Author Topic: Talking in your sleep  (Read 5596 times)

TaylorsMom

Talking in your sleep
« on: May 13, 2006, 01:35:31 pm »
Hi everyone.  Just wondering if anyone was known to talk in their sleep before surgury.  My 18 year old daughter had a 4.8 AN removed in Feb.(Taylor).  We had noticed in the last year or so she was not only talking in her sleep more than she ever had, but she was practically screaming.  She would be asleep on the other side of the house and talking so loud I would swear she was yelling at someone on the phone.  We had also noticed balance problems but kept thinking, "Has she been drinking? What has she been taking?"  You never want to think the worst you know.

tony

Re: Talking in your sleep
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2006, 01:15:54 am »
At that kind of size early stage Hydrocephalus is possible, or even brainstem compression
 - either of which can cause headaches
while the pressure on the hearing nerve from the AN can cause some very strange sound sensations in the head - I awoke with a "Car Alarm" sound only to check the street, and find nothing happening  - the sound was quite literally in my head only
Any of these situations might cause disturbed sleep - and it is the light sleep pattern where
dreams tend to occur - and she may have had pain as well.
With the A.N. gone these things should now fade away
Best Regards
Tony

TaylorsMom

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2006, 08:47:03 am »
Yes, her neurosurgeon said there was pressure buildup and compression of the brain stem.  She woke up (I should say,. I woke her up. It usually took several tries to get her up) on the morning of her 1st MRI, with a bad headache.  She didn't seem to have headaches any more than the average person.  I got her 2 ibuprofen and encouraged her to get up and go to school as the headache would probably be gone by the time she got there.  When she got up and turned off the light abd got back in bed I knew she must have felt pretty bad.  She hadn't missed a day of school for a month at that point.  Amazing to me she could funtion at all.  When I called her in sick to school the person on the phone acted like she didn't believe me.  I'm sure that person was on a real guilt trip when I called her in the next day "brain tumor".  Not to slam her school,  they have been wonderfull since her surgury.  She is going to graduate a week from today.  I wiill need a whole box of kleenex for the ceremony.  The day of the MRI she got up about noon with no headache and felt fine.  As for the talking in her sleep, that is no more.  She sleeps like a rock.

Chris

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2006, 03:20:45 am »
Hi, I was starting to think I was going a bit crazy. I had radiation late last year rather than have surgery. Since then I talk, yell & scream in my sleep. Not to mention the occasional thrashing my arms and legs around. Can anyone give me an update on what is causing this. There is very little information available in Australia.
Thanks
Chris
2.5cm AN diagnosed late 2005 and treated with fractionated stereotactic radiation in Sydney Australia Oct 2005

Battyp

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2006, 08:00:21 am »
I dont' recall talking before my surgery but I sure do now since surgery...I've woken myself up a few times talking. 

Happy Graduation day for Taylor! 

TaylorsMom

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2006, 09:51:26 am »
Hi Chris and welcome,

How big was your tumor?  Has it shrunk since radiation was done?  I tend to believe the screaming and thrashing for Taylor while sleeping was due to brain stem compression and pressure build-up because after surgery she stopped doing it.

You should ask your doctor and get an MRI if the last one was more than 2-3 months ago.

Glad you found this forum.  This is a great group of people who understand and have lots of information to share.

Best of luck to you,

Kathy

Chris

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2006, 02:51:37 am »
Hi Kathy, my AN was 2.5cm when diagnosed late last year. After radiation it swelled 6mm. I have another scan this month. I will speak to my doctor then about talking in my sleep. I hoping it is something that will eventually go away as it is annoying me and driving my fiance crazy.
Regards
Chris
2.5cm AN diagnosed late 2005 and treated with fractionated stereotactic radiation in Sydney Australia Oct 2005

Battyp

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2006, 10:55:20 am »
Watch out chris...no telling what you might say while asleep!  LOL
When my sister and I shared a room she would talk...I'd pump her for info :o)  Learned all kinds of juicy tidbits  ;D

Chris

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2006, 02:32:32 am »
Lol. Paul has tried having conversations with me when I am sleep talking but he said I talk gibberish. It was pretty funny when I started dancing in my sleep recently (while lying down). He didn't really see the funny side at the time though because I was waving my arms around. Now I am more concerned about sleeping away from home though because I might embarass myself.

Battyp

« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2006, 07:34:47 pm »
My son came to wake me up to drive him to school yesterday and he said I was baring my teeth and growling  LOL  He thought I was playing with him but realized I was sound asleep.  I'm going to start filming me so I can win 10k on america's funniest videos  LOL

Chris

« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2006, 10:44:01 pm »
Wow. I didn't think of that. You could enter America's funniest home videos and I could enter the Australian version. Most of the videos on there are crap anyway. I am sure I could do much better. Hmmm maybe I could make money out of this after all lol

Survival Nate

• TravAddic
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2006, 07:13:00 pm »
I have always been a talker and a mover but after my surgrey I cant remember my dreams like i did before, my wife still complains about me talking and sccreaming and jumping and much of anything else but I can never remember them I even let a note pad next to the bed but always nothing
at age 21yo
AN 5.05cm removed Feb 2005
Gamma Knifed July 2005
at age 31yo
AN regrowth @ 1.5cm - 2014
Pituitary Gland tumor 2mm
https://www.travaddic.com/

chelsmom

« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2006, 02:03:18 am »
Hi,
Well I don't know if talking in your sleep has anything to do with the AN but Chelsea has always been a sleep talker.  I never really know when she is awake or asleep.  Most of the time when I wake her up in the morning she will sit up in bed, answer logically and sometimes even argue a point.  She'll lay back down and when I wake her up again she has no recollection of having any discussion with me.  This has gone on for years.  At times she would ask if I would bring her breakfast and tell me what she wanted and when she got it she'd give me a look like I was crazy and ask "what's this" and would laugh when I said it's what you ordered.  My thinking that hers is not AN related is because my son, 20 years old, does the same thing.  After reading all your posts, I wonder if Chelsea's sleep talking will increase.  Fortunatly, we all find these sleep conversations pretty amusing. 
Michelle