerberg at Vancouver General Hospital. Graduallly lost hearing after GK and now SSD but no other issues.

mattsmum

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2012, 03:20:55 pm »
i had a tiny patch behind my ear on the tumour side (about a cm). grew back in a couple of months.
i have since developed a patch of alopecia areata in my hairline - but the opposite side at the front so no relation to the treatment.
LINAC radiosurgery july 2011 for 1.5cm tumour (uk)

chloes mema

• Life is a special occasion.
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2012, 03:33:14 pm »
I completed CK a couple of weeks ago, since then I've noticed a LOT more hairs in the sink in the morning when I blow dry my hair now.  I'm assuming the two are related. 

Karen
Diagnosed October 2011
Oct '11-9 X 6 mm left ear
Mar '12 - 1.25cm
Tinnitus, imbalance, and mild dizziness (ditsy)
My AN = Annoying Nuisance
Jan'12 W&W
May'12 CK completed
Oct'12 hemifacial spasms
Dec'19 It's back

New girl

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2012, 03:45:09 pm »
Hi Karen - I am a surgical patient who lost a LOT of hair due to stress.  I lost a lot overall but also had some bald spots.  It is growing back now.  It could be stress or maybe your treatment.  Congrats on completing your treatment!
9mmx14mmx9mm
Diagnosed 6/1/2011
Retrosigmoid Surgery 9/27/2011
Daniel Lee (MEEI) & Fred Barker (MGH) - Exceptional Surgeons

windy

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2012, 08:20:35 pm »
I did not have FSR, but did have GK. I did experience hair loss post GK. I had very thick hair previously, so it was easy for me to notice. My problems started surfacing a few weeks post treatment with an inflamed, itchy, scalp. I developed psoriasis on my scalp. I went on and off different types of steroidal shampoos for a couple of years. I now no longer need them. My hairdresser said my hair changed in both texture and thickness. She would not allow me to color it until a year after my treatment. Even then, the color could not be directly up against my scalp. It definitely did not grow back to the fullness it once was, but then again I am now middle aged, so I think it was a combination of both. I would think my case was not the norm though. Hopefully, you will have a very positive outcome with your hair! I think most people have positive experiences.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2012, 10:28:07 pm by windy »
* Diagnosed w/AN (9mm x 11mm x 9mm) - 6-10-08
* GK @ UPMC w/Dr. Lunsford - 8-5-08
* Stable MRI - Aug. 2009
* 2 MM's Growth - Aug. 2010
* Lost 60% Hearing - Dec. 2010
* More Growth?? - Wait & Watch - Jan. 2012
* 1 MM Shrinkage - Aug. 2012
* 2 MM's Shrinkage - Aug. 2013
* Slight Shrinkage - Aug. 2014

Bonnie B.

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2012, 03:27:43 pm »
I guess everyone is different.  I had GK and experienced no loss of hair.  In fact, I had my hair highlighted about four weeks after the GK and everything looks good.

It has been two months since my GK treatment and so far, so good.  I hope that continues to be the case.
1.7 cm AN
diagnosed January, 2012 - no hearing L ear
GK surgery done March 15, 2012 at Yale New Haven Hospital, New Haven, Ct.
Dr. Chiang and Dr. Yu

Trish G

« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2012, 10:47:28 pm »
JW,

It has been one month since my FSR treatments finished. I had 26 treatments.
 I have not had any hair loss either.  I hate to even say it (afraid I will jinx myself). 

Trish

chloes mema

• Life is a special occasion.
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2012, 03:42:22 pm »
Newgirl

I hadn't thought of that but in my case maybe it is stress.  My husband said it's too soon for the CK to have that affect although I noticed that my natural hair color is now duller and hair looks limp.  Even my hair dresser commented on that.

Karen
Diagnosed October 2011
Oct '11-9 X 6 mm left ear
Mar '12 - 1.25cm
Tinnitus, imbalance, and mild dizziness (ditsy)
My AN = Annoying Nuisance
Jan'12 W&W
May'12 CK completed
Oct'12 hemifacial spasms
Dec'19 It's back