Author Topic: Pre-Surgical Symptomatic Treatment  (Read 2828 times)

milhaus

Pre-Surgical Symptomatic Treatment
« on: July 06, 2013, 03:19:12 pm »
I am a recently diagnosed AN patient with a large primarily extracannilicular 3.8 cm tumor causing a large displacement of my brain stem. I do have hearing loss and tinnitis, but those don't bother me so much. I have a large degree of dizziness, vertigo, lightheadedness, nausea and associated symptoms. My tumor is large enough that my doctors are moving other patients out of the way trying to get me into the operating room as soon as possible, but it looks like surgery is still a few weeks away. I have tried just about everything including meclizine, scopalamine, and valium to help with my dizziness and none of it really works. Valium only works in very large doses (10 mg several times daily). Strangely, the most effective treatment I have ever found which works extremely well is alcohol. Two to Three drinks is more effective for me than 50 mg meclizine or even 5 mg valium. I doubt many doctors would advocate this treatment approach, but I have to ask. Has anyone else noticed this, used alcohol to help their dizziness, or found any more effective treatments? I can't work, I am not allowed to drive, and I am mostly just stuck at home looking for relief. Does anyone have any advice?
3.8 cm left side AN diagnosed June 2013

Drs. Thedinger and Milligan at St. Lukes Neurosurgery (Kansas City)

Translab July 2013
Translab round 2 March 2014

arizonajack

• Arizona - It's a Dry Heat
Re: Pre-Surgical Symptomatic Treatment
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2013, 04:34:43 pm »
Seems counter-intuitive to me. In my drinking days (long, long ago) alcohol made me dizzy.

But if it works for you, do it. Just make sure you don't overdo it and if you have to go somewhere just leave the damned car at home.

PS: Forgive me but I have to ask - Why did you let the tumor go unchecked all this time. Must have taken years to grow to 3.8 cm.

3/15/18 12mm x 6mm x5mm
9/21/16 12mm x 7mm x 5mm
3/23/15 12mm x 5.5mm x 4mm
3/13/14 12mm x 6mm x 4mm
8/1/13 14mm x 5mm x 4mm (Expected)
1/22/13 12mm x 3mm (Gamma Knife)
10/10/12 11mm x 4mm x 5mm
4/4/12 9mm x 4mm x 3mm (Diagnosis)

My story at: http://www.anausa.org/smf/index.php?topic=18287.0

milhaus

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2013, 05:01:07 pm »
Its not really that I let it go, its just that I was repeatedly misdiagnosed. I have been going to the doctor for dizziness and vertigo problems for over a year now. I was first diagnosed with BPPV, then allergies. A CAT scan 1 year ago showed nothing. My theory on why alcohol works is because it tends to reduce the amount of information your brain is getting from your vestibular system. This can cause dizziness, but if your vestibular system is already sending your brain bad information then reducing it is helpful. This is the same way all other dizziness meds work I think which is why on the warning labels for all of them warn they can cause dizziness. 
3.8 cm left side AN diagnosed June 2013

Drs. Thedinger and Milligan at St. Lukes Neurosurgery (Kansas City)

Translab July 2013
Translab round 2 March 2014

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2013, 05:55:03 pm »
WOW Milhaus, crazy treatment in my books, but obviously working for you.
Seems you need to get the tumor out ASAP due to size.
I wish you all the best, speedy healing. Always good thoughts, Nancy
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis