Author Topic: AN and wanting to start a family  (Read 3027 times)

BlueSky

AN and wanting to start a family
« on: May 20, 2012, 10:38:42 am »
Hello,
I haven't found much information on this topic I think because most people find them a little later but I am in my early thirties and wanted to start a family next year. I found my AN accidentally and it is at 6mm.

I have read that pregnancy can increase the rate of growth. I was also interested in getting pregnant after GK and the affects it may have but have not found anything on the subject.  ???

This thing as popped up at a very inconvenient time of my life and if anyone has any information that I can use to guide my treatment options in regards to this subject I would greatly appreciate it.   

sunfish

Re: AN and wanting to start a family
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2012, 08:13:32 am »
Hello, and sorry to have met you in this manner!  But welcome to our forum.  Read, read, read the articles available on this site, etc.  Be as informed as you can be.

With regard to the "how will pregnancy affect the tumor/how will treatment affect pregnancy," I would be sure to consult with doctors who are especially knowledgeable about ANs, GK, etc. in your case.  My doctors knew how to kill off a tumor with CK, but I'm not so sure how much experience they had with ANs.

I sure wouldn't want to let a small tumor cause major changes in my family planning, on the other hand, I think these are very reasonable questions you're asking.  Also, you never quite know how well you'll recover from treatment, and what impact that might have on child raising (not trying to be too negative here - just wouldn't want to have a newborn baby to care for at the same time I was having/recovering from GK!).  My recovery from the AN and CK has been quite rocky, and my life has changed considerably more over the past two years than I had bargained for.  But I'm much older than you!  I have a young friend who had GK for an AN, and he was back at work in a day or so, none the worse for the wear.
Rt. side 14mm x 11mm near brain stem
Severe higher frequency hearing loss
I use a hearing aid (Dot 20 by Resound)
Balance issues improving!!!!
Cyberknife March17, 2010
Roper Hospital Cancer Center, Charleston, SC

pjb

• Sad to say now a W & W
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2012, 05:54:06 pm »
Hello, and sorry to have met you in this manner!  But welcome to our forum.  Read, read, read the articles available on this site, etc.  Be as informed as you can be.

With regard to the "how will pregnancy affect the tumor/how will treatment affect pregnancy," I would be sure to consult with doctors who are especially knowledgeable about ANs, GK, etc. in your case.  My doctors knew how to kill off a tumor with CK, but I'm not so sure how much experience they had with ANs.

I sure wouldn't want to let a small tumor cause major changes in my family planning, on the other hand, I think these are very reasonable questions you're asking.  Also, you never quite know how well you'll recover from treatment, and what impact that might have on child raising (not trying to be too negative here - just wouldn't want to have a newborn baby to care for at the same time I was having/recovering from GK!).  My recovery from the AN and CK has been quite rocky, and my life has changed considerably more over the past two years than I had bargained for.  But I'm much older than you!  I have a young friend who had GK for an AN, and he was back at work in a day or so, none the worse for the wear.

I agree it is one thing always being positive but there are times good and bad should be shared as well hoping to be helping somebody either way and there is always two sides.

Best Wishes,
Diagnosed with a 1 cm. AN had Retrosigmoid
Approach surgery July of 2009, several problems after surgery.

nftwoed

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2012, 08:37:18 pm »
Hi Blue Sky;

Just my feeling, but your AN is small and even if estrogen in some speeds tumor growth, there's a fair chance, given your age, it will grow some anyhow even if not pregnant or not treated. A 1.5 cm AN is not managed differently than a 7 mm. AN. Nor are Tx outcomes substantially different.
  I've never read a story where focused beam radiation affected an expectant Mother in any way other than the, in some, minor fatigue.
  Makes for good discussion with your Dr.

arkansasfarmgirl

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2012, 12:55:31 pm »
Hugs to you.  I don't have any advice, but I went through 2 pregnancies with an AN.  My doctor and I both believe that pregnancy/post-partum hormones did cause it to grow faster.  My symptoms showed up during my first pregnancy, worsened immediately after birth, then stabilized.  Symptoms worsened during the 2nd pregnancy (kids are 3.5 years apart) and became intolerable immediately after her birth.  I had surgery when my daughter was 3 months old...that kinda sucked.  My tumor was gigantic by then--it was 4.5 cm at diagnosis and quite a bit larger 8 weeks later when I finally had surgery.

Talk to a knowledgeable dr about your options.  It would have been easier to go through the treatment and recovery if I hadn't had very young chidren to care for.  On the other hand, they motivated me during my recovery.  I would have been wallowing in self pity if I hadn't had them to give me something else to focus on and a reason to get on with life.