Author Topic: Insurance Question  (Read 3790 times)

brucifer

Insurance Question
« on: August 17, 2006, 02:13:02 pm »
« Last Edit: August 29, 2007, 06:23:10 am by brucifer »

Raydean

Re: Insurance Question
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2006, 02:54:25 pm »
I may be wrong, but i believe that as long as the insurance coverage remains continuous, with no laspes in coverage time the new insurance would cover you with no pre existing clauses.  You're accepted regardless of current medical problems.

We were in a similar situation with his coverage from his employment ending the last day of the month.  We obtained coverage starting the first on the following month and had surgery 3 weeks later.  The key is the continuous coverage.  Any insurance agent should be able to explain this better.

Hope this helps
Raydean

Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Battyp

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2006, 05:23:00 pm »
I've heard the same thing.  I do know with my school insurance I had to sign up during open enrollment which allowed me to be treated for any preexisting condition.  Can you cobra you're wife's existing insurance until you know for sure about other coverage?  Have her find out from her new employers who their insurance is with and call them and start asking for clarification...just get it in writing!!

DeniseSmith

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2006, 11:49:05 am »
Have your wife ask her new employer, they can contact the insurance carrier and let you know.

I got a job offer after my surgery last year and I asked the interviewer to check on pre-exisiting conditions with their insurance, they were more than happy to check for me.

Denise

Obita

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2006, 03:37:06 pm »
Hi Bruce:

I changed jobs and paid my former employer my premiums for the three months before my new insurance kicked in.  It is correct that they cannot deny you coverage on pre-existing conditions if you are insured with no lapse between insurers.

Good luck on your move,  Kathy

ps:  I just wanted to mention I live in Minnesota but I think it is a national law now?????
Kathy - Age 54
2.5 cm translab May '04
University of Minnesota - Minneapolis
Dr. Sam Levine - Dr. Stephen Haines

Raydean

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2006, 01:43:26 pm »
Hi bruce

Back when we were in a similar situation I called and got the physician identifcation number.  I then contacted my insurance agent and said show me the plans that cover this doctor.  I made it clear that this doctor was a priority and we based our decision of coverage on this Doctor being covered.
Really saved me time and effort.  Perhaps it would work for you.  If you could obtain Emory's identification number and during your meeting ask which insurance plans cover this medical facility.
it would also save you time and effort.

Best to you
Raydean
Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

HeadCase2

• Carpe Grog
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2006, 04:25:21 pm »
Bruce,
  Some health plans have a time limit on treatment for pre-existing conditions.  By that I mean they may not cover treatment for a pre-existing condition until after some time period has passed.  The time period may be different for various health plans (3 months, 1 year, etc.).
Regards,
 Rob
1.5 X 1.0 cm AN- left side
Retrosigmoid 2/9/06
Duke Univ. Hospital

GrogMeister of the PBW

daylilly

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2006, 08:11:34 am »
Hi Bruce,
I just saw your post. We live in the Atlanta area and when my husband was considering changing jobs he was told
to make sure that we kept our insurance coverage continuous. He was told to pay for cobra until he was absolutely sure
that the policy from the new job was in place. He did not change jobs so we never went through any paper work but
I know they really emphasized the continuous part.  Sue
3 cm AN
translab July 2005, Emory, Dr. Mattox, Dr. Olson
gold weight, Dr. Wojno
left-sided deaf
left-sided facial paralysis