Author Topic: eating with facial paralysis  (Read 4584 times)

Karen

eating with facial paralysis
« on: August 13, 2006, 08:32:57 pm »
How many of you with facial paralysis have trouble eating a sandwch?  I have numbness also and have to eaither cut up the sandwich or flatten it to eat it.  Anybody got any sugggestions?  I would love to be able to pick up a hamburger and eat it the right way!  Also has anyone with facial numbness tried any medication for it?  Karen
Karen
     Surgery 12-17-03, nerve graft 1-04, 3.5 cm, facial paralysis, numbness and no hearing in left ear

kippy6

Re: eating with facial paralysis
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2006, 09:09:23 pm »
I don't know if I have facial paralysis or not (I can't open my mouth all the way, but haven't figured out if it's because I'm still sore or what). But I had my surgery a little over 3 weeks ago. Even though my smile is symmetrical, I cannot eat a sandwich or a banana because of my right side. I have to cut my sandwich into pieces in order to eat it. I have pain when trying to yawn or open my mouth enough to eat a sandwich.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2006, 10:11:16 pm by kippy6 »
AN surgery July 19, 2006
for 3cm AN and arachnoid cyst (right side)
Translab surgical approach
Dr. Brackmann and Dr. Hitselberger
House Ear Insititute

britbert

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2006, 09:45:00 pm »
Karen,

I still have a hard time eating.  Food still falls out of my mouth and sometimes when I drink, liquid spills out of my mouth (and I can't suck on a straw out of my left side).  Sometimes the people that I am with look at me.  Oh well.  I have some paralysis, but very little numbness.  No suggestions, just sympathy :).

Kippy: Right after my surgery I was a mess--literally--when I ate.  It sounds like you are doing great.

Brittany
AN Surgery (left) @ age 28; 1.21.2004
Dr. Shelton & Dr. MacDonald
University of Utah Hospital

Battyp

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2006, 05:05:48 am »
I have facial numbness not paralysis as my face moves and has tone but find eating certain foods a problem.  I've resorted to eating a hamburger with a fork and sandwhichs I'll only eat at home as I can't tell where I'm biting.  I keep plenty of napkins, straws nearby and someone willing to tell me I have food on my face if I'm out in public.  Through trial and error I've learned what is easier to eat.  I have trouble with small crunchy foods (cereal, chips) and some consistencies (yogurt I can handle if it's the thick kind), Ice cream is a killer  >:(

amymeri

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2006, 03:17:15 pm »
I have facial paralysis AND numbness and eating has lost all pleasure for me.  Initially, I couldn't eat anything like sandwiches and hamburgers because I couldn't tell how hard I was biting or on what, so I ended up biting my lip to bloody shreds.  I am better now and can eat a burger or sandwhich but it isn't pretty as I often get food on my face and can't feel it.  The lack of sensation makes it hard to chew or locate food on that side and my decreased tongue dexterity can make it hard to move food and easier to choke.

As I heal my face and lips spasm a lot and then I can't move my lips or mouth...that's a challenge!

Having said that....4 months out my paralysis has eased a tiny bit and my eating skills have improved.  Much easier to eat bit sized bits, lots of napkins for burgers, I don't eat in public and carry straws around.  With some tone improvement, eating gets a bit easier.  There is no medication that will help.  The nerve just has to heal.  I was told 3-18 months.  I started healing VERY slowly last month at 3 mos post op and expect the healing will take more than a year before I can determine what I am left with.

Ohhhhhh, I would love to chew and taste and feel again!!!!

Amy

4 cm AN removed 4/13/06
Amy

4 cm right AN removed restrosigmoid 4/13/06
Partial facial paralysis, SSD and trigeminal numbness for now

pattibobatti

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2006, 02:42:18 pm »
Hi everyone,

I always have alot of napkins around when I'm eating.
I was by myself at home yesterday and decided to eat my big sandwich like I used to.  I just ate it , food going everywhere.Not one napkin.
That was great!!!!!!
Sick, right?

Pattibobatti
17 mm AN removed 1-16-06
  retrosigmoid
  paralysis, cornea transplant,avascular necrosis

'Are we having fun yet?'

Gennysmom

• Genny says "La!"
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2006, 06:25:15 pm »
I agree with everyone....and I won't eat a salad in public, I make a huge mess.  I have to cut my sandwich in half and it has to be thin....I have not been able to figure a better way to do it, so if anyone else does....I'm keeping my eye on this.  My problem is that putting a sandwich in pushes either my upper or lower right lip to get in just enough for me to bite it if I'm not careful.  Same with pizza.  Some of the eating joy has left me too, but I still do it...I keep hoping that the next thing I try will be better. 
3.1cm x 2.0cm x 2.1cm rt AN Translab 7/5/06
CSF leak 7/17/06 fixed by 8 day lumbar drain
Dr. Backous, Virgina Mason Seattle
12/26/07 started wearing TransEar

Jeanlea

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2006, 08:48:23 pm »
I also have facial paralysis and numbness.  I keep napkins close by, especially when I eat in public.  Ice cream turns me into a terrible mess.  Doesn't stop me from eating it though.  lol  It's eat one bite and wipe.  I began eating hamburgers and other sandwiches two to three weeks after surgery.  In the beginning I would bite my lip so hard it was bloody, but after awhile I learned to adapt.  I try to take small bites and imagine where my teeth should be.  At this point even though I can't feel the food, I just know it's there on my face and so I wipe it away with my napkin.  For liquids I hold the corner of my mouth up so I don't need a straw.  Always need two hands to drink; one to hold the cup and one to hold up my lip.  Sure would be nice if this would improve.  It's been almost a year now.  Not sure how much more improvement I'll see beyond the slight movement I have now.

Jean
translab on 3.5+ cm tumor
September 6, 2005
Drs. Friedland and Meyer
Milwaukee, WI
left-side facial paralysis and numbness
TransEar for SSD

tony

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2006, 12:23:50 pm »
Its definately an issue for sure
Two tips though