Author Topic: Surgery day for my Dad  (Read 4454 times)

JennieD

Surgery day for my Dad
« on: May 31, 2012, 11:29:23 am »
Hi all,

I meant to post earlier, but today is the day of my Dad's surgery. We are all here waiting at the hospital. He was taken back at 7:30 this morning and we got a call around 11:30 saying that they had just started and that they were delayed (for four hours). Around 12:45 we got another call saying everything was going well but that it would be a while :/
All prayers/thoughts for my Dad and family are appreciated. This community has helped my family out immensely (even though I am the only current family member posting- I'm working on it! :)) trying not to let my worrying take over, but boy that clock is moving slowly.

lrobie

Re: Surgery day for my Dad
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2012, 12:28:08 pm »
Prayers being sent to your dad, the surgeons and your family.  Keep us posted.

Lisa
6/2009 7mm x 4mm  W&W
8/2011 9.5mm x 5mm
2/2012 UPMC Follow-up , slight growth
Surgery on 7/18/12 w/Drs. Friedman & Schwartz (mid-fossa)
www.caringbridge.org/visit/lisarobie

MDemisay

• Forever Thankful for Supportive ANA Friends!
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2012, 01:28:48 pm »
Dear Jennie,

Good thoughts are being sent your way as well as prayers for your father, his surgeons and most of all you! Keep in touch when you can!

Mike
1974 - Dr. Michelson  Colombia Presbyterian removal of 3 Arterio Venous Malformations
2004- Dr. Sisti  NY Presbyterian subtotal removal of 3.1 cm AN,
2012 - June 11th Dr. Sisti Gamma Knife (easy-breasily done)"DEAD IRV" play taps!
Research, research, research then decide and trust in God's Hands!

BeckyMax

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2012, 08:02:03 pm »
Praying that all is well.

Becky
7mm x 5 mm Left AN, diagnosed 2/9/12
7mm x 6 mm  8/12
9mm x 7 mm  8/13
Cyberknife 12/13

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2012, 06:04:03 am »
Jennie .....

You and your dad are still in my prayers today.  I certainly hope all went well yesterday.  Let us know when you have a minute.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

JennieD

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2012, 09:47:35 am »
Hi everyone!

Dad got out of surgery around 5pm yesterday. We saw him for a few seconds around 7:30 and then for a few minutes around 8:15-8:30. He was (expectedly) out of it. But the doctors say that it went well! They were able to preserve his facial nerve and that they would know more about the hearing later. When visiting him this morning in ICU he discovered that if he covered his "good" ear, that he could still hear with his AN side- through the massive bandage and all. This is great news! He is having a lot of hip pain from being in the same position for so long, and is generally uncomfortable, but that is to be expected as well. He is much more coherent today and was moved from ICU to a step-down room around 10am this morning. Thank you everyone for your continued support! Now comes recovery!

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2012, 02:07:37 pm »
Jennie ~

Thanks for that wonderful update on your dad's surgery results!  Prayers were definitely answered, again.  The fact that it appears as if his hearing has been preserved is fantastic! 

I was so pleased to learn that your dad is already out of the ICU and beginning his recovery, which, I hope, will be rapid and complete.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

pjb

• Sad to say now a W & W
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2012, 08:53:04 am »
Hi everyone!

Dad got out of surgery around 5pm yesterday. We saw him for a few seconds around 7:30 and then for a few minutes around 8:15-8:30. He was (expectedly) out of it. But the doctors say that it went well! They were able to preserve his facial nerve and that they would know more about the hearing later. When visiting him this morning in ICU he discovered that if he covered his "good" ear, that he could still hear with his AN side- through the massive bandage and all. This is great news! He is having a lot of hip pain from being in the same position for so long, and is generally uncomfortable, but that is to be expected as well. He is much more coherent today and was moved from ICU to a step-down room around 10am this morning. Thank you everyone for your continued support! Now comes recovery!

So happy to hear it sounds like he is doing well and continued prayers for a speedy recovery it is going to take time.

Best Wishes,
Diagnosed with a 1 cm. AN had Retrosigmoid
Approach surgery July of 2009, several problems after surgery.

It is what it is

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2012, 07:04:37 am »
How is your dad doing now?
.7cm, left side AN , Tinnitus, Hearing preserved, Middle Fossa 8/1/12 at HEI, Drs Friedman and Schwartz, Sharing your story is extremely helpful to me.