Author Topic: New Member  (Read 2810 times)

Pryscodisco

« on: June 09, 2012, 08:01:43 am »
I'm 21 and having translab surgery this Monday I remove my 3.5cm tumor. It's always encouraging to hear from other young people with AN!! I sometimes get discouraged reading the bad recovery stories, but I have to remember that that's not the norm and I have the advantage of being young and healthy. So thanks for sharing!! :)
3.5cm right sided acoustic neuroma

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: New Member
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2012, 01:10:24 pm »
Welcome! 

Translab surgery is generally quite successful and, as you noted, your youth and good health are a big advantage for you.

Please share your information with us, if you choose.  Where are you having the surgery and where are you located? 

Good luck on Monday!  Please try to update us when you're able, following your surgery.  Thanks!

Jim
« Last Edit: June 28, 2012, 12:23:54 pm by Jim Scott »
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Lou

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2012, 01:43:23 pm »
We will all be thinking of you and wishing you a speedy uneventful recovery. Keep us updated when you can
Lou x
''The more difficulties one has to encounter, within and without, the more significant and the higher in inspiration his life will be''

Bilateral facial nerve neuromas
8mm left side and 7mm right side. diagnosed late 2011.Watch and Wait Staus -  Currently at
the mercy of the English NHS system

LizAN

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2012, 04:30:09 pm »
Good luck with your surgery, and give us an update when you are able.  Where are you having your surgery?

I'm having translab on the 3rd. 
8/20/2010 - 9mm AN on left side 
Fullness, tinnitus, mild hearing loss
2/20/2011 - 8mm
4/20/2012 - 12.4 mm
Moderate to severe hearing loss, LOUD tinnitus, deteriorating balance
Facial numbness and twitching, which subsided pre-surgery
Translab at House, 7/3/2012, Slattery and Schwartz

kixit

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2012, 09:35:55 am »
Your AN is certainly much larger than mine was (9mm) but it caused damage just the same--SSD left side, tinnitis (even after surgery). I had translab on May 24th, faired very well--had immediate spinning/nausua in recovery/ICU. That lasted 24 long hours but other than the balance thing I'm doing well. I actually start back to work light duty on Mon the 11th for 4 hrs a day to see if I can handle it, I hate just sitting around.

The pain from the surgery has been nothing. I suppose that's due to pre-surgical, surgical and post-surgical pain management. On a scale from 1 to 10 it was prob a 5, a 6 at most and that was because my neck was killing me after surgery. The surgeon said it was because my head was in precarious position for many hours. Ice and hot packs helped tremendously.

The balance thing does drain me and overworks my mind (I think). I take naps when I need to. Like this weekend I've slept a lot, perhaps because I had a busy week.

This site had given me a lot of information as well as the members support and I say that gave me a mindset for when I had my surgery. I was never afraid of what could happen. I had faith in my God and surgeon. Possible complications never entered my mind.

I'm sure you will do fine. I wish you well and we all will be thinking about you on your day  ;)
left side AN 9mm diagnosed 2/2012
SSD, loud tinnitis left ear
Translab 5/24/12
Baha surgery 8/1/2012 at UVA
Baha hook up 11/09/2012  : ) 

I am a happy camper : )

It is what it is

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2012, 06:58:43 am »
How are you doing and what was your experience like?  I'm sorry you are experiencing this at such a young age.  My thoughts are with you.  Do you have support at home?  Sending you healing thoughts. 

Karen
.7cm, left side AN , Tinnitus, Hearing preserved, Middle Fossa 8/1/12 at HEI, Drs Friedman and Schwartz, Sharing your story is extremely helpful to me.

Manders

• Look closely. God's fingerprints are everywhere.
    • Awkward Turtles
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2012, 09:17:27 am »
Hi Pryscodisco and welcome to the forum! I know this isn't a place anyone wants to be, but you'll find a lot of wonderful people here who will help you through this tough time.

I'm a young one, too. I'm 24 and had my translab surgery on May 11th to remove a 1.3cm AN. I've been keeping a blog about the whole experience and I've been told by other AN-ers that it's been really helpful to them. The address is in my signature but I'll post it here as well: www.awkwardturtlesan.blogspot.com.

The time leading up to surgery can be really frightening and stressful but know that we're all here rooting for you. You'll be in my thoughts and prayers and I can't wait for you to be a postie!

Manders
Diagnosed February 2012 * 1.3cm tumor * Experienced sudden & total hearing loss in 2007 in right ear * Translab scheduled for May 11, 2012*Follow my blog at: www.awkwardturtlesan.blogspot.com