Author Topic: Drs in Virginia Beach  (Read 8427 times)

badkins

Drs in Virginia Beach
« on: September 10, 2005, 09:19:04 am »
I have just been diagnosed with a AN last month. Please if anybody has any Drs they have had perfom the operation I would love their names

Beth
18x18x19mm an rs 1-10-06
Translab approach
Gamma knife 9-29-06 UVA
25% regrowth 1st follow-up
Life has been good to me :-)

amoore9334

Re: Drs in Virginia Beach
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2005, 08:04:56 pm »
Hi - I don't know if you would be interested in drs. in NC or not, but my husband has surgery scheduled for a 2.7 cm AN on 11/9 with Drs. Cunningham, McElveen & Fukushima in Raleigh (at one of the Duke hospitals).  Drs. Cunningham & McElveen both had fellowships at House and McElveen worked there for a while.  Fukushima is world renowned for skull based surgeries as well.  To give you a point of reference, Drs. Cunningham & McElveen removed nine AN's in August alone.  Their practice's name is Carolina Ear & Hearing.  We were quite impressed with the amount of time they spent with us as well as their experience.  May be worth the trip!  Good luck!

cookiesecond

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2005, 09:48:47 pm »
I had surgery August 2 with Drs Cunningham,McElveen,and Fukushima and my surgery was a success.They removed all of the tumor.Dr Cunningham was my primary doctor and he has been great. He really takes time with you and is very caring. we need more doctors like him.
Lynn

Joy

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2005, 05:13:44 am »
My neurosurgeon, Dr. John Schmidt and Dr. Fukushima did my surgery in Morgantown, WV.  Both were very good to me. :)
Smile, God loves you!

GM

• I hate annual MRI's !!!
    • My Blog Page
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2005, 05:30:44 am »
Beth,

There are a few of us (3 so far) that live here in Hampton Roads VA, one had surgery and two of us had radiation...we met last month for coffee.  You didn't metion the size of your tumor or if you are having any side issues from it. 

Have you already performed research?  Here is a link for Virginia doctors keep this it will give you all sorts of info on their background.  It shows where they;ve studied, practiced, papers they've written, even if they have been sued! 

If you'd like to communicate by email or phone I'd be happy to type/speak with you.

http://www.vahealthprovider.com/

Gary
Originally 1.8cm (left ear)...Swelled to 2.1 cm...and holding after GK treatment (Nov 2003)
Gamma Knife University of Virginia  http://www.medicine.virginia.edu/clinical/departments/neurosurgery/gammaknife/home-page
Note: Riverside Hospital in Newport News Virginia now has GK!!

badkins

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2005, 09:25:50 am »
Thanks Gary,

Yes I am having constant ringing, hearing loss, and dizziness on a daily basis. The docs say not to have the GK because of my age 38. Would love to hear more about this procedure. The doctor said my symptoms would improve in about a month or so. I am deciding to have the translab sooner rather than later. I am very confused about now.
Beth
18x18x19mm an rs 1-10-06
Translab approach
Gamma knife 9-29-06 UVA
25% regrowth 1st follow-up
Life has been good to me :-)

Mark

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2005, 06:02:31 pm »
Beth,

I would not rule out Radiosurgery based on your age. You might find the post I made in the radiosurgery section on August 15 called "doctor - Patient exchange #2 from the CPSG board" of interest. It involves a dialog between an AN patient and Dr Medberry from St Anthony's Medical center in Oklahoma city. First question speaks directly to your concern.

Mark
CK for a 2 cm AN with Dr. Chang/ Dr. Gibbs at Stanford
November 2001

GM

• My Blog Page
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2005, 06:42:21 pm »
You must be speaking with a surgeon..(sorry surgery patients).  I had GK when I was 42...I don't know where he's getting this "your too old" business...   Radiation avoidance is based on tumor size and tumor location...not on age.

I would HIGHLY suggest that you do some research before making any decision (radiation, surgery, or watch and wait),  this is a condition that you'll have to be "smart on" because docs are subjective.  Surgeons will advise against radiation, radiologists will advise against surgery...and they both will advise against watch & wait. 

Unless you are suffering and cannot function with the side issues of the AN...I wouldn’t jump into Translab.  I still have the hearing in my left AN ear...

I would recommend that you see an ENT doc...again feel free to email me directly.  If you'd like to chat on the phone send me an email and I'll forward my phone number to you...

Gary
Originally 1.8cm (left ear)...Swelled to 2.1 cm...and holding after GK treatment (Nov 2003)
Gamma Knife University of Virginia  http://www.medicine.virginia.edu/clinical/departments/neurosurgery/gammaknife/home-page

Rick Everingham

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2005, 11:49:46 am »
I had translab surgery for my 1.5cm AN at the Richmond VA hospital on Jul 30, 2003.  My doctor was Dr. Aristrides Sismans from MCV in Richmond and he did a wonderful job.  He is the head of the Department of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery, Medical College of Virginia, Richmond 23298.  I highly recommend him for surgical opitions.
1.5x1x1.2cm AN surgically removed by Tans Lab Jul 30, 2003, McGuire VA Hospital in Richmond, VA.

Laura

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2006, 04:31:53 pm »
Hi Rick! I just received my appointment papers in the mail today. I have an appointment with Dr. Sismans on October 19th. Can you give me any further details regarding him such as his numbers of surgerys etc... Any information would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Laura
Diagnosed August 17, 2006
AN on right side 1cm x 7mm x 7mm
30% hearing loss with no other symptoms
Watching and Waiting
http://www.patient-network.com/lparr
It's mind over "matter"... even if the "matter" is in my mind

GM

• My Blog Page
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2006, 06:45:37 pm »
Laura,

Its been a while since I've heard from Rick..and his posting is almost a year old...   I'd suggest asking the doctor straight up about his track record.   Don't be afraid to ask deep probing questions and DON'T GO ALONE...bring a loved one that can ask questions and take notes for you!  Get the doctors phone number so you can ask follow up questions.

It's extremely important to be an active patient when you have an "AN"  the doctor may be the "expert" but do not be a passive patient. Be involved in your treatment decisions.

Also check here for further info about Docs in Virginia:  http://www.vahealthprovider.com/

Best wishes!

GM

Laura

« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2006, 06:36:13 am »
Thanks GM! I did follow your advice and checked him out on that site - pretty niffty little site I might add! It doesn't list the numbers of surgery's and whatnot that he has done but as you suggest, that would be something to ask him. I did post another question to the Info on Physicians... hopefully someone will respond as I would love to chat directly with someone who has been treated by him. It kind of scares me a bit that he is so unmentioned on this site.

My husband will be joining me and possibly my mother-in-law as she is a retired nurse and has a better understanding of what is going on then the rest of us. She is good at taking in the medical terms and translating them to English so the common person can understand. It's very comforting to have someone in my life that is willing to do that  :D.

Thanks for you help and best wishes to you

Laura
Diagnosed August 17, 2006
AN on right side 1cm x 7mm x 7mm
30% hearing loss with no other symptoms
Watching and Waiting
http://www.patient-network.com/lparr
It's mind over "matter"... even if the "matter" is in my mind

GM

• My Blog Page
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2006, 05:49:50 pm »
Laura,

I'm going to email you a document of questions to ask your Doc when you go...it's pretty handy.  I got it off of another site so I can't take credit for it...

Look in your mailbox...

Best wishes!

GM

Rick Everingham

« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2006, 08:12:40 am »
Laura,

I really don't remember any specifics on number of surgeries and such, just that I was quite impressed with his resume when I read it and I felt really comfortable with him when I met him.  I can only say, my surgery was successful and my post op issues are minimal compared to many.

Please fell free to email me at rick_e81@yahoo.com.
1.5x1x1.2cm AN surgically removed by Tans Lab Jul 30, 2003, McGuire VA Hospital in Richmond, VA.