Author Topic: Going ahead with Cyberknife  (Read 3699 times)

BeckyMax

Going ahead with Cyberknife
« on: November 13, 2013, 08:33:10 pm »
I have been watch and wait since 2/2011.   My tumor measured 5x7mm at that time.   Over the past year and a half my hearing had declined pretty dramatically, I took 3 courses of steroids at separate times trying to salvage it to no avail.  My last audiogram showed a word recognition score of only 55% and about 80 decible loss in the mid frequencies to high frequencies and 40 in the low.    My 6 month MRI showed no growth or should I say "substantially unchanged".    But at 18 months the radiologist read it at 7x9mm and then went back and reread the other and found it to be 6x8mm.  Not big numbers but growth nonetheless.    Around about my 18 month mark I also started noticing some sensations in my face on the AN side.  Not pain, but pressure.  you know that sensation you get when you bite into something sour.....that's it.   (and I love sour things, so it takes a lot to get that feeling out of me).    My oto doc wanted me to continue watch and wait, but I'm just not comfortable with that, what are we waiting for anyway?  Growth - check, hearing loss - check, increased tinnitus - check, facial involvement - check.    Oh wait - balance is good, let's wait till I lose that too.    i decided to go back to one of the 3 docs I originally consulted with, who I liked, but just seem to click better with the other doc.  So Dr. M recommends Cyberknife and that's what I'm doing.

I went today for my mask fitting, mri and CT.   The radiation oncologist and Dr. M. will work on the plan together and I will have 3 treatments, 1 week apart.  Probably the first in about 10 days or so.   Sounds like a good plan to me.   I'll keep you all updated.

Becky
7mm x 5 mm Left AN, diagnosed 2/9/12
7mm x 6 mm  8/12
9mm x 7 mm  8/13
Cyberknife 12/13

arizonajack

• Arizona - It's a Dry Heat
Re: Going ahead with Cyberknife
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2013, 10:31:03 pm »
I think you made a wise choice.

My AN was 3mm x 4mm x 9mm when I was diagnosed and my hearing on that side was already 90% gone. Six months later my AN was 4mm x 4mm x 11mm and my AN hearing was 100% gone.

Hopefully, you'll retain serviceable hearing on your AN side once you've zapped the little bugger.

3/15/18 12mm x 6mm x5mm
9/21/16 12mm x 7mm x 5mm
3/23/15 12mm x 5.5mm x 4mm
3/13/14 12mm x 6mm x 4mm
8/1/13 14mm x 5mm x 4mm (Expected)
1/22/13 12mm x 3mm (Gamma Knife)
10/10/12 11mm x 4mm x 5mm
4/4/12 9mm x 4mm x 3mm (Diagnosis)

My story at: http://www.anausa.org/smf/index.php?topic=18287.0

sandyinwisconsin

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2013, 07:43:46 pm »
Becky,

I had my mask made today too.  I was in and out in 10 minutes.  I have to have 27 treatments of fractionated radiation.  I'll be starting soon.

We should keep in touch.  I'm 44 and am feeling guilty about not having surgery.  Are you? 

sandybillbates@gmail.com 

Sandy
1 cm AN deep in the boney canal.  Treated with 26 treatments of radiation in December, 2013.  Please pray with me that this worked.

BeckyMax

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2013, 09:29:15 pm »
Sandy,
I'm 41, and my tumor is about the same size as yours.   I'm not feeling guilty about not having surgery, I decided very early on that it wasn't for me.  I'm actually feeling a little guilty about getting Cyberknife though, my husband is ill and we have had some outrageous medical costs.    I feel as if it is selfish of me to spend money on Cyberknife when it isn't really causing me too many problems.   It seems like everyone has an opinion and people who don't understand will say things like "I would just wait and see if it continues  to grow".  I just want to say "you would huh?"    everyone can say they would do this or that, but really until you are in that situation you don't know what you would do.

Do you know when you will actually start treatment?   I think mine will start in the next 2 weeks.

Becky
7mm x 6 mm  8/12
9mm x 7 mm  8/13
Cyberknife 12/13

sandyinwisconsin

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2013, 06:18:02 am »
I start in 2 weeks too, but I live in Wisconsin, and I have a three hour drive 1 way.  I'm taking a chance with the roads. 

I wish my tumor was a little smaller, and you will probably have more hearing than me.  I lost some sounds and have around 68% speech left. 

I actually feel better now than I did in May - August.  I felt like dirt all summer.  I was dizzy, my head felt like it was cracking open.  I started taking Curcumin and Folic Acid and I'm not sure if that's helping.

My tumor is deep in the boney canal and the doctor said that's rare in itself.  Usually they are towards one end of the canal.

I'm not 100% sold on surgery or radiation so how do I chose?  My husband said I better do something now before our health insurance disappears.

I feel bad about the cancer risk too.  I have two boys ages 12 and 14. 

Where do you live? 

Sandy
1 cm AN deep in the boney canal.  Treated with 26 treatments of radiation in December, 2013.  Please pray with me that this worked.

BeckyMax

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2013, 09:05:21 pm »
LOL!!  Just sent you a private message, asking all of those things!

Becky
7mm x 6 mm  8/12
9mm x 7 mm  8/13
Cyberknife 12/13