Author Topic: Surgery Scheduled!  (Read 7403 times)

JamesP

Surgery Scheduled!
« on: December 17, 2013, 11:29:16 pm »
Hey, guys.  I've posted a couple of times here, but it's been a whirlwind adventure (if you could call it that) for the last few weeks.

To review, I was diagnosed with a left-side AN, 2.7 cm, in mid-October.  I've experienced headaches, dizziness, tinnitus, and some facial numbness.  The tumor is pressing on my brainstem.

Being in the military, I've had to jump through some interesting hoops to get a referral.  However, I was finally referred to Vanderbilt Skull Base Center.  I met with Drs. Wanna (neurotologist) and Weaver (neurosurgeon).  Prior to the meeting, I had my hearing tests.  I have 100% speech recognition and little to no hearing loss with hearing being almost equal on both sides.  The neurotologist mentioned that he preferred doing a translab with this size tumor; however, he did not rule out retro-sig.  The neurosurgeon recommended retro-sig.  Interestingly enough, the neurosurgeon has SSD (didn't say why), so he feels it's worth the risk to do retro-sig to try and preserve my hearing.  We've scheduled the surgery for 6 January.

That said, he wasn't very hopeful for hearing preservation.  Both doctors desire is facial nerve preservation, followed by total tumor removal, and finally hearing preservation.  I feel very comfortable with this plan and am hoping everything works out.  I'd love to retain my hearing, but my biggest concern is with the facial nerve.  The neurosurgeon feels that success would be tumor removal and HB score of 1-2 within 6 months.  I know every surgery is different, but I'm definitely concerned.

The other thing that weighs heavily on me is my continued military service.  Obviously, the best outcome is the tumor is removed, I have no facial paralysis/hearing loss, and I stay in the military.  I've already been told that, regardless of the outcome, my continued military service will be reviewed.  Having reached 12 years, I've been on track to do at least 20 years and retire.  Hopefully, that will still happen.
2.7 x 2.5 x 2.3 cm left AN
Diagnosed: 16 October 2013
Ear fullness, tinnitus, headaches, neck pain

Derek

Re: Surgery Scheduled!
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2013, 06:22:47 am »
Hi James...

Bit of a blow to be diagnosed with one of these buggers at your age but I do believe that in your case you have made the right decision for early excision of the tumour. You have that all important trust in your surgical team and your age and level of fitness will enable you to hopefully make a rapid and full recovery post surgery. I have had single-sided hearing loss since diagnosis almost 12 years ago and whilst there is a period of adjustment required it is quite remarkable how the brain adapts and compensates in such circumstances. You may not of course have this to contend with and hopefully you will be able to continue with your military career. Prior to my retirement in 2004 I was a senior homicide detective and was diagnosed 2 years before my retirement and the single-sided hearing loss did not impact upon my ability to carry out my duties.

Very best wishes for a successful outcome to your forthcoming surgery on 6th January and do have a very happy Christmas and successful New Year.

Best Regards

Derek
Residing UK. In 'watch & wait' since diagnosis in March 2002 with right side AN. Initially sized at 2.5cm and now self reduced to 1.3cm.
All symptoms have abated except impaired hearing on affected side which is not a problem for me.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2013, 10:58:33 am »
Good luck with your surgery, James.

I'm hopeful everything will go well for you!

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

kcarloy

• Translab 12/11/13 at House
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2013, 09:59:21 pm »
Good luck think positive!

TexasSprinter

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2013, 08:52:14 pm »
James--best of luck to you and thank you for your many years of service.

kcarloy

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2014, 09:25:23 pm »
Look forward to hearing how your recovery is going!

JamesP

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2014, 08:55:35 pm »
Thanks, everyone, for the thoughts and prayers!

Surgery is slated for tomorrow morning.  Report time 0530, should be getting wheeled into surgery at 0730.  The surgeons are estimating a 10-hour surgery.  Guess I'll finally get caught up on some sleep!   ;D

See y'all on the flip side!

TexasSprinter

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2014, 12:12:54 am »
I look forward to your positive reports in the coming days.
Scott

clere

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2014, 08:06:19 am »
Thinking of you this morning, wishing you well and will be waiting for your positive post op post!!!!

JamesP

Surgery Done!
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2014, 08:22:00 pm »
Hey, guys.  Thanks so much for your thoughts and prayers last week as I underwent surgery.  Things went very well, and my surgeons were quite pleased with the prognosis.  I have very little balance issues, especially compared to what I had expected.  Within the first 24 hours, I was up and walking, albeit slowly and gingerly, through the halls.  I was released from the hospital post-op day 3 and have been recovering with my parents for the last few days.  Other than getting over the initial weariness of riding in a car and changing positions, things seem to be getting better daily.  Over the last few days, I've increased my walking distance to over 1 mile, although today had almost no walking with bad weather and really bad headache/earache.

Unfortunately, the highest probability complication did occur, and that is that I am SSD on the left side.  I have an audiogram scheduled for next week to confirm, but I am almost 100% certain this was the outcome.  I'm not too upset, as I got through the surgery with no facial nerve issues and very slight balance/vision issues.  Even though I had prepared myself for this possibility, there's really no way to be ready until it actually happens.  As it stands right now, one week post-op, I know things will get a lot better and, in time, I will be happy that this was completed.  I'm just looking forward to the next week or so of pain and wonkiness to continue to subside.

kcarloy

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2014, 10:15:32 pm »
Glad surgery is over! Day by day, week by week you will improve, down days are expected along the way. Your walking is excellent. When I'm feeling unmotivated or was slightly "sea sick" a walk always helped me. One month after surgery, I am lifting hay bales on the 4 whlr and cautiously starting to ride my horses with supervision to check my positioning and balance. You sound like you are doing very well! The SSD has a few benefits you will find, like falling asleep with the radio on, too lazy to get up and turn it off, so turn the deaf ear to it:)

DeeDeeR

« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2014, 11:15:26 am »
James, So glad you are doing so well.  I too, had my surgery done at Vandy.  My Doctors were Weaver and Bennett.   It sounds like our tumor size and outcomes were very similar.  I am 11 weeks post op and am pretty much back to normal, no facial damage and healing great.   Of course I am SSD, wobble sometimes and that horrible taste in my mouth with occasional numbness.  Try vestibular therapy when the doctor recommends that it could be helpful.  I have good days and bad days, each day is a surprise...never know what to expect.  I hope you continue to improve and get back to being "you".  God Bless!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2014, 08:57:02 pm »
Glad things went well.

I'm SSD on the left from my surgery also.  I found that a BAHA was a great solution for me.  There are also other options - Transear, Cros, Soundbite - if you just aren't a BAHA person.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

TexasSprinter

« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2014, 09:08:53 pm »
JamesP--it sounds like things went remarkably well under the circumstances.  I also became SSD after my first AN surgery but thankfully did not have permanent facial nerve damage.  It was a few months before I felt somewhat normal as far as balance/vertigo/wonkiness goes.  I'm one year since becoming SSD and still getting used to it.  When the dust settles from the surgery, you may want to look into hearing devices.  I looked into Phonak Cros, Baha, and Soundbite.  All good options depending on a person's personal preferences.  I went with a Phonak Cross system.  It doesn't help much in noisy environments but is helpful in quieter environments.  Keep us posted on your progress.  Congrats again on a successful outcome.
Scott