Author Topic: Twenty Years Ago Today!  (Read 4532 times)

Jill Marie

Twenty Years Ago Today!
« on: June 16, 2012, 07:59:29 pm »
It's hard to believe that it's been 20 years since my Facial Neuroma Surgery.  I was 35 at the time so now you know my age!  Anyway, I was going to celebrate the day by doing things that I can despite the surgery rather than dwell on the things I can't do or do as well because of the surgery.  However, my new boss wanted me to work for someone else today.  I told him I had plans, he asked what they were.  I told him it was personal.  He said I could be brief or tell him the details.  I told him that I had surgery 20 years ago that changed my life in a major way and I was going to spend the day celebrating.  He asked if I could do that after I got done with work at 1:00 p.m. or could I do it the following Monday.  He doesn't know the details of my surgery but he does know about the hearing loss and can see for himself the facial issues.  He didn't understand and I wasn't going to try to explain it as I said before it's personal.  Therefore I worked today, was tired from working 48 hours this week so I took a two hour nap and then did some things around the house.  I am now starting my celebration by sharing my anniversary with all of you. 

I was going to start the day by having breakfast on the deck with my husband instead of watching him gulp down some coffee before my surgery as we did so long ago, we had a wake up call request but they forgot to call us so I was almost late for my surgery.  Then I was going to take a nice long bike ride with my husband.  I love riding because I couldn't do it for a while after my surgery but over time my balance got better and I regained my courage.  Riding gives me a sense of freedom and accomplishment all at the same time.  Then I was going to go on a nice long walk with my husband and our two dogs  and do some Geo-caching.  I'm ok with not doing what I wanted because I know I'm lucky to have had the same job for 17 years. 

Gotta go, it's now time to celebrate with my husband of 35 years as he helped me through the last 20 years.  Jill :) :) :)
Facial Nerve Neuroma removed 6/15/92 by Dr. Charles Mangham, Seattle Ear Clinic. Deaf/left ear, left eye doesn't water.

Cheryl R

Re: Twenty Years Ago Today!
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2012, 07:35:00 am »
Happy 20th Anniverary Jill!        I am happy for you that life has went on in spite of going thru having an AN and the facial issues one hopes to not have to deal with.     Your celebration sounds fun and a wonderful way to spend the day.   I wish you many more good years ahead!            Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2012, 01:47:52 pm »
Hi, Jill ~

Congratulations on your 20th surgery anniversary and kudos for managing to regain what seems to be a fairly active, productive life.  Thanks too for proving that the AN experience doesn't have to drastically degrade your quality of life, even if there are some post-op issues to deal with.  In short: well done!  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2012, 02:39:14 pm »
Congratulations, Jill Marie!

Twenty years is such a HUGE milestone!!!  ;D

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Jill Marie

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2012, 10:51:40 pm »
Thanks Cheryl, Jim & Jan

Yes Cheryl, the facial issues are there and sometimes tough to deal with even after 20 years.  On the bright side, a customer was chatting with me the other day and said he wouldn't leave without seeing me smile.  I finished doing his paperwork then he said, I mean it, I won't leave tell you give me a smile.  I had two options, one to attempt a half smile which would make him feel uncomfortable when he saw my face or tell him I can't smile.  I chose to tell him I'm really sorry but I'm physically unable to smile, he then said, but I can see the smile in your eyes.  I said yes it is and so glad you can see it. 

Jim, my posting was two fold, one to have all of you join me in my celebration and two to let those just starting out now that 20 years later they will be ok too.  Thanks for letting me know I achieved that.

Jan, I thought 20 years was a biggie too, that's why I came here as I knew you'd understand.

Thanks again, Jill Marie ;D :D :)
Facial Nerve Neuroma removed 6/15/92 by Dr. Charles Mangham, Seattle Ear Clinic. Deaf/left ear, left eye doesn't water.

Chances3

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2012, 11:22:53 am »
Hi Jill Marie,

Thank you for sharing.  I am 20 months post op, and there are many outdoor activities I want to do again.  One in particular is ride my bike again, but I'm afraid.  Your post has given me the courage, perhaps I'll give it a try in a few more months.  It appears that many people recover and stop using this site.  My wife thinks I shouldn't read all the posts because it will interfere in my recovery.  She doesn't get it, I find many of the posts very encouraging.  By the way, what is Geo-Caching ?

schmidtkat

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2012, 08:15:57 pm »
Jill,
You are an inspiration! Thanks for sharing. One doesn't always know the positive impacts from the simple responses to daily life...ie, your "smiling eyes".
Take care and God Bless ~ Kathy

Jill Marie

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2012, 10:05:39 pm »
Chances3

Everyone's balance issues are different, can't say for sure but from what I've read mine aren't as bad as others so if that's what's keeping you from riding be patient it can change.   I didn't drive after my surgery for 3 years.  Part ability to see well, depth perception and FEAR!  In the meantime I got tired of having to depend on people to take me places so when it was nice out I rode my bike.  It wasn't fun but it got me to where I wanted to go when I wanted to.  I had to get a job as my husband was on strike and we needed the income.  I got the first job I applied for, it required me to drive to the bank and post office as well as doing office work.  I started driving again, scared but it felt so great. 

As for the bike, the more I rode the more comfortable I felt, I believe the fear was a bigger factor than the balance issue.  I told myself I had a balance issue so I wobbled, told myself I could ride just fine so I did.  My favorite time was when I got the courage to ride down a hill I had ridden on several times and didn't put on the brakes!!  So far the longest ride I have been on is 40 miles in one day, I was beat, but it was well worth it just to say I did it. 

I understand your wives issue with this site, you can read lots of things that can possibly affect you negatively but there are also so many thing that can help you get through this easier and of course being able to chat with those that really know how you feel always helps.  Sometimes I take a break from here but am always glad when I come back.  I found this site a few years ago so for the first half of my 20 years I had no one to share with.

Geo-caching is something you can do now while you recover and you can do it when you get back to riding your bike.  There is a site called Geo-caching. com that you can go to and read more about it.  My husband and I found out about it while hiking with our dogs on vacation, found a cache by accident.  People hide/bury treasures and you find them using a GPS.  You go on the Internet and get the coordinates and other information about the cache and then go looking for it.  Sometimes they have what is called a Travel Bug in one and you take it and place it in another cache.  You track the bugs on the Geo-cache site to see where they have been.  We found one a couple of years ago that came from Sweden.  It's been around for 10 years and there are caches everywhere!  It's inexpensive to do and a great way to get some exercise.  Hope your recovery goes well, Jill

Thanks for the kind words Kathy, it's been a rough week for my eye so it helped to read your post, Jill

jaylogs

• Administrator
  • It's NOT a too-mah! (Anymore!)
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2012, 04:03:14 am »
Congrats Jill!!! It's amazing, up until a little over 2 years I never even knew what a "neuroma" was, let alone what it can do to you!!! A lot has changed for me in 20 years, so I can only imagine how it has been for you.  When my 20 years hits (hopefully I will still be around :) )  I hope medical advances will be so much better to help treat this and other illnesses.  Thank you for sharing!
Jay
8.1mm x 7.8mm x 8.2mm AN, Left Ear, Middle Fossa surgery performed on 12/9/09 at House by Drs. Brackmann/Schwartz. Some hearing left, but got BAHA 2/25/11 (Ponto Pro) To see how I did through my Middle Fossa surgery, click here: http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/jaylogston

MDemisay

• Forever Thankful for Supportive ANA Friends!
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2012, 02:40:11 pm »
Sergeant Pepper taught the band to play! Sorry, couldn't resist injecting humor! Congratulations Jill! What a milestone! Coincidentally, my wife will be celebrating 20 years breast cancer free this October!

Mike
1974 - Dr. Michelson  Colombia Presbyterian removal of 3 Arterio Venous Malformations
2004- Dr. Sisti  NY Presbyterian subtotal removal of 3.1 cm AN,
2012 - June 11th Dr. Sisti Gamma Knife (easy-breasily done)"DEAD IRV" play taps!
Research, research, research then decide and trust in God's Hands!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2012, 02:45:42 pm »
My wife thinks I shouldn't read all the posts because it will interfere in my recovery.  She doesn't get it, I find many of the posts very encouraging. 

It's hard for people who don't have/didn't have an AN to "get it". 

There's just something about connecting with people who've "been there, done that".

I know people who think that the Forum is full of scary stories - some have even been told by their docs to stay away from it for that reason - but as with lots of things in life, you just need to take what you find here with a grain of salt.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways