Author Topic: Dizziness increasing 4-months post-op  (Read 8580 times)

HeadCase2

• Carpe Grog
Re: Dizziness increasing 4-months post-op
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2006, 06:48:50 am »
Dee,
  Gentamicin is thought to have side effects for some people that can bring on balance problems.  So it would not be used to treat balance problems.  Do a google search on "Gentamicin toxicity" for more info.
Regards,
 Rob
1.5 X 1.0 cm AN- left side
Retrosigmoid 2/9/06
Duke Univ. Hospital

GrogMeister of the PBW

DeniseSmith

« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2006, 07:01:14 am »
Dee,

I hope you have found some relief for your dizziness. I only had vertigo/dizziness during my stay at the hospital.  I find the more i walk the better mine gets.  Now i do walk like I am drunk, but at least I am walking.  Good Luck, hoe you find releif soon.! ::)

Denise 8)

nannettesea

« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2006, 04:42:58 pm »
Dee,
Nan again.  In my NON-EXPERT opinion/knowledge, Gentamycin isn't usually used for translab since there should be no hairs left in there (it kills the hair/reception fibers, not the nerves), and not a risk to hearing since we trans-labbers have no hearing in that ear.  My doc said there are some risks, but wouldn't say what.  However, if you have residual nerve function, it might be helpful.  It is injected locally, so can't hurt other ear.  It is dangerous as a general anti-biotic because it DOES kill balance hair fibers.

After 8 months of misery, I am now on Klonopin which eases the dizziness.  It is the only thing that helps me function.  The Chicago expert dizzy doc I saw (Dr. Tim Hain) said even taking the meds, dizziness should resolve as long as we get rigorous exercise and do vestibular exercises.  I gave up on them (sorry, Capn Deb) because they didn't help me.  I have more complex reasons for dizziness, however, as I mentioned to you before.  HOWEVER, I am now trying to walk 2 miles every day, which is HUGE for me from 3 months ago.

Hope this helps
DD (Nan)

1.7cm x 1.4cm x .8cm, right ear
Trans-lab approach
Dr. Jay Rubinstein, U of WA
8/29/05

Boppie

« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2006, 05:03:50 pm »
Tony, Yes, I agree with you on the eye rest.  I sit in my chair with my eyes shut for several minutes when I feel fatigue.  This works very well for me, too!

My husband and I have always had a fmily joke about Grandma's defence when we caught her napping, "Oh, I'm just resting my eyes".  She was so smart. :)

Dabs4811

« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2006, 06:08:13 pm »
My former husband's dad was "resting his eyes" in church one Sunday, a long time ago, when the minister hit the pulpit to make a point.  At that point, a man who NEVER was known to swear sat up and said, "What the h_ _ _!  He was so embarrassed. 

I called the surgeon's office a little while ago and the doctor-on-call phoned me.  She couldn't attribute any of my symptoms to anything specific but I'll call my local ENT tomorrow for a visit.

Thanks for the responses. 
Dee (my mom still calls me Dolores) :-)
Translab 4/27/06, Hearing loss on right side
Michigan Ear Institute — Dr. Kartush
64 years old, have 6 Boston Terriers

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2006, 08:22:14 pm »
Dee,
Nan again.  In my NON-EXPERT opinion/knowledge, Gentamycin isn't usually used for translab since there should be no hairs left in there (it kills the hair/reception fibers, not the nerves), and not a risk to hearing since we trans-labbers have no hearing in that ear.  My doc said there are some risks, but wouldn't say what.  However, if you have residual nerve function, it might be helpful.  It is injected locally, so can't hurt other ear.  It is dangerous as a general anti-biotic because it DOES kill balance hair fibers.

After 8 months of misery, I am now on Klonopin which eases the dizziness.  It is the only thing that helps me function.  The Chicago expert dizzy doc I saw (Dr. Tim Hain) said even taking the meds, dizziness should resolve as long as we get rigorous exercise and do vestibular exercises.  I gave up on them (sorry, Capn Deb) because they didn't help me.  I have more complex reasons for dizziness, however, as I mentioned to you before.  HOWEVER, I am now trying to walk 2 miles every day, which is HUGE for me from 3 months ago.

Hope this helps

It's OK Nan, I've given up on them more times than you know, for reasons of my own. If you can take a short walk everyday, even 15 or 20 minutes, the results are hugely beneficial.
Capt Deb 8)
DD (Nan)

"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

nannettesea

« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2006, 10:13:34 am »
Thanks for understanding, Capn Deb.  I feel guilty for not doing the exercises, but...these tennies are made for walkin'--with pirate booties, of course.
xxxxooo,
Nan
1.7cm x 1.4cm x .8cm, right ear
Trans-lab approach
Dr. Jay Rubinstein, U of WA
8/29/05