Author Topic: If not AN then what?  (Read 4322 times)

Kathy F

If not AN then what?
« on: January 14, 2014, 09:26:19 am »
Hello all. I apologize for posting since I do not have a diagnosis of AN. BUT I have been searching for an answer. I have constant tinnitus in left ear, moderate hearing loss in that ear (that I didn't notice but showed up on testing), some odd brain-freeze type or spike headaches on left side off and on and some subtle balance issues, mostly left side and then also a feeling like I am on a rocking boat and have to gain footing occasionally. Going for an MRI (in 2 wks) to rule out AN and ENT says 5% chance only. But what I have been trying to find out is--if it's not AN, then what is it usually or do they just not know? Any info you all have gathered in your searches along the way?

And does anyone know what the odds are for someone having these symptoms of it being AN?  Many thanks!
« Last Edit: January 14, 2014, 04:15:30 pm by Kathy F »

james e

• 75years, 1.7cm, trans lab Mar 2010, BAHA 5
Re: If not AN then what?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2014, 10:42:24 am »
Guessing for the answer is a sure sign of anxiety. Your ENT is on the right track. My first ENT guessed the diagnosis and missed. He sent me to a neurologist, and he guessed and missed. My "every day" doctor sent me for an MRI and they found my AN. Guessing is fun, but it is not the answer. Guessing cost me two years, and it may be the reason I am SSD now.

The MRI is the right way to go. Why is it taking two weeks to get an MRI? Push the doc to get one earlier. I got one the day after my doc asked for one, and I got another one within 15 minutes. Let him know your urgency.

I hope you just have some type of infection so it will clear up, but if you have an AN you are in  the right place for support.

James

Kathy F

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2014, 01:28:06 pm »
Thanks James. I think the dr didn't feel urgency because she said it was highly unlikely it was AN bc most of the time when they send people for MRI, it's not. But my question was also just what are the other causes of these kinds of symptoms? I feel like I probably have AN, don't know why, but just feel I might because I feel a bit off, and have odd headaches and my tinnitus came on suddenly and is constant and only in one ear. Maybe since everyone here had an AN they wouldn't really know about the other possible causes!  ;D But I thought maybe from reading...when I type in my symptoms, the only thing that comes up is AN. (PS i didn't/dont have an infection and doc says there is no wax or fluid)

Anyway, thanks and I will post again when I know more. meanwhile if anyone has any info to share, thanks in advance.

arizonajack

• Arizona - It's a Dry Heat
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2014, 10:38:22 pm »

1 - constant tinnitus
2 - moderate hearing loss
3 - headaches
4 - balance issues

When I googled those symptoms that way I came up with explanations of other disorders in addition to acoustic neuroma.

Check this out:

http://vestibular.org/understanding-vestibular-disorder/types-vestibular-disorders

This might answer the question about what other possible conditions might be causing your symptoms.
3/15/18 12mm x 6mm x5mm
9/21/16 12mm x 7mm x 5mm
3/23/15 12mm x 5.5mm x 4mm
3/13/14 12mm x 6mm x 4mm
8/1/13 14mm x 5mm x 4mm (Expected)
1/22/13 12mm x 3mm (Gamma Knife)
10/10/12 11mm x 4mm x 5mm
4/4/12 9mm x 4mm x 3mm (Diagnosis)

My story at: http://www.anausa.org/smf/index.php?topic=18287.0

Kathy F

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2014, 07:14:03 am »
Thanks so much. That helps a lot. I will wait to see what MRI says, and hope not to need further support!  ;)

Kristena

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2014, 11:47:36 am »
Well I certainly hope you find out it's something easily treated or can be lessened.

That was quite a long list of possibilities! We can also add "Meningioma." It's a benign brain tumor that can appear anywhere along the lining of the brain, but in my case it grew right at the base of the brain and expanded into the inner ear canal and looks and acts exactly like an AN: dizziness, tinnitus, balance issues and some facial ticks and swallowing issues (which may or may not be related, but I say they are).

I wish you the best, and I hope we don't hear anything further from you except that you don't have an AN!
2.7 cm meningioma in CPA and IAC
Retrosig June 2013 resulted in Facial paralysis and SSD
6-mo post-op MRI showed 1.0 cm remains in IAC
3-yr MRI still shows no new growth!
6/2014 Baha magnet implanted; 8/2014 magnet removed due to poor healing; 9/2014 abutment installed. Hearing fine!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2014, 12:23:11 pm »
I feel a bit off, and have odd headaches and my tinnitus came on suddenly and is constant and only in one ear

These aren't necessarily symptoms of an AN, although it's possible you have one.

I never felt a bit off, had odd headaches, or tinnitus - either prior to my diagnosis or after my surgery.  There are lots of people who have tinnitus who don't have ANs, and there are lots of people with ANs who never had tinnitus (I am one).

That said, not everyone with an AN has the same exact symptoms.  The only way to diagnosis an AN is with a MRI (preferably with gadolinium contrast) so in my opinion you should push your doctor for one.

Keep us posted,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Kathy F

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2014, 10:36:02 am »
Thanks all! I have my MRI with contrast scheduled for late next week. Will be anxious to know results! Hoping it's not AN or any other kind of tumor. Either way sounds like the tinnitus is here to stay.