Author Topic: 12 weeks post surgery  (Read 2584 times)

Rob85616

12 weeks post surgery
« on: June 07, 2012, 08:49:34 pm »
Hi All - I had my surgery on March 21 and just found this site today while I was looking for various post-op symtoms.  First of all, it was great to find this forum as it has educated my immensly and it is good to hear the others out there share there stories.  I am thankful that you all keep coming back to this as I honestly just want to forget this but I know it will be ongoing with future MRI's but hopefully no re-growth (not 100% of tumor was taken unfortunately)

I had a golf ball sized AN on the right side and was told I needed surgery right away because of size and location so I didn't have time to research.  Now I'm starting to think I could have waited but when you are told spinal fluid flow is close to being cut off you don't question things!  (at least I didn't)  Anyway, from the other posts I see here, I feel like I am doing fairly well. No balance issuse anymore and no facial paralysis at all.  I have some hearing loss but I don't believe it is 100%.  I don't talk on the phone on the right side, but in "testing" my ear I can hear very slightly if I have the volume way up.  I go to the audiologist next week for a test.  I am mostly worried about various issues (incision/scar area is more sore, tender and itchy the last few days, hearing issue - ringing in the ear has seemed to have gotten more extreme lately and I feel what I would describe as fullness/stuffiness in my head that is more intense).  I wonder if this is "normal" --  I have started strength training again with weights this week.  Would more aggressive activity stir things up?  I think I just get more nervous and worried as my 3 month MRI gets closer!  Mostly I just need to vent.  Thanks!
4CM AN Right Side. Retrosig Surgery March 2012. SSD

mindyandy

• Loving Life
Re: 12 weeks post surgery
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2012, 04:41:33 am »
Rob85616
First off welcome  ;D
I am 3 months post op and my incision is itchy from time to time. I think this is totally normal healing. Where did you have your surgery? I completely understand being nervous when an MRI approaches....we all do. We are here to talk to and love to help when we can. As you know we are all here for the same reason....LOL

Mindy
14mm dx 9/07. CK done Seattle  1 year MRI showed some shrinkage. 4 year MRI 2mm growth nothing conclusive. Trigminal nerve involvment Retrosigmoid Friedmand/Schwartz HEI March 7,2012

Rob85616

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2012, 09:46:13 am »
Thanks Mindy!
I had my surgery at Abbott Northwestern in Mpls.  For not being able to choose, I really like my neurosurgeon.

Last night I woke to a loud buzzing noise in my ear.  It would come and go periodically as I laid there.  I wonder if that is my nerves doing something or is it just a part of the hearing loss?  I'll ask the audiologist next week I guess...
4CM AN Right Side. Retrosig Surgery March 2012. SSD

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2012, 09:34:26 pm »
Hi, Rob and welcome to the Forum!

The loud buzzing is probably tinnitus - some ANers have it, some don't; people who never had an AN also get it.

Tinnitus is really "all in your head" - it's something your brain does, it's actually unrelated to your ears.

At the present time there is no cure for tinnitus.  Most people just learn to live with it and block it out; some people have had success in minimizing it by changing their diet (for example, limiting caffeine). 

Itching incision/scar is fairly normal - nerves are healing from the surgery.  This usually goes away in time.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2012, 01:05:39 pm »
Welcome, Rob ~

Although I'm not a doctor, based on my experience and that of many other AN surgical patient's I've read about on these forums over the past six years, it appears as if your recovery is pretty typical.  The probable tinnitus that Jan addressed is common and, as she indicated, not confined to AN patients.  I just ignore mine (it's mild).  The itching/soreness around the incision is not unusual and if it concerns you, please have your doctor examine it.  He (or she) will tell you if it's healing normally or, if there is a problem, it can be addressed.  As for engaging in strenuous physical activity such as weight training, it would probably be prudent to check with your doctor, first.

Here's to no re-growths!  :)

Jim    
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.