Author Topic: post retro-sig can't type or play guitar with left hand well  (Read 6888 times)

dukerman

post retro-sig can't type or play guitar with left hand well
« on: April 29, 2014, 02:55:28 pm »
I had a left 4.2 cm AN removed via retro-sig last march. Recovery is going well I think. My left hand is getting better, but I can't type as fast as I used to.  I also used to play guitar and my fingers on my left hand have little control.

Basically, my left side is uncoordinated.  My fingers act like they are wild.

I told my surgeons and they didn't seem too concerned about it.  He told me to keep practicing typing and it will come back in time.  My finger control is better but recovery seems to have plateau'd.

I'm worried my cerebellum was bruised or injured.  My brain stem was compressed pre-surgery due to the size.

My typing is getting better and my left hand has more control.  Immediately after surgery, I could not tell my left hand to control the keys strokes at all!  My left hand hits the wrong keys or double strikes the key.

I am walking without a walker as my balance is getting better.  Of course my left leg is weaker and a bit wild like my hand.

james e

• 72 years, 1.7cm, trans lab Mar 2010, BAHA 5
Re: post retro-sig can't type or play guitar with left hand well
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2014, 09:08:09 am »
You are just a couple of months since your surgery. Your brain is in a "plastic" state right now, trying to reorganize itself. It will all come back. I had horrible balance issues and with lots of balance therapy (practicing) I got pretty steady again. Do not get frustrated...just keep practicing. Go back to the basics. Play scales. Do not quit playing.

The recovery from this surgery is long term. Not trying to sound mean, just trying to encourage you...I went through this also...just put your big boy pants on, put your heard down, and keep going on.

There was a great post on BOOKS about brains about 2 years ago. The little gremlins in your head are rearranging the chairs on the deck. You will find the chairs, and can start relaxing again...just keep looking.

James

LakeErie

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2014, 03:04:06 pm »
I had problems with my hand post surgery. I had severe weakness and could not turn the key in my front door or move my little finger much. The underside of my little and ring fingers were cold all the time. It turned out to be a nerve compression from the A-line inserted in my wrist to monitor my blood pressure and blood gasses during the surgery. I gradually returned to normal over many months. Am not saying your problem is the same thing, just presenting it as a possibility. Good luck.
4.7 cm x 3.6 cm x 3.2 cm vestibular schwannoma
Simplified retrosigmoid @ Cleveland Clinic 10/06/2011
Rt SSD, numbness, vocal cord and swallowing problems
Vocal cord and swallowing normalized at 16 months. Numbness persists.
Regrowth 09/19/2016
GK 10/12/2016 Cleveland Clinic
facial weakness Jan 2017

Tod

• My blog (work and life)
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2014, 06:10:20 pm »
Four years ago I experienced the same thing, only with a banjo. I made the mistake of giving up, in part because I had no voice and could not talk, let alone sing. I can sing a few bars now, but rarely a whole song. I'm having to work hard to relearn playing now.

Don't give up with playing. It is good therapy and will help your recovery.

Tod
Bob the tumor: 4.4cm x 3.9cm x 4.1 cm.
Trans-Lab and Retro-sigmoid at MCV on 2/12/2010.

Removed 90-95% in a 32 hour surgery. Two weeks in ICU.  SSD Left.

http://randomdatablog.com

BAHA implant 1/25/11.

28 Sessions of FSR @ MCV ended 2/9/12.

v357139

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2014, 08:12:15 pm »
I have seen people with your issue.  The ones I have seen were temporary.  Keep working at it.  Also, there must be a physical therapist who can maximize your recovery.  Even if your doctor did not propose one, I'd go ahead and find one myself.  Can only help.  I am sure it will come back.  Best of luck.
Dx 2.6 cm Nov 2012, 35% hearing loss.  Grew to 3.5 cm Oct 2013.  Pre-op total hearing loss, left side tongue numb.  Translab Nov 2013 House Clinic.  Post-op no permanent facial or other issues.  Tongue much improved.  Great result!!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2014, 09:53:47 am »
I had a left 4.2 cm AN removed via retro-sig last march.

I'm a little unclear here.  Was your surgery in March 2013 or March 2014?

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

dukerman

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2014, 01:36:55 pm »
March 2014

Thank you for all the informative replies.  It is comforting to talk to people who have experienced the same thing.

It is frustrating to walk into the hospital "normal" and be wheeled out feeling worse not being able to walk.

only symptom i had pre-surgery was some hearing loss.

I highly mis-calculated how long and frustrating my recovery was going to be..  I honestly thought i'd be a spring chicken in a week.

I'll keep everyone updated on my recovery process

Tod

• My blog (work and life)
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2014, 07:59:34 pm »
Hang in there. I had anticipated a few weeks recovery after a 14-18 hour surgery. Instead, it was a 32-hour surgery, two weeks of ICU, three months at home, and multiple follow-up procedures to speak and then radiation for the tumor. It is sometimes difficult for the doctors to always accurately forecast what will happen. Every patient is different.

-Tod
Bob the tumor: 4.4cm x 3.9cm x 4.1 cm.
Trans-Lab and Retro-sigmoid at MCV on 2/12/2010.

Removed 90-95% in a 32 hour surgery. Two weeks in ICU.  SSD Left.

http://randomdatablog.com

BAHA implant 1/25/11.

28 Sessions of FSR @ MCV ended 2/9/12.

Hokiegal

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2014, 08:40:10 pm »
The brain does strange things.  Not too long ago, I sat down and played piano for over an hour (longer than usual for me).  I then immediately went to my computer for some on-line banking and found I could not type.  My fingers instead kept moving as if on a piano keyboard.  It took several minutes of concentration before my fingers "remembered" how to type.  This was two years post-op, and was the first time such a thing had happened.  Very alarming, to say the least.  The parade of doctors had no explanation.  I just think the brain gets overloaded at times.  Maybe it's not as elastic as it used to be after having a big honking tumor compressing the brain stem.  Keep playing, though.  I backed off piano for a while but I truly believe it is very therapeutic.  I have to believe the brain is still recovering from the trauma it's been through. 
3.0cm AN diagnosed 08/11, age 47
surgery 09/11, Dr. Patel (MUSC), 95% removed
SSD with tinnitus, right side facial paralysis, vision and balance issues
facial movement much improved, and still returning after 3yrs
"We are better than we think, and not quite what we want to be."  Nikki Giovanni

Crazycat

• Self-Portrait/ "Friends, Romans, countrymen...."
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2014, 12:25:11 am »
Hey Duke,

I've pasted a link to a post I made (in 2006 no less!) and chain of replies on the very topic you are concerned about.
It is very informative. It's a four-pager!!

And the answer is "no", my abilities have yet to return to what they were pre-op—better and improved a bit yes, but not full-throttle.

Here it is:  http://www.anausa.org/smf/index.php?topic=2650.msg27897#msg27897
« Last Edit: May 06, 2014, 12:40:41 am by Crazycat »
5cm x 5cm left-side A.N. partially removed via Middle Fossa 9/21/2005 @ Mass General. 
Compounded by hydrocephalus. Shunt installed 8/10/2005.
Dr. Fred Barker - Neurosurgeon and Dr. Michael McKenna - Neurotologist.

SDTom

« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2014, 02:19:35 pm »
Hi,
I am in a similar position to you but have little musical talent. The more you use the affected hand the better it will be. I lost all control when I had meningitis three years ago. I was right handed and it affected my right side. I am still not where I was but things are still improving but very slowly. You may not think things are progressing quickly enough but unfortunately you might not have as much control as you want.
Tom
June 2011 3.8 cm tumor debulked.
July 2011 Hydrocephalus, Meningitis.
August 2011 shunt installed.
Sept 2011 28 rounds of radiation.
Things kept getting worse
March 2012 tumor removal at Mayo clinic

ampeep

« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2014, 01:10:40 pm »
My friend had a stroke 1 year ago --  he's done really good is about 95% back.  He's a really good musician (guitar, keyboard, vocals & drums) but hasn't played any instruments since his stroke.

We were discussing his stroke & my AN and he noticed some similarities between our experiences, since both are related to the brain.  Thought that was an interesting observation. 
8/2/13 - diagnosed 1.9 CM right side; 1/13/14 - MRI it got bigger!; 2/10/14 - GK; 8/18/14 - shrinking; 8/17/15 - still shrinking, reduced symptoms