Author Topic: Differenciating near and far hearing  (Read 4204 times)

MDemisay

• Forever Thankful for Supportive ANA Friends!
Differenciating near and far hearing
« on: July 06, 2012, 02:51:24 pm »
To all,

Have any SSD's had any issues when in a theater between hearing 3 rows away(far) and hearing sounds nearest to you.

Isn't it confusing telling where they are coming from? How does one get over this?

I love going to the theater but in the last few years because of this problem I find myself going less and less. Has anyone come up with a way to get around this?

Mike
1974 - Dr. Michelson  Colombia Presbyterian removal of 3 Arterio Venous Malformations
2004- Dr. Sisti  NY Presbyterian subtotal removal of 3.1 cm AN,
2012 - June 11th Dr. Sisti Gamma Knife (easy-breasily done)"DEAD IRV" play taps!
Research, research, research then decide and trust in God's Hands!

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: Differenciating near and far hearing
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2012, 11:39:39 am »
Hi, Mike ~

I've been SSD for about a decade and have experienced this problem but haven't found it too distracting.  The sound from the theater speakers (whether a live performance or a film) is usually loud enough to make any nearby talk almost inaudible.  My wife sits on my 'hearing side' and whispers in my ear if she has a comment and that is usually sufficient.  However, SSD is not the same for everyone and if you are hearing talk/sounds 3 rows away, you may have some residual hearing or the hearing in your 'good' ear is especially acute.  In that case I cannot offer a solution because, as I've explained, my SSD experience (in this kind of situation) has been somewhat different.  One hopes that others may be more helpful. 

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

alabamajane

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2012, 09:17:11 am »
Mike,
I agree with Jim,, I go to the movies with my granddaughter mostly and she sits on my "good" side and whispers to speak,, but as far as hearing anyone else,, no,, not possible.. at least not possible to understand what they are saying. I am SSD from translab so have no hearing on the bad side.. TV is more troublesome than the movies actually... my husband is hard of hearing and so we have to have it pretty loud to understand conversations on TV.. the movies are so loud it is not as difficult.. I don't have any solutions as I have just been this way for 9 mo now and still getting used to it.. I find it so disconcerting in just "regular" social situations to not be able to tell where a sound is coming from,, very frustrating to say the least..thinking about hearing device, but not sure what type I am interested in.. trying to decide if I want to "remain" SSD and try to adjust......hope you get some better advice from others,, besides getting hearing device... not sure what else can help though! It is frustrating for sure... good luck,, Jane
translab Oct 27, 2011
facial nerve graft Oct 31,2011, eyelid weight removed Oct 2013, eye closes well

BAHA surgery Oct. 2014, activated Dec. 26

MDemisay

• Forever Thankful for Supportive ANA Friends!
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2012, 01:22:35 pm »
Dear Jim and Jane,

It is not so much of a problem when the play starts, being that everybody shuts up then! When I was just before my surgery in 2004 I used to mistake what people said often.....But now post surgery(after 2004) I have found myself (if I don't sit appropriately on my wife's left) becoming more and more irritable in public situations, such as at a restaurant.

Do you find that wearing an ear plug in the hearing ear might be helpful?

Mike
1974 - Dr. Michelson  Colombia Presbyterian removal of 3 Arterio Venous Malformations
2004- Dr. Sisti  NY Presbyterian subtotal removal of 3.1 cm AN,
2012 - June 11th Dr. Sisti Gamma Knife (easy-breasily done)"DEAD IRV" play taps!
Research, research, research then decide and trust in God's Hands!

nftwoed

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2012, 11:57:00 am »
Hi Mike;

Just a wild idea if you can't get used to the problem, but, you might go to an Aud. and explain the situation.
  I was thinking even a cheap hearing aid worn just for movies would have compression. Compression in a HA allows one to hear soft ( in your case, close ) sounds better. An open fit ear mold, and you might be in business.
  Personally, after Translab and good hearing the contralateral ear, I didn't encounter many hearing problems but directionality. Now, the other ear is nearly deaf also, soooo; Movies are 100% out  :-(
  Best wishes!