Author Topic: Post Op Issues 15 years later at incision  (Read 2595 times)

noneal

Post Op Issues 15 years later at incision
« on: November 04, 2013, 01:26:56 pm »
Hi all - I am writing for my Mom who is not technically savvy.  We are new to this site. 
She had an acoustic neuroma in 1998 removed at Baptist Hospital in Nashville, TN
by the wonderful Dr. Jackson.  She has since had a double bleed stroke and is doing
miraculously well considering.  Her positivity and thrill for life is contagious.

That being said, she is not an alarmist and I know if she calls with a pain, it is real.
She called today and the incision spot behind her ear from her surgery is sensitive to the touch.
She couldn't even brush her hair it was so painful.  There are 3 large protruding knots as well
around the site.  I am doing my best to get her an appointment with a neuro. 
I wanted to see if any of you have had the same symptoms post op.  Any replies are appreciated.  Thanks so much!

Gloria Nailor

Re: Post Op Issues 15 years later at incision
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2013, 03:39:07 pm »
About 1.5 years after my surgery, my incision was sore, felt like a bad rugburn to the area, it eventually became red and started to drain. I actually had a titanium screw work its way out of my incision! I had to have skull surgery, I had an infection in the metal hardware they had placed during my initial surgery.  They removed all of the metal plates and screws and I received IV antibiotics for a month. I have a small indentation about the size of a ping pong ball at the incision site.  They did not replace the metal due to a chance of another infection.  The bumps she feels may be pieces of the metal and "cement" they used breaking down, I guess everything was broken down in my head when they opened me up. I guess it is not that uncommon. The surgery was really quite easy to recover from. My biggest concern was when I could dye my hair again : ) I barely had any pain after the repair. Just my thoughts.  Good luck to her, she is lucky to have such a caring and helpful family : )
4/2011 diagnosed with 3 cm AN on right side
6/15/2011 retrosigmoid craniotomy which resulted in SSD, severe facial paralysis
7/2011 gold weight placed right eye lid
5/2012 tarsorrpapny right eye
6/2012 woke up with a smile
1/2013 cranioplasty because a screw came out of my head!
6-7/13 regrowth, GK

noneal

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2013, 08:02:18 pm »
Thanks so much for your reply!  Many of the things you said make total sense perhaps for my Mom.
Today she is even worse and we are oh so frustrated with Doctors not returning our calls.
She is having a cat scan tomorrow so hopefully we will know more then.
She has more knots that popped up today and her ear and head on that left side are hot to the touch.
Overall, she just feels terrible and it breaks my heart. 

Gloria Nailor

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2013, 09:48:10 am »
I would think the doctor's would like to see her soon, it sounds like it may be infected, especially if it is red and tender - I remember feeling bumps too and they weren't always in the same spot, so things were definately shifting around in there.  My surgeon said it is not uncommon for the cement to break down, mine was due to an infection.  I hope she has already seen the doc by the time you read this and is feeling a bit better, perhaps they started her on some oral antibiotics. Take care
4/2011 diagnosed with 3 cm AN on right side
6/15/2011 retrosigmoid craniotomy which resulted in SSD, severe facial paralysis
7/2011 gold weight placed right eye lid
5/2012 tarsorrpapny right eye
6/2012 woke up with a smile
1/2013 cranioplasty because a screw came out of my head!
6-7/13 regrowth, GK