Author Topic: Problems with exercise anyone?  (Read 3789 times)

thedales7

Problems with exercise anyone?
« on: October 13, 2013, 07:26:09 am »
I was wondering if anyone else has found that cardio exercise makes their symptoms worse?  This is by far one of the most frustrating aspects that I'm dealing with right now!  My theory is that the "jostling" around starts my brain into overdrive and hours later I end up with tremendous pressure and headache!  That's one theory anyway. I have Another one though.....I have suspected long before disgnosis that through breathing heavy through my nose my trigeminal nerve gets irritated. It started gradually after cardio with strong burning in mynose which progressed to horrible sneezing fits and then to headaches that landed me in the ER!. I eventually decided it was because of my aterribly deviated septum and bone spur (whichcould be the case) but it makes me wonder if my neuroma somehow causing oversensitivity in the trigeminal nerve? Any one else have issues similiar or have an opinion? Iwould like to bring it up to my doc but I dont want to sound like an idiot!
3mm? (I was in such shock i can't remember! )intracochlear AN/ intralabyrintnine schwannoma right ear
60% low and mid frequency hearing loss
Watch and wait

MDemisay

• Forever Thankful for Supportive ANA Friends!
Re: Problems with exercise anyone?
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2013, 06:07:24 pm »
Desr theDales7,

Please don't be afraid to ask your doctor if exercise of this type can be harmful. If your doctor makes you feel like an idiot get another doctor! I interviewed with 14 doctors. Most of them can be egotistical jerks just remember it's you who has the AN here if it's in the growth stages it maybe giving you additional symptoms. You should not be afraid to discuss them with your doctor.

Others ANers will probably chime in here. It doesn't hurt to get other opinions too!

Mike
1974 - Dr. Michelson  Colombia Presbyterian removal of 3 Arterio Venous Malformations
2004- Dr. Sisti  NY Presbyterian subtotal removal of 3.1 cm AN,
2012 - June 11th Dr. Sisti Gamma Knife (easy-breasily done)"DEAD IRV" play taps!
Research, research, research then decide and trust in God's Hands!

thedales7

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2013, 05:28:52 am »
Desr theDales7,

Please don't be afraid to ask your doctor if exercise of this type can be harmful. If your doctor makes you feel like an idiot get another doctor! I interviewed with 14 doctors. Most of them can be egotistical jerks just remember it's you who has the AN here if it's in the growth stages it maybe giving you additional symptoms. You should not be afraid to discuss them with your doctor.

Others ANers will probably chime in here. It doesn't hurt to get other opinions too!

Mike

Youre right Mike... Up until now I have seen soooo many docs and none of them had a clue what was going on.  I was even told by one that what I was experiencing was "Allodynia " Yeah,  look that one up!  Having a diagnosis now,  hourly my feelings have more validity in their minds. Thank you for the vote of confidence. ...Wish me luck!
3mm? (I was in such shock i can't remember! )intracochlear AN/ intralabyrintnine schwannoma right ear
Watch and wait

robinb

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2013, 10:06:27 am »
Hi-

I had GK in January. You can read my log of the experience on the link below.

Everything fine for 1st 60 days then I started having hemifacial spasms.

To your question, yes, I did experience increased symptoms and dizziness when doing cardio. Short answer is, stop doing anything that exacerbates your symptoms. While I wouldn't call the activity harmful, it is disruptive.

So I did stop, but now everything is back to normal and working out 3-4 times per week.

I am not sure how this translates to your situation being in W&W, but I would encourage you to discuss with your docs.
AN Diagnosed 11-2012 right side
13mm x 7.2 mm
Gamma Knife 1/24/13
UPMC w/Dr. Lunsford
Officially a postie toastie!
See my treatment journal at: http://www.anausa.org/smf/index.php?topic=18291.0

james e

• 72 years, 1.7cm, trans lab Mar 2010, BAHA 5
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2013, 11:07:34 am »
This reminds me of someone hearing a song in the morning and then you cannot get it out of your mind...just drives you crazy. I might be wrong, but when you find out you have a problem, like an AN, everything else that happens  becomes a symptom. Just can't get that AN out of your mind. I know, because I've been there.

My wife just had a bunion removed two weeks ago, and she was laid up for about a week. Everything that went wrong was a symptom of her surgery. Just could not get that bunion out of her mind.

Here is my experience. Just like you, when I found out I had an AN, that had to be the reason all types of things were happening. It scared me. I was reassured by posters here that what I was experiencing was pretty routine. Keep a log about your daily routines. Exercise, diet, time of day, etc and see if you can tie anything together. It might be something real, or it could just be in your mind. Darn that AN.

I am 64 years old and have been athletic all my life. I had a stroke at age 59 because of a hole in my heart (PFO). I had a heart surgery one month later and could not exercise for six months. While driving to my last visit to see my heart surgeon, my doctor called me and said I have an AN. My surgeon said my heart was healthy enough to exercise, and I got started when I got home that afternoon. Six months later I had my AN surgery. My exercise never gave me any problems. It was a real benefit. You will recover much faster because you are in shape. Just keep working out.

You will learn to deal with your AN over a period of time. Darn that stupid song...it will go away after a while!

MDemisay

• Forever Thankful for Supportive ANA Friends!
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2013, 11:17:47 am »
Dear thedales7,

Just checking in again! James has a good point if you keep a regular logbook of times you eat drink and exercise combined with your reaction to each it will help establish a pattern and could lead to a better interview when you speak with your doctor. Good pickup James!!

Mike
1974 - Dr. Michelson  Colombia Presbyterian removal of 3 Arterio Venous Malformations
2004- Dr. Sisti  NY Presbyterian subtotal removal of 3.1 cm AN,
2012 - June 11th Dr. Sisti Gamma Knife (easy-breasily done)"DEAD IRV" play taps!
Research, research, research then decide and trust in God's Hands!

Blags

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2013, 05:01:25 pm »
I had a problem with exercise... That is what prompted me to start seeing drs.  I was getting dizzy and light headed doing same workout regime I had been doing for a year. Obviously the AN was the cause of my dizziness. I did slow down a lot of the exercise prior to surgery bc I found it hard to run... Bouncing horizon bc my eyes couldn't focus, kickboxing would make me loose balance ( too much on one leg and core wasn't strong enough) even lifting light weights would make me dizzy and wonky. However, after surgery when I was cleared to workout (12wks post op) I went back slowly. Withing a few weeks back to my old self. Had to make modifications. I eventually started running again - just dealt with the shaky horizon and eventually it worked itself out. 6 months post op I ran my fastest 5k and actually came in first place for my age (36). So you need to listen to your body but try to push yourself a little. Same way any vestibular therapy is going to bring symptoms on so that your brain can compensate and adjust. I am now 1yr post op, workout and run 6days a week. I have days like today where my run will start with a shaky horizon and then within 5 minutes it sorts it self out. I did fine group exercise classes affect me more than working out at home on my own. I attribute it to the loud music, tight space and many people adding to visual stimulation that throws my balance off.  Hope that helps! Good luck.
Oct 2012 - 1.4cm AN removed retro sigmoid with Dr. Boockvar and Dr. Brown at Weill Cornell NY Presbyterian

thedales7

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2013, 11:50:21 am »
Thank you everyone for your responses!  This is something I have been dealing with for long beforen diagnosis... that is how all my headaches started.  It want untili returned to exercise after being hospitalized for suspected thrombosis, love punctures and 4 epidural blood patches that I realized the headaches triggered them.  Before that I was running about 10 miles per  week.  For me I don't think that having a diagnosis is "creating" symptoms...it is, hopefully giving  an explanation to all the symptoms that the docs kept shrugging their shoulders at.  I have another appt with doc in a month,  I will bring it up to him.. 
Watch and wait