Author Topic: Had Surgery on Tuesday  (Read 2991 times)

chance1212

Had Surgery on Tuesday
« on: November 17, 2012, 11:42:51 am »
today is my 4th day post-op. Went home from Vanderbilt yesterday. All doctors and staff were better than we could have anticipated. Everyone says I'm doing fantastic. So far the only setbacks have been the incision on my side did some weird clotting thing and I had to lay in bed the 1st day. Also, the i.v. in my hand was a new experience as far as this flushing thing that has to be done prior to administering pain meds and antibiotics, etc.--once they moved it from my hand there was no more burn/pain when flushing. I feel very tired but no wonky head. I'm not sure what that is but I think I'd know if I had it. Walking is ok, too. The surgery was scheduled for 10 but I was out in 7. The other great thing is that they got it all and slim chance for regrowth. I have no paralysis!!
6mm 08/11;   lost hearing by 10/11 & tinnitus;  growth shown 02/12;  more growth-now 1.2 cm 08/12;  Translab @ Vanderbilt Haynes/Thompson  11/13/12
J. Hildebrandt

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: Had Surgery on Tuesday
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2012, 01:36:03 pm »
Congratulations on achieving 'postie' status and enjoying an excellent recovery!  At this rapid rate, you'll be back to your normal routine very soon. 

Please try to keep us updated on your accelerated recuperation.  :)  Thanks.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2012, 02:46:52 pm »
Yaaaay chance1212 .....

Glad you did so well.  It's what we like to hear!

I hate it when they put an IV in my hand (or the top of my wrist, for that matter) ..... hurts like crazy!!  Always so relieved when they take it out.

That's great that you are walking well.  Fatigue is very normal.  It is important to listen to your body these next couple of weeks and take short naps when the fatigue hits.

Thoughts and prayers for a continued uneventful recovery!

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2012, 07:23:45 pm »
Sounds like you're doing very well.

Congratulations on being a "postie" - and best wishes for a continued speedy recovery.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

lrobie

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2012, 10:06:13 am »
That is great news!!  I think you would know it if you had issues with wonky head.  Good luck on your road to recovery.

Lisa
6/2009 7mm x 4mm  W&W
8/2011 9.5mm x 5mm
2/2012 UPMC Follow-up , slight growth
Surgery on 7/18/12 w/Drs. Friedman & Schwartz (mid-fossa)
www.caringbridge.org/visit/lisarobie

Chances3

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2012, 12:07:32 pm »
Hi Chance1212

Great news !  As Clarice has correctly pointed out, fatigue is normal.  Give your body the rest it wants, even if it's just relaxing in front of that television.  Go slow, remember you didn't see the dentist, you had brain surgery.  Keep posting, and looking forward to hearing more good news.

Regards - your cousin,

Chances3

It is what it is

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2012, 07:34:02 pm »
Hurray!!  It's over!  Congratulations.  :)

karen
.7cm, left side AN , Tinnitus, Hearing preserved, Middle Fossa 8/1/12 at HEI, Drs Friedman and Schwartz, Sharing your story is extremely helpful to me.