Author Topic: Is this what hearing loss "feels" like or something else?  (Read 3789 times)

Rob85616

Is this what hearing loss "feels" like or something else?
« on: June 21, 2012, 12:52:49 pm »
Hi - I am just wondering if what I am feeling in my head is part of what you feel with hearing loss or something else from my surgery 3 months ago.  I have lost hearing in my right ear from my AN Retrosigmoid Surgery.  Besides the ringing in my ear , I also have what I would describe as one/all of the following:  "fullness, clogged ear, feels like I am continually on cold medicine, like my head will explode, spacey, etc" feeling in my head.  Most of this feels like it is on the right side, but there are times it feels like my left side (good ear) is full too.  Like I need to pop my ears but they won't.  Is this from hearing loss or is this something else?  I have read on this forum a little bit about "wonky head".  Could this be what that is instead?  Of course the doom and gloom side of me worrys that this is my tumor growing back.....  But my PMA side is saying it's just normal and will get better someday.  I try to listen to the PMA side!!  :)
4CM AN Right Side. Retrosig Surgery March 2012. SSD

Pooter

• The Official Breeze Conjurer - PBW
    • Blog Website
Re: Is this what hearing loss "feels" like or something else?
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2012, 10:16:01 pm »
I ain't no expert, however what you're describing sounds like a normal part of the healing process.  Probably the "wonky head" is the closest thing to what you're describing.  To a certain extent, it's likely to always be there, however you'll learn to adjust to it.  I know you've heard it before probably, however it just takes time.  It will get better.  You should listen more to your PMA side.  ;)

Pooter...
Diagnosed 4/10/08 - 3cm Right AN
12hr retrosig 5/8/08 w/Drs Vrabec and Trask in Houston, Tx
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.
Story documented here:  http://briansbrainbooger.blogspot.com/

"I must be having fun all wrong!"  - Roger Creager

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2012, 02:42:12 pm »
Wonky head = what a bobblehead doll would feel if it could feel at all.

The ringing in your ear is tinnitus; some with ANs have it, some don't.  Also lots of people who don't have ANs have tinnitus.  It's not actually in your ear, the noise is in your head.  Lots of posts on the Forum about tinnitus - just search.

I had feeling of fullness in my AN ear prior to my AN surgery, but post op it disappeared. 

I'm with Pooter - pay attention to your PMA side!

Best,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

MWL

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2012, 12:52:42 pm »
I've had that feeling in my left ear (affected side) for years, well before I knoew about my tumor.  Hated flying for these last few years because it seemed even more uncomfortable than normal.  And I still have full hearing in the effected ear so at least in my case the feeling is seperate from hearing loss..  My tumor is 2.5cm and surgery is sked for 30 August.  At this rate it looks like I will probably still have hearing right up until the surgery.  I'm hoping that "full" feeling subsides after the surgery.

Good luck on your recovery
Meg