Author Topic: One week to GK.......  (Read 2297 times)

Nank

One week to GK.......
« on: July 18, 2013, 05:30:07 pm »
I wish I hadn't read that Head Frame post!   :o

I wish they could give me pills for all of this week to keep me calm before I get there.
I will be doing it sedated because there is no way I can do those machines, I am severely claustrophobic!

How many follow up appointments will I need after GK?

How long will I be on steroids and what will they do to me?

I am trying to keep busy, watching movies, reading books, magazines so I am not "thinking" about it too much!

1.3x0.7 cm AN in right ear
Diagnosed 6/12/13
Tinnitus, ear pain
No hearing loss
GK 7/25/13

robinb

Re: One week to GK.......
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2013, 06:41:44 pm »
I wish you hadn't read these posts either.

Keep yourself calm, get a massage or do something else you find soothing.

You will be fine and sail through this, especially if you are sedated. I was, there's no reason you wont.

I had no follow ups after GK, except when my spasms started. I am in CA and my doc is in Pittsburgh, no problem w/that. I don't know that steroids are standard but I had no issues w/them, has several rounds before I knew I had AN. My first follow ups in next weeks, for 6 mos MRI, hearing and blood work.

My other advice is stay off the discussion board, it will only get you stressed. If you have anyone you spoke with or emailed, PM, they will offer encouragement. I was fortunate to have people from this board to communicate with through PM. Feel free to PM me, I will get right back to you!!
AN Diagnosed 11-2012 right side
13mm x 7.2 mm
Gamma Knife 1/24/13
UPMC w/Dr. Lunsford
Officially a postie toastie!
See my treatment journal at: http://www.anausa.org/smf/index.php?topic=18291.0

cindyjarrett

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2013, 07:28:29 pm »
I just wanted to reassure you.  I had gamma knife on October 12, 2012.   You have done your homework and made your decision.  Be confident.  I prayed a lot and was at peace with my decision.  The head frame was not bad.  I was sedated and when I woke up it was on.  I believe I was only out for a few minutes.  I was not given any sedatives for the MRI or gamma knife.  I was finished by lunch and came home. 

About month four I began to have some ear pain and face pain.  My doctor put me on a steroid and brought me back in for a MRI.  I had some swelling (which is normal).  The doctor put me on another steroid.  That time it worked and all my symptoms went away.  I have been fine since then.  I was then told I would need to get another MRI in three months.  Just had that done in June.  They feel the tumor is showing signs of dying.  There was no change in the size of the tumor.  I will go back in December for the next MRI. 

I have been very happy with my decision to do gamma knife.  I had lost some word recognition in my left ear before gamma and do have tinnitus.  I wish you all the best and will be praying for you.
If you have any questions, please feel free to PM me. :)
Diagnosed 8/9/12 with an on left side
19 mm x 17 mm x 13 mm
tinnitus with high pitch hearing loss
Will have gammaknife at UVA with Dr. Sheehan on 10/12/12
Trusting in God

Petrone

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2013, 09:40:54 pm »
Hi Nank,

I wouldn't worry too much about the headframe.  You will be offered an IV sedative, which will put you at ease for the entire process.  Fear of the unknown is causing your anxiousness, which is perfectly normal.  Who of us ever thought we'd experience something like GK?  But you'll get through it!  As myself and others have before you, and still others will after you.  Your team of health care providers will put you at ease as you sense that they know exactly what they are doing, which will put you further at ease.  Before you know it, it will all be over and you'll be on your way home to rest. 

Sending positive thoughts your way for your GK and during your recovery. 
Petrone
1.4cm diagnosed 3/2010
W&W until 1.8cm by 10/2012
GK performed 4/17/2013 at Froedtert in WI
2 years after GK - 1.6cm
3 years after GK - 1.4cm