Author Topic: Increased Symptoms after a long flight?  (Read 4027 times)

Nannybee

Increased Symptoms after a long flight?
« on: November 03, 2013, 06:55:39 pm »
Hello all. Has anyone experienced an increase in symptoms after a long flight? I returned from a trip a week ago and had just over a 10 hour flight. Once we landed, I noticed a second intermittent tinnitus sound (like an electrical arc sound) in addition to the constant high pitch I always have and a worsening of my vertigo.
I wanted to give it a little time before calling my ENT to see if it resolved on its own but so far, no improvement.
Similar experiences?
AN 18x19 mm
3 meningiomas
NF2
AN treated with SRS April 2013
MRI Feb 2016 AN shrunk to 17 x 8 mm :)
Constant tinnitus in AN ear
Severe hearing loss AN ear

TJ

• 1.2 cm AN right side, CK November 2010
Re: Increased Symptoms after a long flight?
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2013, 07:25:10 pm »
Nannybee,

Yes, but not from a flight.  My tinnitus seems to change every few months especially if in a loud environment  The one thing that doesn't change, it is ALWAYS there.

jsanders1379

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2013, 12:01:26 pm »
I always have increased symptoms after a return flight to Colorado from anywhere...I always thought it was due to the return to higher altitude/lower air pressure, but that's just a guess...
Jeanne
Dx 10-25-2012
5x6x4 mm
3-27-2013 MRI 9x6x6 mm
GK  5-7-13 Swedish Hospital, Denver

robinb

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2013, 12:21:18 pm »
Hi Jeanne-

My facial spasms were in full swing from April thru June. At that time, I was traveling heavily; 2-5 flights per week. Docs definitely said the cabin pressure and stress were a contributing factor.
AN Diagnosed 11-2012 right side
13mm x 7.2 mm
Gamma Knife 1/24/13
UPMC w/Dr. Lunsford
Officially a postie toastie!
See my treatment journal at: http://www.anausa.org/smf/index.php?topic=18291.0

Nannybee

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2013, 04:16:07 pm »
I'm wondering if the noise was a contributing factor also. We sat right behind the wing and the engine noise was quite loud, even with my headphones on.
AN 18x19 mm
3 meningiomas
NF2

Petrone

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2013, 09:14:42 pm »
I'm wondering if the noise was a contributing factor also. We sat right behind the wing and the engine noise was quite loud, even with my headphones on.

Do yourself a big favor - trade the headphones and the I-Tunes for ear plugs and a good book when flying.  Several hours on a plane with the air pressure and blaring engines will do you no good at all without ear plugs. Every airport in America has a convenience store that sells 2 foam ear plugs for $2-3 bucks.  Better yet, buy 8-10 for that price at Walgreens and carry them with you whenever you travel. You have to be proactive about protecting your hearing, especially if you're SSD. 
1.4cm diagnosed 3/2010
W&W until 1.8cm by 10/2012
GK performed 4/17/2013 at Froedtert in WI
2 years after GK - 1.6cm
3 years after GK - 1.4cm

Crazycat

• Self-Portrait/ "Friends, Romans, countrymen...."
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2013, 01:45:35 am »
This is from something I posted in 2008.....

On my last sojourn to Florida in February I had a bad head cold. As the plane descended into Tampa, I began to notice that I was becoming increasingly deaf in my good ear. We all know what it's like to have our ears close-up and pop open from changing air pressure but together with my sinus infection, my ear closed up and would not open again for more than two hours later. This was the closest I've ever come to experiencing what it must be like to be close to 100% deaf or what is referred to as "profound" deafness.  I mean, I needed a hearing ear dog to get off the plane. I was seriously frightened by what I experienced. It took at least two hours for my ear to reopen. It was a gradual return after a series of loud ripping or crackling sounds in my head while sitting in a restaurant.

It's moments like this that provide a very dramatic demonstration of how completely and utterly deaf you are in an AN effected ear when hearing in the good ear is seriously compromised as well.

I may have spoken of this before but I cannot remember as I do not post as much as I used to. (These days I rarely, if ever, post anything).
5cm x 5cm left-side A.N. partially removed via Middle Fossa 9/21/2005 @ Mass General. 
Compounded by hydrocephalus. Shunt installed 8/10/2005.
Dr. Fred Barker - Neurosurgeon and Dr. Michael McKenna - Neurotologist.

Nannybee

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2013, 02:39:43 pm »
Thanks for the comments everyone.
I saw my ENT today and after a thorough exam he thinks it is the damaged nerve firing haphazardly that is causing my symptoms. Very strange...I hear the buzz, and my eyes start jerking toward the non-AN side. Thankfully it's only for a few seconds at a time. Buzzing stops, eye jerks stop leaving me with just the ever present loud constant high pitched tinnitus I usually have...until the next time.
I had SRS 6 months ago...wish it would just die and get it over with!

AN 18x19 mm
3 meningiomas
NF2