Author Topic: Good News  (Read 2815 times)

FranDS

• 7mm; diag May 2, 2006
Good News
« on: August 08, 2006, 05:18:25 pm »
 Went to the neurosurgeon today for a consult and an examination in preparation for CK radiosurgery.  He  is the one who would work with the radioocologist to map the target.  Because of the size (7mm) of my AN, how I felt emotionally and physically, his physical and visual check, and the fact that I have some (little, but some) hearing in my AN ear, he indicated that we can "watch and wait," which is what I really wanted to hear.  He wants me to go for an MRI in about two months to see if there has been any increase in size and also get another hearing test from my ENT. This would be a 6-month check. If results are the same, then I will continue to watch and wait.  Otherwise, CK it will be .  We talked about other options like surgery, places to go (rated Barrow, House, and U of Miami (Marcos) quite high), but he agreed that CK was the best option for me if I had to choose to do something.  He was very good, interested, and appeared to be on top of this issue.

I was hoping for the watch and wait recommendation because, more than likely, I will lose hearing in the AN ear.  Because I am in administration at a University, a total hearing loss in that ear may affect some of my abilities -- I do have to listen a lot!  I know it's not the worst thing in the world and, if I HAD to do something right way, I wouldn't hesitate.  I would manage in some way.

I will report back and let everyone know.

Fran
7mm May 2, 2006
Waiting and Watching

FranDS

• 7mm; diag May 2, 2006
Re: Good News
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2006, 05:56:01 am »
Bruce, I'm thrilled!  He seemed very thorough and knowledgeable NS; he was referred by the radioncolpgist I had consulted for the CK procedure, and I think I lucked out with both gentlemen.  Are you waiting and watching?  How long?
Fran
7mm May 2, 2006
Waiting and Watching

Battyp

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2006, 10:56:53 am »
Marcos?  HA!
Hope you never ever ever have to do anything about it!
Which univesity are you working for?

M

FranDS

• 7mm; diag May 2, 2006
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2006, 08:23:04 pm »
Bruce, we must compare our six-moth results.  Both my husband and I work in education too.  He is direcotr of transfer admissions for the same University where I hold the position of campus director.  I've been in the field for 25+ years; my husband, 15 (several as a mid/high school teacher.

Batty, I really don't plan to go the surgery route if I can help it - CK is it for me.  I thought it was Dr. T you didn't care for down at UM.  I work at Fl Atlantic University on one of its branch campuses.
Fran
7mm May 2, 2006
Waiting and Watching