Author Topic: scheduled surgery at House  (Read 3479 times)

lostindayton

scheduled surgery at House
« on: October 22, 2013, 07:36:47 pm »
I finally made the decision to schedule my surgery for Nov 14. Now that I am scheduled I am getting extremely scared and anxious.  I am worried about the outcome of the surgery and also recovery. I have a 1.2 cm AN and from what I am reading on the forum a small tumor like mine can be successful with little affect on hearing and facial nerve.Has anyone had a 1.2 cm AN removed at the House and if so what approach was the surgery?  I was told Mid Fossa when I was consulting with Dr Goddard on the phone but I know that approach can also have some damage to facial nerve.
I just wish this was all behind me!!
AN 1.2cm in left ear
slight hearing loss, ringing in ear, fullness
diagnosed 7/19/13
Surgery date scheduled 11/14/13 with Dr Goddard and Dr Schwartz

Jim J.

Re: scheduled surgery at House
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2013, 04:53:02 am »
Since you decided on surgery you're definitely going to the right place. I had a 1.6cm. A.N. removed at House on Aug. 28Th. using the Middle Fossa approach. Everything went as expected, they got all the tumor at the same time preserved my hearing and facial nerve. After 8 weeks still a little more dizzy than before surgery and I tire out toward the evening but hoping that gets better.
I know every surgery is different but I think your chances of success is very good at House Clinic. Try to relax and before you know it you'll be waking up in recovery and it'll be all over.

Good luck.
Jim

lostindayton

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2013, 09:12:36 am »
Thanks Jim I know I made the right decision.  I think waiting is hard and making me more anxious.  Could you tell me if they do another MRI on the day of testing? If they don't how do they know if the tumor has grown or not? Your surgery is an inspiration to me thanks for sharing.  Did you have Dr Schwartz?
AN 1.2cm in left ear
slight hearing loss, ringing in ear, fullness
diagnosed 7/19/13
Surgery date scheduled 11/14/13 with Dr Goddard and Dr Schwartz

sterry

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2013, 08:13:55 pm »
I had Dr. Schwartz, he is very talented and skilled! :) I had a wonderful result.  Best to you next month!
Left AN 3.7 cm. 10-23-09 
HEI Dr. Friedman, Dr. Schwartz
Translab
Doing well

Jim J.

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2013, 04:00:50 am »
I did have Dr. Schwartz, he's the best. No M.R.I. before surgery but they did several hearing and balance tests the day before. No M.R.I. after surgery either, I was just told they got all the tumor. I will get another M.R.I. after one year and if no sign of tumor another one after 5 years.

Jim

kmr1969

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2013, 11:48:07 am »
LID,

I had my surgery at House on 11/13/12, so I will be celebrating my 1 year and 1 day anniversary while you are in the good hands of the doctors at House.  Dr. Schwartz did my surgery with Dr. Brackmann and things have gone very well for me and my tumor was much larger than yours.

You have made a good decision and now you just need to do your best to relax and prepare for your surgery and recovery.  There is no MRI before or after surgery, but they did do a CAT SCAN after surgery in my case.  I assumed that was standard procedure and I really don't remember anything about it except wondering how they got my on the machine, a very bright light, and then hearing Dr. Schwartz say that everything looked normal.  I was still very much drugged up at that point and probably a lot of people just sleep through that entire process.

Keep positive and before you know it, you will be back home and on your road to recovery.

Ken
2.7 cm AN diagnosed June 2012
Translab completed November 2012 at House Clinic
SSD; numbness on face and in mouth, plus poor taste buds, but happy with how I am doing so far