Author Topic: Side Effects of Tinnitus  (Read 2670 times)

terisandler

• Radical Mystic
Side Effects of Tinnitus
« on: March 19, 2014, 02:04:40 pm »
Just received an email that I thought was interesting.  I am curious to read feedback about this.  Personally, I have had constant tinnitus for at least five years and feel I am used to it.  I am not certain I am negatively affected by tinnitus, but I guess I can't really be objective about my own experiences.

http://www.hear-it.org/Gender-a-factor-in-the-side-effects-of-tinnitus
3/25/13- dx 18x11x14 mm AN, hearing loss in right ear x 5+ years, 5 sessions of CK completed May 2013, now a "post toastie".  Follow up MRI 4/14/14 - 15x19x11 mm. Stable with some signs of necrosis.
 Yippee!

joanna_an

Re: Side Effects of Tinnitus
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2014, 05:17:27 pm »
Unfortunately chronic diseases in general affect women more:
http://www.webmd.com/depression/guide/chronic-illnesses-depression

This is an article about depression caused by chronic illness.. Women are more likely to be depressed than men.. :(
31 years old female
Left AN 18x16x13mm diagnosed on the 17th of October 2013
21mm on the 19th of February 2014
Hearing loss, tinnitus
SRT 12th March 2014

Echo

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2014, 05:57:20 pm »
I would think the type and degree of tinnitus would have a definite impact on someone.  I'm able to ignore mine most of the time quite easily as it just sounds like "white noise".  I can't even remember when it first surfaced.  I'm sure if it were the loud whistling, squealing or hissing sound that others endure it would be very difficult to live with. 

I also believe some people cope better with some things than others do. We are all different and have different levels of tolerance. Interesting how both articles specify that these issues seem to be more popular with women!  Makes us extra special!!

Cathie.
Diagnosed: June 2012, right side AN 1.8cm
June 2013: AN has grown to 2.4 cm.
Gamma Knife: Sept. 11, 2013 Toronto Western Hospital

james e

• 75years, 1.7cm, trans lab Mar 2010, BAHA 5
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2014, 09:09:35 am »
"Your own experience" is the key this problem. There is not a meter that someone can connect to your brain and measure how you will react to tinnitus. You have to decide how you will react.

I was in Viet Nam in the 60's and the first time I was on the receiving end of a rocket attack I was scared to death. There was the lingering fear of another attack, and it just wore me down thinking about it. However, you finally come to grips with it, and just becomes another part of you day...just not a big deal anymore.

Tinnitus, to me, is just like that. It is like dripping water, drip, drip, drip. It will wear you down. Some people live in fear of hearing those crickets or  that "EEEEEEEEEEEEEEE" sound. My experience is I just live with it. It is one of the cards I got dealt. Constant imbalance. One of the cards I got dealt. Short term memory loss from a stroke. One of the cards I got dealt.

Life is good. NONE of those cards is going to make me have a bad day. That is my experience...and I'm sticking to it.

James