Author Topic: Eye discomfort  (Read 2509 times)

dada300

Eye discomfort
« on: August 22, 2006, 04:06:01 pm »
Hi all, I'm new here.  My mom (73 yrs young) had AN surgery 4 years ago.  The surgery was a success, but she had partial facial paralysis.  She ended up having that surgery to repair her facial nerve using some of her tongue nerve, which helped.  She managed to overcome her dry eye problem (sees an opthalmologist regularly), but has a problem with eye discomfort, like the feeling you get when you get soap in your eye.   It's not constant but it's frequent.  Has anyone else had this problem or heard of it?  If so, what can be done?  The opthalmologist doesn't really have a solution since it's not being caused by dry eye.  Any suggestions would be appreciated!  Thanks!

Joef

• ** I rather be Kayak Fishing **
Re: Eye discomfort
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2006, 05:26:47 pm »
so she is not using drops? or just sometimes?

I personally find that since I do not have enough tears I have trouble keeping my eye clean .... and when I have discomfort, I take a close look at my eye in the mirror (pulling down on my check to see in the eye good)... and commonly find a eyelash !  Since I wore contacts years ago (before AN) , I have no touble touching my eyeball (with clean hands!) until the hair sticks to it and remove it ..
  Have her do this! , and stay clear of dusty areas , paint fumes and such ... and I can't see whats in my eye, take a long shower! run the water over my face (I cover my eyes so not to get a direct spay, but let the water run over them) and then drops when I got out .... I got it down to a system now  ;D
« Last Edit: August 22, 2006, 05:28:29 pm by Joef »
4 cm AN/w BAHA Surgery @House Ear Clinic 08/09/05
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger, Dr. Stefan and Dr. Joni Doherty
1.7 Gram Gold Eye weight surgery on 6/8/07 Milford,CT Hospital

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2006, 05:35:12 pm »
dada, welcome to you and your mom... I'm sorry to hear she's running into this but know she is not alone.

Having recently run into the issue with eye problems (ie: dry eye), my optomitrist now has me on Systane drops by day, GenTeal ointment for extreme dry eye for overnight. Seems to help clear it up. Mine is just as JoeF *waves to JoeF!* described.

Be well, and please let mom know we are here for you all!
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Joef

• ** I rather be Kayak Fishing **
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2006, 06:05:50 pm »
waving back at ya!  ;D
4 cm AN/w BAHA Surgery @House Ear Clinic 08/09/05
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger, Dr. Stefan and Dr. Joni Doherty
1.7 Gram Gold Eye weight surgery on 6/8/07 Milford,CT Hospital

KenJen

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2006, 12:28:30 pm »
Dada:  My husband has extreme dry eye, not because of facial problems.  He uses Restasis at night and morning and Lacra Lub jell at night and general eye drops during the day.  You say that your mom's eye discomfort is not due to dry eye? (did I misunderstand?) I would be interested in knowing the reason.  We are on a search to find a solution for my hubby. He is in discomfort all the time since his surgery in July. Hope your mom finds the answer, I know how difficult it is to not find any relief. Welcome and keep searching. KenJen  8)
Translab - House 7/17/06
No facial problems but post and pre surgery  chronic dry eye in both eyes