Author Topic: Strange side effects - AN related or not  (Read 2578 times)

lalala80

Strange side effects - AN related or not
« on: June 11, 2012, 08:59:53 am »
It has been two months since my CK treatment.  For the most part I feel okay and my side effects seem to be what other people have experienced but I have been having some strange ones and I don't want to go running to the doctor for every little thing if this is possibly just another expected side effect of CK.  I have had some strange headaches, I usually get headaches in my temple but these seem to be in the back of my head, no particular location, seems to change and it doesn't feel like a regular headache, feels kind of like I bumped the back of my head, but I haven't.  I also seem to be having chest pains, sort of like heartburn, but it is getting more frequent.  I would say it is stress, but since the CK treatment I have calmed down considerably.  Also, started to occasionally get ringing and pain in the non-AN ear, which really freaked me out and made me wonder if I am developing another one in that ear.  I don't know if I have NF2, but would think that they would appear at roughly the same time and not a different times.  I have been checking my BP and it has been normal.  I would think if it was affecting my heart, my BP would be affected, but not sure.  Just kind of freaked out, but don't want to turn into a complete hypochondriac and go running to the doctor for every little thing, also, don't want to get a chest x-ray and expose myself to even more radiation if unnecessary.

PaulW

Re: Strange side effects - AN related or not
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2012, 02:57:39 pm »
Chest pain probably isn't related to the AN.
The headache and tinnitus might be, but might not be too.
Any form of chest pain really needs to be investigated. Chest pain can be caused by a lot of things, Panic Attacks, stress, heartburn.
But many heart related problems are first reported as heartburn too.
I am not a doctor, but any chest pain needs to be investigated.
10x5x5mm AN
Sudden Partial hearing loss 5/28/10
Diagnosed 7/4/10
CK 7/27/10
2/21/11 Swelling 13x6x7mm
10/16/11 Hearing returned, balance improved. Feel totally back to normal most days
3/1/12 Sudden Hearing loss, steroids, hearing back.
9/16/13 Life is just like before my AN. ALL Good!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2012, 08:35:22 pm »
Ringing in the ear - aka as tinnitus - isn't necessarily a sign of an AN. 

If you were NF2, tumors could develop at different times.

Chest pain, should definitely be investigated.

Good luck,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Handma1d

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2012, 02:20:25 pm »
Greetings,
I am 3 weeks post-surgery. I too, notice "sounds" I can't quite explain but am attributing them to the healing/adjustment phase. They are becoming less frequent each day. Sometimes the tinnitus seems to be coming loudly from both sides, sometimes I can hardly hear it at all on either side. It gets louder for a few seconds when I stand up or stretch my hands over my head. I think it's all part of the healing process. From everything I've read, bilateral neuromas are exceedingly rare.
As for chest pain, yep, me too. Definitely check with your doctor. I'm pretty sure mine is heartburn, which is very common when working through vertigo. My chest pain seems to feel better after I use Tums and stick to a bland diet for now. Hang in there!
Peace,
Diane