Author Topic: Carol Ann (iluuvpups) surgery is done!  (Read 4343 times)

Denise S

• from MICHIGAN ツ
    • Denise Sanford's Blog
Carol Ann (iluuvpups) surgery is done!
« on: May 27, 2010, 02:24:25 pm »
I got an e-mail from Carol Ann's (iluuvpups) friend that I will post below.     She had her Translab done here in Michigan today.   So glad to hear she made it through surgery well.     Very disappointed to hear they couldn't get all the tumor, but sure it is much better than to push it and damage the facial nerve.    I still believe she was in great hands and the doctors made the best choice for her situation (in which...wow, are we all very different).  

Please keep her in your prayers!   She gave me the permission to update you all & will let you know if I hear more!

Denise Sanford (MI)

Carol Ann's surgery is over and per the doctors went "great".  They removed all but a tiny bit of the tumor (the size of the tip of the pencil lead) because it was on the facial nerve.  That tiny bit will be removed with radiation in a few weeks.

When I spoke to her sister in law & cousin, Carol Ann was not awake but was recovering in ICU, where she will spend the night.

« Last Edit: May 27, 2010, 02:26:01 pm by Denise S »
W&W 2 yrs. (due to watching other brain tumor: it's stable)
Left AN:  1.2 cm (kept growing during 2 yr.)MIDDLE FOSSA  11/9/09;  Michigan Ear Institute Dr. Zappia & Pieper
SSD, mild tinnitus, delayed onset of facial paralysis lasting 3-4 weeks, no tears AN side
BAHA surgery 10/2/12 Dr Daniels G.R.,MI

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: Carol Ann (iluuvpups) surgery is done!
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2010, 02:56:35 pm »
Denise ~

Thanks for passing on the good news of Carol Ann's successful Translab surgery.  I'm sure the planned radiation will finish off the tiny bit of tumor that was left.  Congratulations Carol Ann!

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

moe

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2010, 07:28:30 pm »
Thanks for the update!

They removed all but a tiny bit of the tumor (the size of the tip of the pencil lead)
- Hopefully they'll get it zapped with the radiation.
Great news!
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

Lizard

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2010, 07:34:01 pm »
Great news and hopefully she is recovering well...can't wait to hear further updates about a great recovery and whenever she becomes a toastie postie too.
Thanks for the update,
Liz
Left AN 2.5CM,retrosigmoid 11/2008, second surgery to repair CSF leak. 
Headaches began immediately.  Dr. Ducic occipital nerve resection, December 2011!!!!!

"When you come to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on"
-Franklin D. Roosevelt

sues1953

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2010, 08:37:13 am »
Thanks Denise you know more than I did must have missed the e-mail  :)  I will be calling today.  Sue
3.2 cm AN Right side diagnosed 12/4/09
Translab surgery May 2010 with Dr. Jack Kartush and Daniel Pieper at Michigan Ear Institute.
Successful surgery .5mm left on facial nerve.  Full facial movement. SSD, Tinnitis, tongue and lip numbness.  No headaches.  Back to living life.

Linda1947

• Scheduling Surgery
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2012, 10:14:35 pm »
I need surgery for my almost 3 cm AN. I have interviewed with Dr. Pieper at Michigan Ear. You had Kartush, who has quite a bio! I also met with ENT Steve Telian at U of M. I am having trouble deciding between "the most experience" and the distinguished U of M. I will be 65 in October. Any info would be very much appreciated.

So happy you are doing well.
Linda
LindaR

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2012, 02:47:51 pm »
I met Dr. Telian at the ANA Symposium in Chicago a few years ago.

Very well-regarded, very well-respected doctor.

That's not to say that Drs. Kartush and Pieper aren't; just that I personally met Dr. Telian.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

It is what it is

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2012, 08:25:22 pm »
Carol Ann, how are you now?  Congratulations for being on the other side of surgery.

Karen

.7cm, left side AN , Tinnitus, Hearing preserved, Middle Fossa 8/1/12 at HEI, Drs Friedman and Schwartz, Sharing your story is extremely helpful to me.

jaylogs

• Administrator
  • It's NOT a too-mah! (Anymore!)
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2012, 09:31:49 pm »
Tell her congrats on being a postie! :)
Jay
8.1mm x 7.8mm x 8.2mm AN, Left Ear, Middle Fossa surgery performed on 12/9/09 at House by Drs. Brackmann/Schwartz. Some hearing left, but got BAHA 2/25/11 (Ponto Pro) To see how I did through my Middle Fossa surgery, click here: http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/jaylogston