Author Topic: Packing for Surgery  (Read 5892 times)

clere

Packing for Surgery
« on: January 04, 2014, 08:26:26 pm »
Hi Everyone,
I am leaving Minnesota for California and surgery...... scheduled for January 16 at HOUSE  (unless I have a nervous breakdown first).  This seems a little trivial but can anyone make suggestions on what to pack?  Are there things you brought you didn't need or things you wish you would have had.  Do I need head gear to cover the incision area?  Translab is the option chosen. Thanks to all.

mindyandy

• Loving Life
Re: Packing for Surgery
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2014, 08:51:30 pm »
Your choice of place to have surgery is a great one. You will be in good hands. I had retro & I did not need anything to cover my head. I do suggest comfy clothes. Tops that you do not have to pull over the head.
At least the weather in LA is nice. We just got back from Disneyland. You will be do great. They do a wonderful job taking care of their patients. Please do keep us posted.

Mindy
14mm dx 9/07. CK done Seattle  1 year MRI showed some shrinkage. 4 year MRI 2mm growth nothing conclusive. Trigminal nerve involvment Retrosigmoid Friedmand/Schwartz HEI March 7,2012

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2014, 02:20:15 pm »
Clere ~

My advice is to remember this is a hospital visit, not a vacation so don't pack as if you were going to be socializing a lot (except with doctors and nurses on your case).  Your favorite robe & slippers, some lip balm and comfortable bedclothes along with basic hygiene items such as toothpaste and such should be fine.  Sunglasses for going outside and of course 'street' clothes to wear at discharge.  In short: don't over-pack and keep it simple.

Jim 
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

kcarloy

• Translab 12/11/13 at House
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2014, 10:14:28 pm »
I stayed at Seton for a bit after I was discharged from House before returning home. I did bring regular clothes, it was nice to go to the pier on the beach and a few shopping outings. The incision was not an issue, and I felt no need to cover my head. I had beautiful weather last month, but now snow and cold at home in Idaho.

staypoz

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2014, 12:46:35 pm »
Clere, I always take the following with me when I know I am going to have to stay in the hospital:  a picture of my family and a photo of my garden.  I put them in a cheap double plastic frame so there are no worries about anything breaking.  I am also a big believer in aromatherapy, and I hate hospital smells, so I also bring a little lavender sachet.

Good luck to you!

staypoz

cceekkoo11

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2014, 01:31:21 pm »
I cannot give you advice for what to pack,I am still pre-op and I actually have the same date for surgery as you - Jan 16th. So I just wanted to wish you good luck, be strong, and fast recovery!

v357139

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2014, 03:36:55 pm »
I asked for, and they gave me shower caps that I used for my first shower at Seton.  Then they just had me hold a washrag over the wound while I washed the rest of my head.  Worked out fine.
Dx 2.6 cm Nov 2012, 35% hearing loss.  Grew to 3.5 cm Oct 2013.  Pre-op total hearing loss, left side tongue numb.  Translab Nov 2013 House Clinic.  Post-op no permanent facial or other issues.  Tongue much improved.  Great result!!

clere

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2014, 08:41:58 pm »
cceekkoo11

Good luck to your also!!!  This is no fun but we will soon be able to look back and say "WE MADE IT". 

Kathleen_Mc

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2014, 10:00:48 pm »
Earplugs, if you're inclinded to use them, nurses can be noisy at night! (I'm a nurse, lol) and so can roommates
Slippers, not the flip flop kind but something that stays on your foot
Socks
Pj tops or night gowns that have short sleeves and button up verses pull over (short sleeves better for IV's blood work etc)
lip balm, hand/body cream
Kleenex
cards or something to help pass the time
if you like listening to music your MP3, or whatever you use
Best of luck and speedy recovery
Kathleen
1st AN surgery @ age 23, 16 hours
Loss of 7-10th nerves
mulitple "plastic" repairs to compensate for effects of 7th nerve loss
tumor regrowth, monitored for a few years then surgically removed @ age 38 (of my choice, not medically necessary yet)

MG

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2014, 08:59:50 am »
Thoughts and prayers for a speedy recovery to both Clere, and cceekkoo !
Resides Inverness, Fl.
Diagnosed w/ AN tumor Aug 2013  9x5x6mm
 2016  1.3 CM Touching Brain Stem 
'Wait and Watch' is over. w/ symptons of tinnitus along w/ ear pain and pressure most every day. Will be having Cyber Knife in June 2016

james e

• 72 years, 1.7cm, trans lab Mar 2010, BAHA 5
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2014, 11:04:02 am »
I have a little lap dog that I truly love. My daughter bought  a stuffed animal that looks just like my little dog, but she did not tell me about it. When I woke up in ICU I was a little disoriented and she gave me this wonderful gift. I tucked it under my arm and it was better than the drugs they were dripping into me. Other than that, I just took the usual overnight stuff. Still have that stuffed animal from 4 years ago. Good medicine.

James

TexasSprinter

« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2014, 11:06:24 pm »
Best wishes for tomorrow!