Author Topic: it won't be long and I will be a postie  (Read 3964 times)

lostindayton

it won't be long and I will be a postie
« on: November 08, 2013, 05:28:52 am »
The days are coming fast. I am scheduled for surgery Nov 14 and I leave for Los Angeles in 2 days. I don't think reality has hit me yet because I dont feel nervous or anxious like I thought I would be. Maybe once I am there it will hit me? Anyway, I have researched acoustic neuroma and followed this forum for the past 3 months, plus I wake up every morning thinking of this tumor. I am ready to have it removed. I have the best doctors out there taking care of me and a lot of good feedback from the forum regarding the House that helped me decide where I was going. Thank you everyone for all the good information and I will try to keep you updated.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2013, 05:31:55 am by lostindayton »
AN 1.2cm in left ear
slight hearing loss, ringing in ear, fullness
diagnosed 7/19/13
Surgery date scheduled 11/14/13 with Dr Goddard and Dr Schwartz

terisandler

• Radical Mystic
Re: it won't be long and I will be a postie
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2013, 06:24:30 am »
I believe that our attitude plays an important role in outcome and you certainly have a great attitude!!!  Best wishes for the most positive of experiences as you proceed on your journey through surgery and beyond. 
3/25/13- dx 18x11x14 mm AN, hearing loss in right ear x 5+ years, 5 sessions of CK completed May 2013, now a "post toastie".  Follow up MRI 4/14/14 - 15x19x11 mm. Stable with some signs of necrosis.
 Yippee!

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2013, 09:36:18 am »
Lost (in Dayton) ~

By this time next week you'll be a 'postie'!

You are in 'good hands' and your positive attitude will be a benefit as you recover.  I wish you a complication-free, very successful surgery.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

LakeErie

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2013, 12:00:08 pm »
I don't find it unusual that you are are less anxious. As my surgery date approached over a 6 week period, I was more calm each day. I figured I would get more nervous as I got closer to the date, but I never did - until I was being taken to the OR.
The Cleveland Clinic did not provide a pre-op sedative so I was very nervous when in the OR before anesthesia. In contrast, I had a partial colon resection on Sept 30 this year in a different hospital and received Versed via my IV before leaving for the OR and didn't feel anything after that. I obviously prefer the latter.
Once you have made up your mind about treatment things seem to go better. Good luck.
4.7 cm x 3.6 cm x 3.2 cm vestibular schwannoma
Simplified retrosigmoid @ Cleveland Clinic 10/06/2011
Rt SSD, numbness, vocal cord and swallowing problems
Vocal cord and swallowing normalized at 16 months. Numbness persists.
Regrowth 09/19/2016
GK 10/12/2016 Cleveland Clinic
facial weakness Jan 2017

v357139

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2013, 07:31:07 pm »
Lost - Best of luck I am sure it will go well.  I'll be right behind you as I will have surgery at House Nov 20.  Maybe I will see you at Seton.
Dx 2.6 cm Nov 2012, 35% hearing loss.  Grew to 3.5 cm Oct 2013.  Pre-op total hearing loss, left side tongue numb.  Translab Nov 2013 House Clinic.  Post-op no permanent facial or other issues.  Tongue much improved.  Great result!!

jaylogs

• Administrator
  • It's NOT a too-mah! (Anymore!)
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2013, 08:29:18 pm »
Hey Lost! Good luck with your surgery.  I am also a House alumni and it became real for me about the time they were wheeling me into surgery.  You'll no doubt will probably remember the infamous "wall of windows" as you are wheeled from the pre-op area to the surgery floor.  It was a dark rainy day that day I went, so it wasn't so great to see.  Let us know when you can how it goes! take care and remember not to overdo it!
Jay
8.1mm x 7.8mm x 8.2mm AN, Left Ear, Middle Fossa surgery performed on 12/9/09 at House by Drs. Brackmann/Schwartz. Some hearing left, but got BAHA 2/25/11 (Ponto Pro) To see how I did through my Middle Fossa surgery, click here: http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/jaylogston

Suu

• Better out than in.
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2013, 06:14:48 am »
I'm in Australia but I've been a member of this site for 3 years and feel like an honorary yank!
House seems to be the place to go for this type of surger,y or management of ANs, over there and by all reports you are in excellent hands.  Maybe that's why you are calm. Knowing that it will be over soon is comforting in its own right  :D
Posties Rule OK!  ;D ;D ;D
Talk/type soon.
Suu xxoo
4cm Left side AN Translab August 18th 2010
Facial nerve not working
Nerve conduction Jan '11 Repeated 23rd May '11
SSD left side
5 ops in 6 weeks to fix CSF leaks
Tarsorrhaphy 9 Mar '11 Extended 26 Aug '13
Sling Thur 16 June '11
12/7 nerve graft 9 Feb '12