Author Topic: Fractional Radiation & Steroids  (Read 3140 times)

Patti UT

• Keep On Keepin On
Fractional Radiation & Steroids
« on: August 24, 2006, 02:23:16 pm »
I have been reading some posts here on threads about recurrance. SOme of you were given fractional radiation to kill off the cells that may have been left behind????  My Docs told me that if even ONE CELL was left behind the tumor could grow back. So I'm now wondering why I wasn't given the option to have this fractional to kill off a possibility of regrowth???  ANd then steroids?? Unless I was give them in the hospital I don't think I had them. I am assuming for swelling???

Patti UT
2cm Rt side  middle fossa  at University of Utah 9/29/04.
rt side deafness, dry eye, no taste, balance & congintive issues, headaches galore
7/9/09 diganosed with recurrent AN. Translab Jan 13 2010  Happy New Year

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: Fractional Radiation & Steroids
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2006, 02:50:49 pm »
Patti:

Yes, you probably received steriods in the hospital to help reduce any possible brain swelling, post-op.  I did.  They were given by mouth (2 pills per day) beginning my first day.  When I was discharged, after 5 days, I was given a 7-day prescription for steroids by my surgeon.  I took 2 pills per day for 4 days, 1 pill the fifth day and a half pill for the sixth and seventh day -  and that was that.  My neurosurgeon said I didn't need any more steroid pills.  He was obviously correct.

My surgeon shared my concerns for post-op complications and said he would remove as much of the large (4.5 cm) tumor as he could without damaging any nerves.  He did.  Nice job.  I came through the surgery with almost none of the problems I read about here.  He also told me that he wouldn't try to get 100% of the AN (he got about 70%) and that I would need Fractionalized Radiation treatments later.  That is, 30 or so relatively low-dose radiation 'shots' given over 30 days (5 days per week) carefully focused on the remaining tumor.  They use an MRI and a CAT scan to 'map' the tumor 'site' and set up a pattern for the tech to use when he radiates the 'site'  It's painless but time-consuming (6 weeks, five days per week for about 45 minutes per session) and there may be side-effects, such as fatigue.  I begin my treatments in mid-September.   It was always a part of my surgical plan to prevent a possible recurrence.  Although there are never any guarantees, the radiation treatments are an 'insurance policy' of sorts.  Seems like a worthy idea to me.  :)

Jim
« Last Edit: August 25, 2006, 02:53:09 pm by Jim Scott »
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.