Author Topic: Recovery Question  (Read 1910 times)

milhaus

Recovery Question
« on: October 23, 2013, 06:40:34 pm »
I am now 3 months post translab for a 3.8 cm tumor. My 18 hour surgery got most of the tumor but not all of it. I suffered from a very large pressure sore caused by the length of my operation that has left a bald spot on my head 6 inches long and 3 wide. It still hasn't healed yet. I also suffered from bell's palsy and other taste issues but other than that my doctors say I am recovering very well. My dizziness and balance have improved a lot. I see a lot of stories on this forum of people recovering and saying they feel great after 5 weeks and the doctors all say that it should take 4 to 6 weeks for the fatigue to go away but I am wondering if there are people out there who don't bounce back so quickly. After 3 months I just don't have any energy still. I started taking classes at a major university 1 month after surgery and I have been working part time as well since then so its not like I have just been wasting away on the couch. After surgery I feel that I did my best to bounce back quickly by exercising and resuming normal activities as soon as I could and in this regard I exceeded everyone's expectations. Now though I feel I am expected to manage all these things normally, but I don't feel like I can. I just have no energy, focus, or motivation. Does anyone else feel this way? Is it normal? Does it take some of you longer to find yourselves again?
3.8 cm left side AN diagnosed June 2013

Drs. Thedinger and Milligan at St. Lukes Neurosurgery (Kansas City)

Translab July 2013
Translab round 2 March 2014

DHJ

Re: Recovery Question
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2013, 07:28:00 pm »
Everyone's recovery time is very different. I had 3.1cm removed two years ago and it took me about 6 months to begin normal activities.Now,2 yrs later, I have adjusted to my new normal and life is good.Be patient and remain motivated.Peace Dave
3yr wait and watch on left sided 2.9cm AN is over surgery 11/4/2011 Mckenna/Barker at MGH one year MRI 11/12/2012 all clear