Author Topic: can't believe I have an acoustic neuroma I don't have any symptoms except hear  (Read 3525 times)

maryanddavidsmith

I was diagnosed with a 1.1 left ear acoustic neuroma last July.  The only symptom I show is a 50% hearing loss.  I had a 6 month follow up MRI and one doctor thought it grew to 1.2 . I went for a second opinion and the doctor said he wasn't sure it had grown. It may have been the way my head was placed the second time for my MRI.  I waited another 6 months and are heading for a new MRI.  It just doesn't seem real that I have an acoustic neuroma with so few symptoms.  I just don't believe I need any treatment versus some of the other problems people have on this.

Mary 

robertwh2

• Personal Blog
Hey Mary,

I can relate. 4.5 years ago when I went to see the dr and had my first MRI I had a little ringing in my left ear and minor hearing loss. It was very hard to go from what I thought was some hearing damage from work or lawn mowing to having a tumor.  My AN was much larger when found and hearing was 80% gone by the time I had my surgery.

I pray for peace as you walk through your AN journey.
Diagnosed Feb 2010 with 2.3cm x 3.2cm left side AN
Trans Lab May 26, 2010 tumor had grown to 4.5cm, University of Michigan
Subsequent MRIs are clear
Left single sided deafness

keithmac

I was diagnosed with a 1.1 left ear acoustic neuroma last July.  The only symptom I show is a 50% hearing loss.  I had a 6 month follow up MRI and one doctor thought it grew to 1.2 . I went for a second opinion and the doctor said he wasn't sure it had grown. It may have been the way my head was placed the second time for my MRI.  I waited another 6 months and are heading for a new MRI.  It just doesn't seem real that I have an acoustic neuroma with so few symptoms.  I just don't believe I need any treatment versus some of the other problems people have on this.

Mary 

With a 6 monthly MRI scan regimen you're doing what I'd be comfortable with - I'm fine on just a 12 months one.

Clearly your hearing loss is important but can't be reversed anyway.  If it doesn't get worse, and if you're not getting any other symptoms such as balance problems, I reckon I'd be inclined to keep watching and waiting and leave things alone until there's certainty the thing has become larger.