Author Topic: Translab. surgery: As good as it gets!  (Read 8009 times)

MMV

Translab. surgery: As good as it gets!
« on: August 05, 2006, 12:02:41 pm »
For those anticipating surgery, I'd like to share a very positive experience with the best possible outcome. I had translab. surgery for acoustic neuroma (approx. 2.1 cm) on June 8, 2006 at The House Ear Clinic in Los Angeles. The first 36 hours following surgery are a bit of a blur, of course. I do remember a little nausea and a small amount of pain. After 48 hours, I was out of bed and walking without assistance, my balance no worse than before surgery. I had no facial paralysis. My pre-surgery headaches were gone.The effects of severing the left auditory nerve were not as dramatic as I had anticipated. Apparently I had already lost most of the hearing in that ear and my brain had made adjustments gradually. After 72 hours, I was dressed in street clothes, sitting in a chair, reading a book. I was released that morning and flew home five days later. Two weeks after surgery, I was taking my big yellow lab for daily walks again, a little slower than usual, though. Six weeks after surgery, I was back in yoga classes. My balance has continued to improve and is better than before surgery. I have only a neat, thin scar worthy of a plastic surgeon to remind me of that experience. AN surgery can be that simple, not necessarily easy, but simple and straightforward. I'm 59 years old, so youth was not a factor! A big factor was that I had the utmost faith in the House Clinic team of Drs. Slattery, Schwartz and Stefan. The House Clinic (houseearclinic.com) is the largest center for AN in the world. There's nothing like experience!
« Last Edit: August 06, 2006, 08:43:48 am by MMV »

Obita

Re: Translab. surgery: As good as it gets!
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2006, 06:07:15 pm »
I also had very good luck with translab.  I walked through the tunnel to the parking ramp when I left the hospital and was home 72 hours after surgery started. 

The good stuff needs to be told so thanks for posting.  Congrats MMV, bet your doggie was glad to have you home.  Mine was mighty glad to see me.  Kathy
Kathy - Age 54
2.5 cm translab May '04
University of Minnesota - Minneapolis
Dr. Sam Levine - Dr. Stephen Haines

Desilu

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2006, 07:33:39 pm »
Dear MMV,

I too had a success story from HEC, middle fossa approach. Can't say enough good about the place! It was one of the best decisions I have made in my life! So happy that everything turned out so good for you. Ann
HEI July 26, 2005
5mm X 8mm Left AN
Middle Fossa
Dr. Brackmann & Dr. Hitselberger

cookiesecond

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2006, 08:34:26 pm »
Congratulations MMV on your successful outcome!!! Thanks for sharing, we NEED to hear the good stuff.
Take care,
Lynn

Rc Moser

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2006, 07:34:49 am »
For what I have read on Translab it is the most widely used (due to brain matter in not blocking the Tumor and  8th nerve can be located  easier) and safest (less than .2 precent deaths reported), and this is the approach they are taught in medical school for what I have read) approach for tumor's that have been pushing on stuff for along time. Also they have a better change in getting all the tumor which is really important so it won't grow back. Usually any tumor over 3CM's this approach is used due to hearing loss is usuallly permanment anyway in that ear. At least that is what the most Dr. tell you.
9/17/03, 4.5CM, Translab, OU Medical Center, Dr. (the ear man) Saunders and Dr. B. (the BrainMAN) Wilson  along with about 4 other Doctors that keep me going for 18 hours.

Sanddollar

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2006, 01:26:30 pm »
I just want to add another report of a successful translab procedure.  I hope it is encouraging to those who face an unexpected and frightening AN diagnosis.  The news is not all bad.  My procedure was in January of this year and I am back to doing everything that I did before surgery except for hearing in the AN ear, but I expected that.  I also had hearing/balance impairment before surgery, so I think that I had done a great deal to adjust before going under the knife.  I was on my feet in the hospital and dealt more with fatigue than anything else in my recovery period, and was back to work part-time 6 weeks after surgery, full-time at 8 weeks.  No facial issues to speak of, I move about with ease, and am focused on living my life again.  I am truly blessed.

Sanddollar
1cm x 2cm, Left side -Translab
Drs. Vrabec & Trask - Jan '06
Houston, TX
Excellent Results!!!

Boppie

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2006, 07:08:14 pm »
Sanddollar, I'll weigh in on the success I had from Translab surgery.  I waited 10 weeks for my operation after diagnosis, too!  Although I comment from time to time on weird tastes, this is not a big issue for me.  My smile and my health are completely back together.

wanderer

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2006, 12:38:18 pm »
I also had translab,  albeit not at house,  although I had some complications that really just turned out to take a long time to resolve,  At 1.5 years.  I'm doing great.   I work out everyday for 2 hours or more,   I am back to work finally (I had been out due to my complications for over a year.)   And I even went to my first concert on monday and had no difficulties.

the whole Time though I felt pretty good.   the surgeries went great,  it was the pesky staph infection that caused my troubles.

Gennysmom

• Genny says "La!"
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2006, 02:01:45 pm »
I had translab about 6 weeks ago, and although I had problems, I'm still doing quite well.  Don't know if I can thank translab for that.  I have had no headaches except for when I had the CSF leak, my wound is healing really nice and hidden just behind my ear with almost no hair shaved.  I had my face slide down, but mostly as I got off steroids...and it's already starting to come back.  I had severe balance issues right out of surgery, but it's coming back very quickly....never used a walker and only used a cane for about 4-5 days.  I walk slower and more carefully now, and my only real problem is walking in crowds.  I do want to clarify though, for new people to the site, that translab involves removing your inner ear parts, so you will lose the hearing that ear...for those with hearing please consider all your options.  I only had 16% usable hearing in my ear, and I've hardly noticed the loss, but I know it's been very hard on those with full hearing to adjust. 
3.1cm x 2.0cm x 2.1cm rt AN Translab 7/5/06
CSF leak 7/17/06 fixed by 8 day lumbar drain
Dr. Backous, Virgina Mason Seattle
12/26/07 started wearing TransEar

Road Trip Dale

• Dale - 6 days after surgery!
    • Frappr/dale
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2006, 01:32:47 pm »
4 months out from Translab and I'm doing great...I concur that for many of us the body had already made adjustments before surgery.  I seldom miss the hearing (I suppose I was hearing poorly all along), and balance hasn't really been a problem.  I couldn't be happier with my decision for Translab over some of the other options.  Life continues at a frenetic pace...I love it!
1.75 AN Right Side
Translab 4/16/06
Dr. Charles Leutje and Dr. Paul Camarata
St Luke's, Kansas City, MO