Author Topic: Fibromyalgia and AN surgery?  (Read 2166 times)

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
Fibromyalgia and AN surgery?
« on: December 02, 2012, 02:35:51 pm »
Ahoy, Mateys!
I haven't been around for a while but I thought I'd check in and ask a question.  Has anyone here been diagnosed with fibromyalgia after their AN surgery or radiation treatment?  I had a piece of cake routine surgery for a small AN--2 and a half hour surgery.  I began having severe head pain 2 weeks post-op and ended up with years of debilitating migraine-type headaches.  My last migraine was 2 monthas ago so I call that progress! 

Unfortunately I began to develop other heath issues and had a few more surgeries with very rough recoveries.  At the beginning of this year I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia.  I am wondering if it was triggered by my AN surgery and the resultant stress induced by the migraines.  Just wondering if there was anyone else out there who has been through the same thing.  Or maybe I already had fibro and that's what triggered the post-op migraines?  Sort of a chicken or the egg thing??

Still Swashbucklin',

Capt Deb
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: Fibromyalgia and AN surgery?
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2012, 10:54:58 am »
Good to see ya, Captain  ;D

I don't have fibromyalgia, but was wondering if you'd thought to check in with your docs @ HEI.  Since HEI does so many AN surgeries, maybe they've found a connection.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Chances3

Re: Fibromyalgia and AN surgery?
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2012, 12:14:00 pm »
Hi Captain Deb,

My wife was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia in the early 90's.  I am the AN patient, she is not.  Here is what we know and have learned about it.  It's afflicts primarily women.  It can be the result of a trauma - surgery, child birth or an accident.  My wife was in a serious car accident 10 years before she was diagnosed with it.  It is not life threatening, but debilitating.  She was advised to do low impact exercises to keep the muscles firm.  Swimming and physical therapy in a pool was considered the best.  I hope that helps.

All the best,

Bob