Author Topic: Mederma?  (Read 3033 times)

DeniseSmith

Mederma?
« on: August 23, 2006, 06:40:51 am »
Hello,
I had the 12/7 nerve switch surgery on 8/3/06.  As those of you who have had the surgery know the incision site is quite large. I tried to use Mederma to help reduce the scar, but i think I am allergic to it.  My neck started itching and I had to wash it off.  Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions to help me heal with little or no scarring?

THANKS!!

DENISE 8)

Kathleen_Mc

Re: Mederma?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2006, 07:06:12 am »
Denise: Try Vitamin E, get the capsules normally swalled and squeeze the fluid out of them (poke a hole in them with a fine needle) and rub that on, it may help. My scar is not all that noticeable after all the years and I didn't do anything with it....it sits in the crease of my neck.
Kathleen
1st AN surgery @ age 23, 16 hours
Loss of 7-10th nerves
mulitple "plastic" repairs to compensate for effects of 7th nerve loss
tumor regrowth, monitored for a few years then surgically removed @ age 38 (of my choice, not medically necessary yet)

matti

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2006, 07:07:02 am »
 I would ask your doctor first, but I had that applying vitamin E was supposed to be helpful.

Cheryl
3.5 cm  - left side  Single sided deafness 
Middle Fossa Approach - California Ear Institute at Stanford - July 1998
Dr. Joseph Roberson and Dr. Gary Steinberg
Life is great at 50

Battyp

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2006, 07:22:25 am »
Vitamin E...and it's less expensive than mederma!  I used it on my ankle after my reconstruction surgery.  It helped tremendously!  You can buy it in capsule form or liquid form.  I liked the capsules the best.

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2006, 07:24:19 am »
I have to chime in as well about Vit E.  After my thyroid surgery and the incision on the front of my neck, I used Vit E oil and cream and now, to look at my neck, you can't even see a line where the incision was... Maybe worth a try.

Phyl :)
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2006, 12:38:17 pm »
The West Indians use aloe for everything! I have an aloe vera plant that looks pretty butchered, I use it so much. It works great on healing up my bug bites, sunburn, and just about every thing else anyone in this house gets.
Capt Deb
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW