Author Topic: Different opinions from doctors  (Read 4106 times)

golfextreme

Different opinions from doctors
« on: August 09, 2012, 08:42:49 pm »
I had a 4cm AN removed on 4-26-12 and developed facial weakness after the surgery. The doctors said the nerve is intact and should return. The otolaryngologist said 6 weeks and that didn't happen. The neurosurgeon said it could take up to two years to regenerate and now the eyelid doctor I just saw said that if I haven't had full recovery by now, it's not going to happen. He said I would get some function, but never full. What is other people's experience with this?

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: Different opinions from doctors
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2012, 02:47:56 pm »
I'm not one who had facial weakness beyond 2 days post op, but there are lots of posts about facial weakness on the Forum. 

Facial nerves are very slow to regenerate, but I think most docs will tell you to give it a reasonable amount of time; much more than 6 weeks.  We've had people here who have seen facial nerve weakness improve as long as 2 years post op.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Tod

• My blog (work and life)
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2012, 03:03:00 pm »
Everyone is different. About six or seven weeks post-surgery I felt the tiniest of twitches. It accelerated after that. I think if you read other posts you will find plenty of other stories.

Good luck to you!

-tod
Bob the tumor: 4.4cm x 3.9cm x 4.1 cm.
Trans-Lab and Retro-sigmoid at MCV on 2/12/2010.

Removed 90-95% in a 32 hour surgery. Two weeks in ICU.  SSD Left.

http://randomdatablog.com

BAHA implant 1/25/11.

28 Sessions of FSR @ MCV ended 2/9/12.

golfextreme

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2012, 07:06:18 pm »
I have read a lot of posts about it, but I was wondering if those that got it back a year or so down the line did they get back full functionality or was it just partial movement? One of the reasons I'm asking is I'm losing facial muscle tone and it's starting to pull my face down. It could lead to the lower eyelid pulling away from the eyeball and inverting. I could have surgery to correct this as well as putting in the gold weight in my upper eyelid. It isn't a huge rush because I have a good Bell's reflex (the eye rolls up to meet the eyelid) and my cornea is currently in good shape. If I have the corrective surgery it'll have to be this year since my insurance out of pocket max has been reached and the surgery wouldn't cost anything more. I currently am paying on my surgery plus my wife just had a baby last year that we are paying on so the less medical bills the better

alabamajane

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2012, 11:08:36 am »
Hi sorry for your difficulties.. I had my facial nerve cut and grafted with the 12/7 anastomosis last Oct. 2011, I was told I would see some facial movement after about  6 mo but that full regeneration would take 12-18 mo. I have seen movement in my facial area at 10 mo mostly in some smile improvement, I can drink without  a straw all the time and at rest my face looks almost "normal"... a test was done few months ago to determine that graft 'took" so improvements should continue.
I am not sure why Dr. told you it should be that long for yours to "heal' if it is still intact.. seems like it would be shorter timeframe for it to strengthen than if it was cut.. but I am not a Dr.
I don't have much more advice as far as your surgery options, unfortunately. I do have the eyelid weight already and that helps eyelids meet so I don't have too much dry eye or cornea issues. I use eyedrops at night to help.. I do have lose of facial muscle tone also but not to degree that it is hurting eye closure I don't believe, maybe due to eyelid weight..
Have you tried massaging your face/ cheek area intermittently? I find that helps with tightness and pain and general circulation..also "make faces" at yourself and try to re-train those muscles and nerves.. I have not had any formal facial training yet but try to make it move on my own..
Hope any of this helps,, not sure what I would do about surgery if I was you,, sounds like you are  getting such conflicting advice from your Drs... unreal... good luck to you,, I do hope it starts to improve for you, , keep us informed as we do care and some others with facial issues will probably chime in... Jane
translab Oct 27, 2011
facial nerve graft Oct 31,2011, eyelid weight removed Oct 2013, eye closes well

BAHA surgery Oct. 2014, activated Dec. 26

PamJ

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2012, 02:15:55 pm »
I was told I had no facial nerve damage after my op.  I had terrible facial palsy and had to have my eye stitched down because I could not blink.  Now after 17 months I only have slight weakness to the corner of my mouth which is a great improvement and on Wednesday I have my eye opened.  Some people take longer than others.
March 2011 - Acoustic Neuroma translab surgery
July    2011 - Tarsorrhaphy surgery
June   2012 - BAHA abutment surgery
July    2012 - Tarsorrhapy reversed
Sept   2012 - BAHA (Pronto Pro) fitted
Sept   2013 - Diplopia Surgery
April   2014 - Platinum chain surgery