Author Topic: im officially a postie!  (Read 5065 times)

madison

im officially a postie!
« on: June 27, 2012, 03:24:39 pm »
well, my surgery was on monday the 18th. i came home friday. my surgery was 8 hrs. long..translab
excuse my typing as i am still wearing an eye patch. i have some facial weakness that should come back in time and i feel alot stronger.
i wish the right side of my tongue were not numb-it makes for very sloppy eating!i am hopeful that ev erything will return to normal-it's just a matter of how long it will take. if anyone knows of eye weakness,or post-op facial weakness, i'd love to hear your stories.i can only log on every once in a while, so please bear with me.i will be checking in though.  now i,m gonna go lay down, as everything is sooo exhausting!
Pennsylvania:female: 40 yrs. old
R ACOUSTIC NEUROMA;GAMMA KNIFE FEB. 2008
multiple meningiomas
scheduled for translab @ Thomas Jefferson in Phila. Pa. on 6/18/2012

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: im officially a postie!
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2012, 03:33:52 pm »
Hi, Madison ~

Welcome back and congratulations on entering 'postie-land'.  :)  Thanks for making the effort to post.  Its appreciated.

Your facial weakness and tongue numbness issues should be temporary and the fatigue will abate, eventually.  Meanwhile, take it easy and try to envision being normal, again.  I did - and it helped (with some effort on my part, of course).  Remember, AN surgery recovery is usually measured in months, not days.  Time will pass quickly and soon you'll hardly recall these first few days, post-discharge.

Don't be concerned about posting.  We understand your limitations right now and we'll still be here when it's easier for you. 

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

kixit

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2012, 07:34:14 pm »
So nice to have you back! Don't worry about posting. We've all been there, experienced that. Concentrate on your recovery.

I had translab back in May but no facial issues. I'm still having balance issues but my docotr told me just today it will get better in the weeks to come (I think I've heard that before from the good folks on here).

Take care and REST!
left side AN 9mm diagnosed 2/2012
SSD, loud tinnitis left ear
Translab 5/24/12
Baha surgery 8/1/2012 at UVA
Baha hook up 11/09/2012  : ) 

I am a happy camper : )

LizAN

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2012, 10:03:51 pm »
Yea!  Nice to hear from you, Madison.  Take it easy and don't worry about posting until you feel up to it again.  We can all rest easier knowing you came through okay and are on the mend.

Liz
8/20/2010 - 9mm AN on left side 
Fullness, tinnitus, mild hearing loss
2/20/2011 - 8mm
4/20/2012 - 12.4 mm
Moderate to severe hearing loss, LOUD tinnitus, deteriorating balance
Facial numbness and twitching, which subsided pre-surgery
Translab at House, 7/3/2012, Slattery and Schwartz

mindyandy

• Loving Life
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2012, 05:06:59 am »
Great to hear your home Madison. Sounds like you are doing great. Take it easy and recover. Somedays are easier than others but each day is one step closer to healing. Keep us posted.

Mindy
14mm dx 9/07. CK done Seattle  1 year MRI showed some shrinkage. 4 year MRI 2mm growth nothing conclusive. Trigminal nerve involvment Retrosigmoid Friedmand/Schwartz HEI March 7,2012

It is what it is

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2012, 06:51:16 am »
Congratulations for being on the other side of surgery. I'll look forward to reading about your recovery.  It must be frustrating and scary to begin with but it sounds like from our wonderfully helpful veterans, that healing continues to unfold over time.  I hope you are able to rest now. 

Karen
.7cm, left side AN , Tinnitus, Hearing preserved, Middle Fossa 8/1/12 at HEI, Drs Friedman and Schwartz, Sharing your story is extremely helpful to me.

Manders

• Look closely. God's fingerprints are everywhere.
    • Awkward Turtles
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2012, 09:12:08 am »
Hi Madison!

Congrats! You made it!! Isn't it wonderful to be on the other side?

As you probably know from my blog, I did have some issues with facial weakness after my translab. The right side of my tongue was numb and I could not taste on that side for about four weeks. Since my lips were also affected by my facial weakness, I was quite a sloppy eater for awhile. Lol But it will pass! Just be patient and try not to get frustrated with yourself. I would make jokes about it so that I wouldn't get too upset.

I'm in my seventh week now and my facial weakness is almost completely resolved. I'm just waiting on my right eye to jump on board. It still doesn't tear or lubricate normally, blinks slower than my left eye, and is still slightly wider than my left eye too. There's no set timeline on when everything will return to normal so it really is just a waiting game. I would suggest celebrating every little milestone you pass, no matter how small, to keep yourself positive and encouraged that you are recovering.

Thinking of and praying for you!

Manders
Diagnosed February 2012 * 1.3cm tumor * Experienced sudden & total hearing loss in 2007 in right ear * Translab scheduled for May 11, 2012*Follow my blog at: www.awkwardturtlesan.blogspot.com

lrobie

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2012, 09:28:41 am »
Hi Madison,

It's good to hear your surgery went well.  Best wishes on your road to recovery.

Lisa
6/2009 7mm x 4mm  W&W
8/2011 9.5mm x 5mm
2/2012 UPMC Follow-up , slight growth
Surgery on 7/18/12 w/Drs. Friedman & Schwartz (mid-fossa)
www.caringbridge.org/visit/lisarobie

Chances3

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2012, 11:32:51 am »
Hi Madison,

The hard part is over, now it's all about healing.  I had a middle fossa approach, I had some facial weakness and my tongue was definitely numb.  My surgeons put me on steroids for 5 days, that helped.  As for the tongue, that took a few weeks.  It seems nothing out of the ordinary for you, just be patient.  My only advice - listen to your body, it's going to want to rest, so don't feel guilty about taking a nap, and if you can't get past 8:30-9:00 o'clock at night, tell your love ones, or your friends that are over - good nite !!

mk

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2012, 07:56:13 pm »
Hi Madison,

Glad to hear that everything went well. Things will certainly get better from now on. Many of us have had the taste problem. I remember that after my surgery all liquids, even water, tasted strange. Coffee tasted like ash. It took a couple of months for the taste to be restored.
Eye problems are also very common. Make sure to protect your eye well (it seems that you are since you are using a patch), and use lots of drops/ointment. This should improve too.  The dryness may not resolve completely (my eye still does not tear properly, but at least it is not as dry as before.
Overall take it easy, give your body lots of time to heal.
Did the doctors say if your AN was more difficult to remove because it had been radiated before?

Marianna
GK on April 23rd 2008 for 2.9 cm AN at Toronto Western Hospital. Subsequent MRIs showed darkening initially, then growth. Retrosigmoid surgery on April 26th, 2011 with Drs. Akagami and Westerberg at Vancouver General Hospital. Graduallly lost hearing after GK and now SSD but no other issues.

madison

« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2012, 04:11:49 pm »
Hi everyone....I'm getting stronger each day..I thiNk I really. Surprised physical Therapy.I will be going to op therapy next week.  I scratched my eye..I guess because that side of my face is numb.I am using antibiotic drops and a patch still.  Other than that i feel good. I just have to be patient and hope that the numbness on the an side gets better.  The docs said it wasn't harder to remove my an due to having gk..just hard initially to find the tumor.
I'm so thankful for your prayers and knowing l can read your stories And that I have people who can relate to me.
My sister in law lent me her iPad so itts much easier to go on the forum now.  I just need to get that eye better and I'll be on here alot more.looking forward to all of your posts!
Pennsylvania:female: 40 yrs. old
R ACOUSTIC NEUROMA;GAMMA KNIFE FEB. 2008
multiple meningiomas
scheduled for translab @ Thomas Jefferson in Phila. Pa. on 6/18/2012

It is what it is

« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2012, 04:16:35 pm »
It's wonderful to hear you are doing so well in therapy.  Prayers continue for continued healing. 

Karen
.7cm, left side AN , Tinnitus, Hearing preserved, Middle Fossa 8/1/12 at HEI, Drs Friedman and Schwartz, Sharing your story is extremely helpful to me.

millie

« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2012, 06:27:43 pm »
Madison-I prayed for all of us AN people today at church.  My husband also  had  serious surgery May 3 and I was told he would get stronger everyday, but it would take time, and each body heals at its own pace.  They were right. Time!  Carry on, brave girl!  Millie

jaylogs

• Administrator
  • It's NOT a too-mah! (Anymore!)
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2012, 09:39:32 pm »
Hi Madison!! Hey, you are doing absolutely fantastic here, so just keep on truckin! :)  Just keep up the good work, and keep us updated on how things are going! Take care!
Jay
8.1mm x 7.8mm x 8.2mm AN, Left Ear, Middle Fossa surgery performed on 12/9/09 at House by Drs. Brackmann/Schwartz. Some hearing left, but got BAHA 2/25/11 (Ponto Pro) To see how I did through my Middle Fossa surgery, click here: http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/jaylogston