Author Topic: New MRI 25 years post surgery - interpretation?  (Read 2509 times)

elsie

New MRI 25 years post surgery - interpretation?
« on: December 11, 2013, 10:17:08 am »
Hi,

I am 25 years post-op.  Having some recurring symptoms, Dr. Wiet and I both think could be my body's reaction to extreme stress.  He did order an MRI, though, and asked me to get the disk that I had it taken at a facility out of his network.

Couldn't help myself, but I did look at the CD and compared it to the images on-line.  There is clearly something there, but what?  I had a massive right side AN that was totally removed during my surgery.  The current image shows a complete white space on the right side, same area on the left is totally blank.  I know that we are not medical professionals here, but has anyone seen a long-time post op MRI?  Am I looking at residual from my original surgery or could this be something else?  Dr. Wiet won't get the report for two days and my anxiety now is through the roof.
Very large AN removed Aug., 1988 - pushed cerebellum aside, touching brain stem
Dr. Wiet in Hinsdale did 12 hour surgery, got it all
Total right-side facial paralysis for 6 months, 50 - 75% return
Extreme dry eye and tinnitus in both ears
Lost all hearing in AN ear
1/8/14  AN Regrowth confirmed

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: New MRI 25 years post surgery - interpretation?
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2013, 02:20:46 pm »
Hi, Elsie -

I don't really know the answers to your questions but am interested to fine out what Dr. Wiet ultimately finds out.

I'm a patient of his medical partner, Dr. Battista.  Had my surgery 5/31/07 with Battista & Kazan.

It's so hard to wait for MRI results.  Hang in there!

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

elsie

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2013, 03:55:29 pm »
Thanks for the reply.

Did a little more research - I am hopeful that it is fat, used to pack the cavity.  I thought they said it would be absorbed, but I googled post-op MRI and saw one sort of similar to mine, but closer to surgery.

Right now, that's my story and I'm sticking to it until I hear from Dr. Wiet!  No sense obsessing until I know the facts.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2013, 11:17:17 am »
Elsie -

I've had all my post op MRIs done @ Adventist Hinsdale hospital (where my AN surgery was).  Dr. Battista always orders them with "fat-suppressing technique" so the fat in my head never shows up on my MRI.

I'm not sure all docs order post op MRIs this way; and I'm not sure all facilities have MRI machines that can do this.

I agree that you shouldn't obsess until you know the facts; I try to live my life that way too  :)

Best,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

elsie

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2013, 01:17:51 pm »
Thanks, that's where my surgery was done as well - horrible, horrible food when I was there...8 day stay and when they messed up my breakfast order on the last day and brought me that thin, watery hospital gruel, I actually broke down in tears - the orderly felt so sorry for me that she  brought a new breakfast immediately.

We tried to get the MRI done there, but the timing didn't work.   I went to North Shore - Highland Park for the MRI, still waiting for results.  If Dr. Wiet had ordered the fat suppresssing technique, I'm sure they would have it.