Author Topic: Newbie -- 2 yrs post-op and just found this site!  (Read 2770 times)

Hokiegal

Newbie -- 2 yrs post-op and just found this site!
« on: February 16, 2014, 07:29:18 pm »
Hello everyone!  I can't believe it has taken me over two years to find this forum!  To be honest, I work on a computer all day, so when I come home, getting back on a computer is not high on my list of things to do.  And by the time my AN was diagnosed, after months of excruciating headaches, I was just so grateful to find an actual, physical cause that I was eager to proceed with surgery, and did not do a lot of research.  Thankfully I had a wonderful surgeon, but the tumor had tentacles, and, like many of you, there were complications -- SSD, facial paralysis, dry eye, and severe balance issues.  So there I was, home on medical leave for 4+ months, but with poor vision, so again -- no computer.  Anyway, I have finally found this forum, and I am so grateful!  Thank you all for sharing your journeys -- you have already helped me immeasurably.  Blessings to you and yours.  :)
3.0cm AN diagnosed 08/11, age 47
surgery 09/11, Dr. Patel (MUSC), 95% removed
SSD with tinnitus, right side facial paralysis, vision and balance issues
facial movement much improved, and still returning after 3yrs
"We are better than we think, and not quite what we want to be."  Nikki Giovanni

Echo

Re: Newbie -- 2 yrs post-op and just found this site!
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2014, 05:55:15 pm »
Hello Hokiegal!

Glad you finally found us.  It's wonderful how helpful this forum can be just from reading the posts! I spent many months reading posts and learning about AN's prior to actually joining in and posting my own thoughts and questions.  There is something quite comforting about having others to touch base with that are travelling this same road.

Take care,
Cathie.
Diagnosed: June 2012, right side AN 1.8cm
June 2013: AN has grown to 2.4 cm.
Gamma Knife: Sept. 11, 2013 Toronto Western Hospital

mandy721

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2014, 08:01:47 pm »
Hi,
I have been part of this community for 4+ years, since my husband was diagnosed.  It continues to be an important part of my life and provides a wonderful forum for sharing experiences, thoughts and ideas. My husband had a complicated outcome with many of the problems you are dealing with.  Through my involvement with this forum,  I  became a local support group leader and find that the camaraderie of our group makes a big difference in my life, as well as those of our members.  If you have a support group nearby, try to attend a meeting.  There is a special bond amongst us.
Glad you found us.
Miranda
Husband diagnosed 5/30/09 with 3.2cm right AN
Surgery at  Columbia Presbyterian 8/4/09
Platinum eye weight implant - 8/17/09
17 days in hospital and rehab
SSD, facial weakness, some tinnitus, headaches , balance and eye problems

Hokiegal

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2014, 10:17:37 am »
Cathie and Miranda, thanks so much for your kind words of encouragement!  I have been so focused on physical recovery and trying to maintain my job that I am just now coming to terms emotionally with what happened.  So I appreciate your words more than you may know.  I'm also looking into joining a support group.  The closest to me is in Columbia, SC, about 90 miles away. 

Thanks again,
Mary
"We are better than we think, and not quite what we want to be."  Nikki Giovanni

Skishortstuff

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2014, 08:55:28 pm »
Mary,
Thanks for replying to me and telling me a little of your story! What a long road and I'm glad you found this- it's really helped me and I met a wonderful group leader that even called me up and calmed me down a bit. It looks like ours is the same size, but what are tentacles? I'm having the translab- what did you have and  where was yours? Are you able to work full time yet? I'm so sorry for your pain thanks for sharing and being there- I'll for sure keep you posted on mine...I'm glad you found Pilates- yoga changed my whole life although I've been so dizzy lately I just want this thing out now that I know it's not my neck that ails me. Anyway, I hope everyday you are getting stronger! All my best,
Steph :D
AN diagnosed 3/10/14 3cm ear- scheduled translab 4/1 at Swedish-- Retrosigmoid/Sub-occipital Approach:4/1/14 tumour was actually 4., SSD, complete vestibular removal

Hokiegal

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2014, 05:04:59 pm »
Hi Steph, thanks so much for the reply!  I am so glad you found this forum early, and that you have connected with someone in your area.

As far as the tentacles, that was just a description they used for my tumor.  It had branches, like an octopus, that wrapped around the nerves, which made the surgery a lot more complicated.  But that is a very unusual situation which my surgeon had only seen a few times out of several hundred.

I wouldn't be concerned about the similarity in our tumor size.  As I'm sure others have said, tumor size alone isn't an absolute predictor of outcome.  And it sounds like you have opted for a very experienced surgery team, so you're in good hands :)

I returned to work after four months, part time for the first couple of months, then full-time for almost two years now.  It has been challenging.  I work as an engineer in an R&D environment, and for eleven months I could not close my right eye.  So I had to keep a lubricant on it, sort of like Vaseline, which effectively made me a one-eyed engineer for a while.  I also struggled with fatigue.  HOWEVER, I was not in good physical shape prior to my surgery.  If I could change one thing, I would have delayed my surgery by three months and hired a personal trainer to totally kick my behind into shape.  In my experience, exercise not only helps with balance, but also with the fatigue issue.  That's why I am so glad to hear you are an avid yoga person -- you must be in great shape, and you know how to use yoga breathing to calm yourself.

Oh, you asked about my surgery.  I first consulted a very well-regarded local neurosurgeon.  He had some experience in AN, but he politely declined my surgery and strongly encouraged me to go with someone with extensive AN experience, which meant travel outside my immediate area.  Actually, he flat out told me not to let ANY local surgeon touch this, because we are in a small city and none of the local surgeons have much AN experience.  He recommended MUSC in Charleston, SC, and Duke University, and they used the suboccipital approach, hoping to preserve my hearing. 

I will tell you that, although I experienced some complications that we had hoped to avoid, I have no regrets other than being out of shape going into surgery.  Yes, I have partial facial paralysis, and lost the hearing in one ear, but I learned it's not the end of the world.  So many great things have happened as a result of my "adventure in neurosurgery".  I have met many new and dear friends, including my facial/speech therapist and my pilates instructor, and I am now closer to many of my "old" friends.  My faith has deepened, and doors have opened to share my faith that would not otherwise have existed.  I gained a deeper appreciation of my husband and of the depth of his love for me.  I even met the band Switchfoot -- their song "Dare You To Move" is my theme song -- and got to tell them how much their music helped me in my recovery (you should have seen the looks on their faces -- priceless!)  This whole experience forced me to SLOW DOWN and enjoy the ride. 

Thank you again for your kind words.  Please feel free to contact me if you have other questions, or just need to talk.  I am confident that you will have a successful outcome, and that you will look back on this as a bump in the road.  Hopefully you will even find blessings in the experience, as I did.

Oh, and I highly recommend that you find a theme song if you don't already have one.  You can borrow mine if you'd like!

Mary